GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Delete everything and reinstall from scratch - how?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/11/04 at 00:04
Regular
Just rescued an old PC from the attic. It had lots of spyware on at one time, then must have been infected with a virus, it can boot up and start then is frozen with an illegal operation or something mmtask or missing rundll I dunno. Tried to reinstall windows these missing files or corrupted files stopped me at the end of setup.

Just tried looking for a website to wipe everything and install fresh, cant seem to find one. I tried it before on another computer but I can't remember how to do it. Does anyone know or could direct me to the information I need. Thank you
Sun 07/11/04 at 13:07
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
I've sorted it now, thanks anyway.
Sun 07/11/04 at 12:59
Regular
"Freeola Support"
hmm try using [URL]http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/[/URL] to check the health of your hard drive, if this passes check the ram.
Sat 06/11/04 at 19:57
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
I need help with this too!
I tried to reformat my hard drive but it wouldn't let me, it said something else was trying to access the drive.

So I decided to re-install windows 2000 Pro, it went ok and I fixed the problem of constant 100% cpu usage but now barely anything works.

The cd drives don't have the same names as before and one of them doesn't even work. I tried the driver disc (floppy) but it says an error occurs while running the program.
Then i looked at the installed hardware and it said both drives were installed.

How can I completely reformat and will I be able to install everything after?
Fri 05/11/04 at 12:27
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Computers rock.
Fri 05/11/04 at 02:08
"I love yo... lamp."
cookie monster wrote:
> Damarus wrote:
> (Which usually allows cd boot).
>
> Erm, i dont think it does. AFAIK WinXP was the first microsoft OS to
> allow you to boot from the cd.

ME could do it properly, although even it wasn't the first. Took 26 minutes to install it on my old PC.
Thu 04/11/04 at 18:27
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Afternoon wrote:
> Yup Windows 98 First edition booted from the CD if your DVD drive and
> motherboard supported it

As did SE (which I still use occasionally for the utilities...).
Wed 03/11/04 at 19:51
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Yup Windows 98 First edition booted from the CD if your DVD drive and motherboard supported it
Wed 03/11/04 at 18:54
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Nope, windows 98 had a vey basic startup ability on disk, and allowed you to use stuff like fdisk from the cd.
Tue 02/11/04 at 21:18
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Damarus wrote:
> (Which usually allows cd boot).
>
> Erm, i dont think it does. AFAIK WinXP was the first microsoft OS to
> allow you to boot from the cd.

Well my version does.
Tue 02/11/04 at 21:01
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh, I have a large PAIR of rooms. Mwahahaha.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.