GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Updating the BIOS without an FDD?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/11/04 at 23:02
Regular
"Bicycle"
Is this even possible?

My IC7-G mobo is having a widdle trouble figuring out who my CPU is. Now, I know very well it's a Pentium 3.2Ghz, and it does (on POST anyway).

But then it tells me the "CPU is unworkable - check Soft Menu" or something along those lines.

(Not the same topic as before, I promis...)

Anyway, ABIT-USA think I need to update my BIOS. After all, I am using one that has problems reading P4 CPU's. Eheh.

So yeah.

My FDD is screwed. Cannot remember why, and yes, I will be buying a new one at some point - when the cash gets flowing. But for the moment I have a CD-RW and 10 700MB CD-Rs.

Now, considering I just booted and installed Windows XP from a CD, I assume there is a way to do the same to update / flash the BIOS.

Danke.
Sun 07/11/04 at 12:39
Regular
"Freeola Support"
You can normally boot from a floppy cd rom or USB pen with the tools on, most utilities for flashing the BIOS will create a Ramdisk meaning no disc space required for it, but I've only used such utilities for MSI motherboards so I'm not sure if Asus provides images that are bootable or not
Sun 07/11/04 at 12:17
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh, spent a tenner on a disgustingly cream colored OEM Sony from PC World. Ah well, time is money...

(So thereoritically I'm saving money by spending a fiver more a day early... Or not.)
Sun 07/11/04 at 12:13
Regular
Erm.

I have no idea mate to be honest.

The only thing you can do is get another floppy drive, they only cost a fiver, surely you can fork out for that?
Sat 06/11/04 at 23:02
Regular
"Bicycle"
Is this even possible?

My IC7-G mobo is having a widdle trouble figuring out who my CPU is. Now, I know very well it's a Pentium 3.2Ghz, and it does (on POST anyway).

But then it tells me the "CPU is unworkable - check Soft Menu" or something along those lines.

(Not the same topic as before, I promis...)

Anyway, ABIT-USA think I need to update my BIOS. After all, I am using one that has problems reading P4 CPU's. Eheh.

So yeah.

My FDD is screwed. Cannot remember why, and yes, I will be buying a new one at some point - when the cash gets flowing. But for the moment I have a CD-RW and 10 700MB CD-Rs.

Now, considering I just booted and installed Windows XP from a CD, I assume there is a way to do the same to update / flash the BIOS.

Danke.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.