GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ghosts of Mars"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/11/04 at 00:50
Regular
What the hell were you thinking, Carpenter???

It's like The Thing meets The Matrix meets Total Recall meets Lord of the Rings.

The main difference being that those films were actually quite good.

Sometimes I wonder if the good films he made were just flukes.

Terrible, terrible garbage.
Sat 13/11/04 at 15:11
Regular
Bejam wrote:
> just waking up to hear Ice Cube deliver some corny final
> line whilst holding a really shiny gun.

Ha, that's exactly what I thought.

I looked at it and went "That's a really shiny gun. I want one"
Fri 12/11/04 at 19:49
Regular
Even in 1980s standards it's poor, especially when you compare it to the excellent 'Escape from New York' also by Carpenter (NOT Escape from LA, that's almost as terrible as Ghosts of Mars).

I just can't see what he was trying to do - it's not scary, it's not a proper sci-fi, it's not really a horror. It's like a poor Mad Max clone based on mars. It started well I must admit, as they drummed up some anticipation. But once you found out what was going on it quickly became crap.

Some of the early fight scenes weren't half bad, but the story on the whole was weak. I'm disappointed that Carpenter would throw out a half assed effort like this. Even on a comedy level it doesn't work, it's clear to me that comedy wasn't his intention, or if it was, he failed.
Wed 10/11/04 at 10:11
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Hedfix wrote:
> I watched it as if it was an 80's movie.
>
> Still not good.
>
> Behind Enemy Lines on 5 was much better and finished just before GoM
> started.

All true. Despite knowing it was meant to be poor, I wanted to see Ghosts of Mars nonetheless, though all the things I'd read about it down the years were true. I guess I just wanted to see how bad it actually was.

What happened to John Carpenter though? I Mean damn, you look at the likes of Escape from New York, Precinct 13, The Thing and The Fog, then look at his recent films. Shame.

Nice to see he completely ripped off his own trademarks with GoM too; the nasty scowling criminal forced to team up with the good guys (as seen with Snake in EfNY and Napoleon Wilson in Precinct 13), the siege idea from Precinct 13, the difficult setting and climate from The Thing and the weird lurking evil from The Fog. Surely a recipe for another classic Carpenter film?

I actually fell asleep during the last half hour or so, so missed the end section, just waking up to hear Ice Cube deliver some corny final line whilst holding a really shiny gun.
Wed 10/11/04 at 00:27
Regular
"8==="
I watched it as if it was an 80's movie.

Still not good.

Behind Enemy Lines on 5 was much better and finished just before GoM started.
Mon 08/11/04 at 17:19
Regular
Obviously they nicked them.
Mon 08/11/04 at 13:17
Regular
"Excommunicated"
They just happened to have face paints and fancy swords scattered all over Mars.
Mon 08/11/04 at 11:37
Regular
"Bow to me!"
It wasnt good at all, not even in a funny or stupid way. Most of his moves are pretty good though.
Mon 08/11/04 at 10:45
Regular
It's excellent, in so bad it's good kind of way.

I enjoyed it even though it was insanely stupid. Carpenter knew this though and so did the cast, apparently if you listen to the documentary on the DVD they're pretty much laughing about it all the way through.

Just heard they're doing a remake of The Fog, gonna be out next year. Carpenter and Debra Hill are producing it I think, don't know who's directing.
Mon 08/11/04 at 08:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Isn't this the one where Ice T/Cube winks at the end?
Mon 08/11/04 at 02:15
Regular
I'd buy that for a dollar

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.