GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oops, they did it again..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/04/00 at 15:11
Regular
If any of you have seen the recent news articles on "surveys" into gaming and agressive behaviour, maybe you'll feel as dissapointed as me. It happens time and time again, foney researchers try to fool the population with their scaremongering results of cheap experiments.
This time they took two groups of individuals, one who played violent vidoe games, another who didn't, and found via 'psychological analysis' (which stinks of fudged results) that those who played violent games were in turn more agressive. Playing on parental fears and hiding behind scientific terms, they ignored the simple truth that those with more agressive personas will naturally tend towards more agressive games as a safe outlet. As always happens, there is nobody to point this out to the people watching or reading this, the news companies know they will also benefit from the sham, holding thir viewing figures, so what remains is parents blinded by matenal/paternal instinct to the point that they won't look at the report objectively. And every time it works, while the only consequences the glorified con men consider is what's going to happen to their bank balance.
Tue 27/03/01 at 19:41
Regular
Hang on... I play Tekken Tag and DOA2 loads, and.... Oh my god!

There is a correlation. That explains why I killed... oops, better not say it here... er.. I mean, killed my social life... hehe.
Tue 27/03/01 at 19:34
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Wax: As a parent myself, I don't think parental instincts are all that affected by press bombardment, most adults today are more able to inform themselves because more information than ever before is availabe to them, so they are better able to form an opinion.

Paul: Spot on.

Iron: I don't think the press will ever take responsibility for anything unless it increases sales/viewing figures.

Ant: Sort your paragraphs out.
Wed 26/04/00 at 18:13
That is exactly what I put in my message "The Influence Of Games". A load of bull.
wax crayon wrote:
If any of you have seen the recent news articles on "surveys" into
gaming and agressive behaviour, maybe you'll feel as dissapointed
as me. It happens time and time again, foney researchers try to
fool the population with their scaremongering results of cheap
experiments.
This time they took two groups of individuals, one who played
violent vidoe games, another who didn't, and found via
'psychological analysis' (which stinks of fudged results) that
those who played violent games were in turn more agressive.
Playing on parental fears and hiding behind scientific terms, they
ignored the simple truth that those with more agressive personas
will naturally tend towards more agressive games as a safe outlet.
As always happens, there is nobody to point this out to the people
watching or reading this, the news companies know they will also
benefit from the sham, holding thir viewing figures, so what
remains is parents blinded by matenal/paternal instinct to the
point that they won't look at the report objectively. And every
time it works, while the only consequences the glorified con men
consider is what's going to happen to their bank balance.
Wed 26/04/00 at 13:31
This debate is never-ending and will constantly be fuelled by ignorant politicians and media icons who are looking to gain standing with the majority by being seen to condemn the latest fad. You only have to look to the late 80's when heavy metal music was used as a scapegoat for a range of violent crimes.

Yes, some people are inclined to be more aggressive than others, but I think the point that needs to be made is that certain computer games plant the idea that violence is fun and therefore acceptable.

It is down to the parents or guardians and even society to some extent to make it clear that violence is wrong and will not be tolerated.

I think that the media should accept responsibilty for this growing culture instead of looking for something else to blame - after all, they started using violence as a form of entertainment with their TV, news, magazines and films.

The bottom line is this - be it games, TV, films etc, violent people will be violent and then look for an excuse. It is up to society not to accept these excuses.
Wed 26/04/00 at 10:53
I studied psychology A-level and I don't entirely agree with Wax Crayon. There is a lot of valid evidence that shows violent games can increase aggression. But the important thing is that it's only short-term. Violent games increase testosterone which makes people aggressive but as soon as the game is over this fades, and so somebody cannot blame a violent crime on an N64 game they played last week.

But if this is true everybody should act violent after they play computer games, but that obviously doesn't happen. The problem is some people have a tendency to be aggressive and something like a violent game gets them worked up and can contribute to it. But that's no reason to ban them altogether because hundreds of other things can have exactly the same effect, whether it's TV or just somebody annoying them.

The problem is people can't accept that some people are just born violent or aggressive and so we have to blame something for it. Because computer games are such a new phenomenon and many people don't understand them properly, it's easy just to blame them for society's problems rather than face the truth.

Violent computer games may temporarily make us slightly more worked up but thousands of things do such as TV, football, queueing. And so computer games cannot be held responsible for aggressive acts, it is the people that committ them, and the sooner society accepts that the better.
Tue 25/04/00 at 15:11
Regular
"Under the Wall"
If any of you have seen the recent news articles on "surveys" into gaming and agressive behaviour, maybe you'll feel as dissapointed as me. It happens time and time again, foney researchers try to fool the population with their scaremongering results of cheap experiments.
This time they took two groups of individuals, one who played violent vidoe games, another who didn't, and found via 'psychological analysis' (which stinks of fudged results) that those who played violent games were in turn more agressive. Playing on parental fears and hiding behind scientific terms, they ignored the simple truth that those with more agressive personas will naturally tend towards more agressive games as a safe outlet. As always happens, there is nobody to point this out to the people watching or reading this, the news companies know they will also benefit from the sham, holding thir viewing figures, so what remains is parents blinded by matenal/paternal instinct to the point that they won't look at the report objectively. And every time it works, while the only consequences the glorified con men consider is what's going to happen to their bank balance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.