GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Today's the Day"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/11/04 at 22:46
Regular
"not dead"
It was just a matter of time until someone came to the door – whether they’d knock or not, I wasn’t so sure. Not only was Benny nine-toes alive and well, he’d started to make significant gains on the Eastside. My side. I poured what I guessed would be my last drink, a well-aged whiskey, on the rocks, and sat in the chair by the fire. My body warmed – soon it would be cold forever.

Before I touched a drop of the whiskey I heard footsteps on the stairs. I looked to my jacket, knowing that I could get to my gun and take out whoever it was that was sent for me, but it would be pointless, there would only be another, and another, and another. I sat back, and awaited my fate.

There was a rap on the door, gentle at first, then becoming harder. My vision of a couple of goons bursting in, guns blazing, went out of the window, but I resisted the temptation to do the same. Chances were I’d be thrown out soon enough anyway. They didn’t wait for an answer, pushing the door slowly open. It was Lenny, dressed as impeccably as ever, smart suit and skinny black tie, his hair fixed in place, stiff with gel.

“Frankie, how you doing?” he said as he approached.

“Lenny. It’s been a while. What brings you here?” there was nothing like idle chit-chat in your last minutes.

“You know, special occasion,” said Lenny with a smile. I nearly did go for my gun. I couldn’t believe the gall of the man. Sure it would be a special occasion for him if he were to replace me.

"Sit down, take a seat,” I said, restrained.

“No can do. I’ve a better idea. Come, walk with me a little.”

“Anywhere in particular?” I asked as I rose, reaching for my jacket, keeping up the façade of calm. Inside I was falling to pieces.

“Let’s just say I think you need the fresh air,” said Lenny as he looked towards the window.

Outside the air was cool. Our breath making shapes as we walked, like cartoon speech bubbles.

“So I hear things aren’t going so well on the Eastside” said Lenny, his small talk going straight for the jugular.

“Not going so well? Damn, you’re on the pulse aren’t you?” I said, my composure well and truly lost for a second.

“Let’s just say I have my informants. So, what went wrong?” asked Lenny as he ushered me down an alley.

I delayed my answer as I cast my eyes around the alley, looking for the spot I was likely to die on, “he wasn’t on board. The yacht went down without him.”

“Benny nine-toes is one slippery customer,” said Lenny before he came to a stop, holding a hand out to tell me to do the same, “hey, you know why he’s called Benny nine-toes?”

“Cause he’s only got nine toes?” I replied, all fear of looking stupid long gone.

“Yeah, but there’s more to it than that. They say he cut it off to win a bet. How about that? He’s one crazy cat.”

“He sure is,” I said and tried to force a giggle.

“You know we have a lot of interests in the Eastside, and we really missed out by not getting the hit.”

“But…” I started, but Lenny held a hand to my lips. A burst of headlights pierced the darkness of the alley, and a car came to a stop besides us.

“Let’s go for a ride” said Lenny, opening the door for me.
So it was to be the cement boots. No doubt as soon as we took off they’d stick them on me, fill them with the quick drying stuff. Perhaps take the long route to the bridge to make sure I was set before throwing me to a watery death. My blood chilled prematurely as Lenny reached down into his foot-well, but after a few seconds he pulled a mobile phone to his ear and began chatting to an associate. I realised that’s all we had, associates, business acquaintances, each ready and willing to stab you in the back for a chance to try on your shoes.

We passed the bridge in silence. If that wasn’t to be my fate, my next guess was a drive into the country, get me to dig my own grave. I guess that would be fitting – I’d done that very same thing to my predecessor.

The car pulled up outside a warehouse, conveniently located on the Eastside. Lenny hopped out of the car and got my door for me, “out you get, it’s almost time”. I looked him in the eye, and he gave me a wink. How he stayed so cool, I had no idea. When I took out Marco after the fish-market fiasco I could barely hold the gun straight. Here he was giving me a wink and a friendly smile!

We waited for the driver to leave, and Lenny urged me to enter the building. My feet were like lead – it felt as if they really had put concrete boots on me. As we progressed through the darkened building a burst of flame revealed the presence of another. The smell of cigar smoke made it clear that it was the boss.

“Boss, it is an honour to see you again,” I said. There was no way I was going down grovelling.

“You can forget about all that tonight Frankie,” he replied his face partially lit as he took a drag on his cigar.

“But…”

”Look, we got a rat, Benny knew about the yacht, and I’m on it.”

“So, you’re not going to take me out?” I blurted out as hit by a wave of confusion.

The boss laughed long and hard, and each cackle made my heart beat harder. “You’re in such a mess, you don’t even know what day it is?”
Before I had a chance to think the lights were thrown on, blinding me temporarily. A cheer rang through the room, and I was suddenly aware of people all around me, wearing party hats. I spotted the jelly and ice-cream on the table, and the huge banner hanging from a beam.

“Happy birthday, Frankie,” I heard someone say and I felt a friendly slap on the back as I finally realised what day it was.
Sun 07/11/04 at 22:46
Regular
"not dead"
It was just a matter of time until someone came to the door – whether they’d knock or not, I wasn’t so sure. Not only was Benny nine-toes alive and well, he’d started to make significant gains on the Eastside. My side. I poured what I guessed would be my last drink, a well-aged whiskey, on the rocks, and sat in the chair by the fire. My body warmed – soon it would be cold forever.

