GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pentium 4 core? What's that?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/11/04 at 13:57
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

I'm new to making PCs and the first thing I'm thinking about is the Pentium cores. My mobo is an Intel D875PBZ and I'm not sure which Pentium 4 chips will work with the board. The manuel doesn't seem to mention cores and I was wondering if a Prescott would be fine?

How many cores in the P4 range are there, and is the latest Prescotts simply a label for Intel's best P4s? I'm not really sure what core my mobo supports...

Oh, and for your info I'm looking to get one between the speeds of 3GHz and the highest the board will allow (3.6GHz?).
Sat 06/11/04 at 13:57
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

I'm new to making PCs and the first thing I'm thinking about is the Pentium cores. My mobo is an Intel D875PBZ and I'm not sure which Pentium 4 chips will work with the board. The manuel doesn't seem to mention cores and I was wondering if a Prescott would be fine?

How many cores in the P4 range are there, and is the latest Prescotts simply a label for Intel's best P4s? I'm not really sure what core my mobo supports...

Oh, and for your info I'm looking to get one between the speeds of 3GHz and the highest the board will allow (3.6GHz?).
Sat 06/11/04 at 14:14
"I love yo... lamp."
Do a google search. I don't know myself, but quite a few boards had issues with the amount of power the Prescott cores used. To be honest, if you can find a 3.4 GHz Northwood, go for it. Northwoods are faster clock for clock than Prescotts, run much cooler, draw less power, don't have compatibility issues with boards. All round better processors. 3.2 GHz Northwoods are fairly easy to get, the 3.4 GHz was a bit rarer.
Sat 06/11/04 at 14:15
"I love yo... lamp."
Oh and for the Pentium 4 there was another core, the Williamette, but you won't find it around these days. It was older and considerably slower. It was also socket 423, not 478, if memory serves me correctly. So it wouldn't fit anyway.
Sat 06/11/04 at 19:22
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
>if you can find a 3.4 GHz Northwood, go for it. Northwoods
> are faster clock for clock than Prescotts, run much cooler, draw less
> power, don't have compatibility issues with boards. All round better
> processors. 3.2 GHz Northwoods are fairly easy to get, the 3.4 GHz
> was a bit rarer.

Northwood it is then. I think I've found a place that sells the 3.4 model, but it's OEM. Do you know EXACTLY what comes with the retail version so I could buy things separate? I know an Intel heatsink normally comes with them but does anything else? Maybe a manual or extra wires?
Sun 07/11/04 at 00:20
Regular
Don't buy the 3.4GHZ Prescott, what massive mistake that was. Thankfully someone bought it on eBay for £60 less than what I paid so I didn't lose a hell of a lot as it turned out.

The core runs at 103 which is nearly 40-50 more than the Northwood, Intel then compensate the heat by lowering the clock speed load when it gets too hot.

A serious mistake. I will always stick to AMD from now on, far better from my experience.
Sun 07/11/04 at 00:43
Regular
"Bicycle"
What's the actual difference between AMD's and Intel's? Last I heard, Intel were king of the roost.
Sun 07/11/04 at 12:10
Regular
Architecture.

Intel chips and AMD chips have different aspects from each other.

If you do Computing up until A2 level, you'll get teached the basic differences, and about the inside of the CPU itself.
Sun 07/11/04 at 12:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
Argh. See, this is why I should have taken IT GCSE...

But I can still take ITC A-Level without ITC-GCSE, right?
Mon 08/11/04 at 07:15
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Yes you can, but IT GCSE is crap, i tok it and its all databases, boring
Mon 08/11/04 at 07:27
Regular
"Bicycle"
Good.

I took music instead.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.