GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More good news for NTL customers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/11/04 at 14:33
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
From "The Register"

------------------------------------------
NTL looks set to take a big lead in the UK's broadband sector by ramping up speeds next year for residential broadband customers while freezing prices. The move will leave a yawning gap between NTL's offering and BT-based ADSL services.

NTL's entry level 300k service will be supercharged to 1Mb while still costing £17.99 a month. Its new 2Mb service will cost £24.99 while 3Mb will cost £37.99.

The speed increases will be rolled out to new customers during the first three months of next year, although existing customers must cough up a £25 "administration fee" to make the switch.

Industry insiders reckon BT will have to follow suit or risk losing out, following this latest shake-up to hit the sector.
------------------------------------------

Yay! r0><0r!!1 For the sake of £25 admin, I'll have 3Mb... woosh...

Bad news... NTL will start enforcing their 30GB/Month Cap as of this update, but thena GB/day is nothing to moan at compared to some ISP's.
Fri 05/11/04 at 23:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
cookie monster wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> 2Mb is about to trial from BT as a proper home
> service(not what Plusnet do at the moment)
>
> Oh? What's the difference?

Think Plusnet are using the business line at the moment as there was no other way for them to offer 2Mb as it wasnt an official home product, so thats why Plusnet were one of the only ISPs to do 2Mb. I think that Plusnet are on 20:1 connection for 2Mb, so will be switching over to 50:1 the home service once BT have released the trial.
Fri 05/11/04 at 16:28
Regular
Jesus christ.

Thats the best thing I've seen all day.

They'll say 30GB a month, but I bet if you stretched it to 35~ they won't cut you off.

They'll be more then likely looking for the bandwidth hogs who start showing signs of daily-heavy downloading and uploading.
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:15
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> NTL doesnt cap there downloads?
>
> Colin

They actually have a theoretical 1GB/day cap, but don't enforce it much. As of the new Upgrades, NTL will be heavily enforcing the 30GB/month cap.
Fri 05/11/04 at 13:00
Regular
NTL doesnt cap there downloads?

Colin
Fri 05/11/04 at 11:20
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Good news, although I'd rather pay extra for a lower-download-speed connection with no cap and a better upload speed.
Fri 05/11/04 at 11:02
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
adrian wrote:
> 2Mb is about to trial from BT as a proper home
> service(not what Plusnet do at the moment)

Oh? What's the difference?
Thu 04/11/04 at 23:55
Regular
"Touched!"
I'll have the 2mb line for £25 :D
Thu 04/11/04 at 23:11
Regular
1Mb for £17.99?! cool, think i'll downgrade to that from my current 750K!
Thu 04/11/04 at 22:59
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Looks pretty good. I've just signed to BT, and I hope they follow NTLs
> example.

Nah only cable companies are doing it. Telewest upped all there connections months ago.

BT(ADSL) is determined on line quality and distance. 512K is easy to get where as 1Mb was only for good line quality and people 3.5Km from the exchange. BT have upped 1Mb allowing people who couldnt get it before to have it now. 2Mb is about to trial from BT as a proper home service(not what Plusnet do at the moment) and they will use the old 1Mb restrictions, so if you couldnt get 1Mb before BT introduced the new rules a month or two ago, you wont get 2Mb.

I agree about whats been said, we as a country are a 1st world country, yet we are so far behind places like Sweden, Japan and even Korea. Places in Sweden get nice VDSL basically 26Mb both upload and download. 100Mb is not uncommon in either of the countries i've mentioned.

BT and the cable companies need to start rolling out faster connections and getting the infrastructure in place to allow 100Mb connections to be as standard as a 56K dial up connection.

Cable is a bit better in terms of speed as theres a bit of competition between Telewest and NTL, where as BT have no competition, only the use of LLU in big cities. Sweden has companies fighting over who has the best deal and who has the fastest connections, which helps move things forward.

Its taken over a year for BT to go from trialling 1Mb to doing 2Mb, things should be moving faster. 8Mb is already built into our ADSL modems so BT should be getting closer to these figures and seeing what the limitations are for these rather than going up in small steps.
Thu 04/11/04 at 22:52
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
No, only if you want to upgrade, which i think sounds worth it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.