GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Censorship"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/04/00 at 00:24
Regular
Game censorship by ELSPA or the BBFC has been around for ages, but a lot of people argue that it should be abolished. Doom was one of the first games that I played, and yes, I really enjoyed it, but at no point did it twist my mind in to believing that this kind of behaviour is acceptable in real life. Kingpin is a more recent example of the tabloid outcry at violent games, but it's pretty simple to my mind - If you don't like it, don't play it. Maybe more games like Soldier Of Fortune and Half-Life should be released - choose what (if any) violence options you want.
A game shouldn't rely on violence for sales, but it can help to add realism or make a dull game more interesting. A good game will have a solid foundation of gameplay and then the violence built on that.
What content is included in a game, or even whether or not the game should be released should not be decided by a single group of people. Gamers should be allowed the right to choose what they want, and by all means, offer a suggestion (For example, the original heretic had a 3/4 gore rating), but don't force it in to a certain bracket. To play a game and then go out and mimic the actions in real life, you need to be a disturbed person in the first place. As is now well quoted, "Playing games doesn't make you a killer, but killers do play games". Don't penalise the rest of us due to the actions of a few individuals. I understand that the family of victims need someone to blame when the odd person does commit a serious offence, but a couple of decades ago, the film industry was being berated with the same accusations. Hopefully this will pass on to some other media soon so that we gamers can have a break. I'd be interested to here what other people think on this subject.
Sat 29/04/00 at 00:24
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Game censorship by ELSPA or the BBFC has been around for ages, but a lot of people argue that it should be abolished. Doom was one of the first games that I played, and yes, I really enjoyed it, but at no point did it twist my mind in to believing that this kind of behaviour is acceptable in real life. Kingpin is a more recent example of the tabloid outcry at violent games, but it's pretty simple to my mind - If you don't like it, don't play it. Maybe more games like Soldier Of Fortune and Half-Life should be released - choose what (if any) violence options you want.
A game shouldn't rely on violence for sales, but it can help to add realism or make a dull game more interesting. A good game will have a solid foundation of gameplay and then the violence built on that.
What content is included in a game, or even whether or not the game should be released should not be decided by a single group of people. Gamers should be allowed the right to choose what they want, and by all means, offer a suggestion (For example, the original heretic had a 3/4 gore rating), but don't force it in to a certain bracket. To play a game and then go out and mimic the actions in real life, you need to be a disturbed person in the first place. As is now well quoted, "Playing games doesn't make you a killer, but killers do play games". Don't penalise the rest of us due to the actions of a few individuals. I understand that the family of victims need someone to blame when the odd person does commit a serious offence, but a couple of decades ago, the film industry was being berated with the same accusations. Hopefully this will pass on to some other media soon so that we gamers can have a break. I'd be interested to here what other people think on this subject.
Tue 23/05/00 at 18:28
Listen up people those stiffs at the BBFC have ruined our fun for a long time now and I think that we the gaming community should do something about it. We can't let some university graduate who probably doesn't have a social life control what we play. We have the right to enjoy what we want to enjoy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.