Before I touched a drop of the whiskey I heard footsteps on the stairs. I looked to my jacket, knowing that I could get to my gun and take out whoever it was that was sent for me, but it would be pointless, there would only be another, and another, and another. I sat back, and awaited my fate.

There was a rap on the door, gentle at first, then becoming harder. My vision of a couple of goons bursting in, guns blazing, went out of the window, but I resisted the temptation to do the same. Chances were I’d be thrown out soon enough anyway. They didn’t wait for an answer, pushing the door slowly open. It was Lenny, dressed as impeccably as ever, smart suit and skinny black tie, his hair fixed in place, stiff with gel.

“Frankie, how you doing?” he said as he approached.

“Lenny. It’s been a while. What brings you here?” there was nothing like idle chit-chat in your last minutes.

“You know, special occasion,” said Lenny with a smile. I nearly did go for my gun. I couldn’t believe the gall of the man. Sure it would be a special occasion for him if he were to replace me.

"Sit down, take a seat,” I said, restrained.

“No can do. I’ve a better idea. Come, walk with me a little.”

“Anywhere in particular?” I asked as I rose, reaching for my jacket, keeping up the façade of calm. Inside I was falling to pieces.

“Let’s just say I think you need the fresh air,” said Lenny as he looked towards the window.

Outside the air was cool. Our breath making shapes as we walked, like cartoon speech bubbles.

“So I hear things aren’t going so well on the Eastside” said Lenny, his small talk going straight for the jugular.

“Not going so well? Damn, you’re on the pulse aren’t you?” I said, my composure well and truly lost for a second.

“Let’s just say I have my informants. So, what went wrong?” asked Lenny as he ushered me down an alley.

I delayed my answer as I cast my eyes around the alley, looking for the spot I was likely to die on, “he wasn’t on board. The yacht went down without him.”

“Benny nine-toes is one slippery customer,” said Lenny before he came to a stop, holding a hand out to tell me to do the same, “hey, you know why he’s called Benny nine-toes?”

“Cause he’s only got nine toes?” I replied, all fear of looking stupid long gone.

“Yeah, but there’s more to it than that. They say he cut it off to win a bet. How about that? He’s one crazy cat.”

“He sure is,” I said and tried to force a giggle.

“You know we have a lot of interests in the Eastside, and we really missed out by not getting the hit.”

“But…” I started, but Lenny held a hand to my lips. A burst of headlights pierced the darkness of the alley, and a car came to a stop besides us.

“Let’s go for a ride” said Lenny, opening the door for me.
So it was to be the cement boots. No doubt as soon as we took off they’d stick them on me, fill them with the quick drying stuff. Perhaps take the long route to the bridge to make sure I was set before throwing me to a watery death. My blood chilled prematurely as Lenny reached down into his foot-well, but after a few seconds he pulled a mobile phone to his ear and began chatting to an associate. I realised that’s all we had, associates, business acquaintances, each ready and willing to stab you in the back for a chance to try on your shoes.

We passed the bridge in silence. If that wasn’t to be my fate, my next guess was a drive into the country, get me to dig my own grave. I guess that would be fitting – I’d done that very same thing to my predecessor.

The car pulled up outside a warehouse, conveniently located on the Eastside. Lenny hopped out of the car and got my door for me, “out you get, it’s almost time”. I looked him in the eye, and he gave me a wink. How he stayed so cool, I had no idea. When I took out Marco after the fish-market fiasco I could barely hold the gun straight. Here he was giving me a wink and a friendly smile!

We waited for the driver to leave, and Lenny urged me to enter the building. My feet were like lead – it felt as if they really had put concrete boots on me. As we progressed through the darkened building a burst of flame revealed the presence of another. The smell of cigar smoke made it clear that it was the boss.

“Boss, it is an honour to see you again,” I said. There was no way I was going down grovelling.

“You can forget about all that tonight Frankie,” he replied his face partially lit as he took a drag on his cigar.

“But…”

”Look, we got a rat, Benny knew about the yacht, and I’m on it.”

“So, you’re not going to take me out?” I blurted out as hit by a wave of confusion.

The boss laughed long and hard, and each cackle made my heart beat harder. “You’re in such a mess, you don’t even know what day it is?”
Before I had a chance to think the lights were thrown on, blinding me temporarily. A cheer rang through the room, and I was suddenly aware of people all around me, wearing party hats. I spotted the jelly and ice-cream on the table, and the huge banner hanging from a beam.

“Happy birthday, Frankie,” I heard someone say and I felt a friendly slap on the back as I finally realised what day it was.
Sun 07/11/04 at 23:21
Regular
"She's a dog!"
I enjoyed that...nice twist.
Mon 08/11/04 at 11:25
Regular
awww...

bless his murderous paranoid soul! :-)
Mon 08/11/04 at 13:42
Regular
"Laughingstock"
A gangster flick story happy ending. Cool.
Wed 10/11/04 at 16:04
Regular
"I'm Great."
I knew it wouldn't end badly but that was a cool ending anyway. Nice to see it step away from the business side of things at the end with the party.
Fri 12/11/04 at 13:55
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Nice twist at the end but jelly and ice cream? Were these little 10 year old gangsters?

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.