GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSUs - Final Word?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/11/04 at 00:30
Regular
"Bicycle"
Right. Well after reading more than enough about Power Supply Units (PSUs), I decided to go against my original decision to 'cut the corners' and go with a budget (£22) PSU.

And I looked at more than a few reviews, too. And I think I've found the PSU that will satisfy any of your (no, not those) needs.

Firstly, I've upped my budget by a rather large £40 margin. Yet as it's one of the most important components to having a stable, custom PC, it's worth every pound. It's not flashy, it doesn't look like an exploding star, but it has everything. And it should last through every build for the next few years. It's the Tagan TG480-U01. It's reasonably cheap. From Scan.co.uk, it's a bargain (they call it a 480W Tagan Whisper quiet 21db Also support 12v EPS/SATA/XEON 3 Years Warranty ATX/BTX) at £65, withought P&P. I know I'm buying one.

Woo.

I'm so happy.
Fri 05/11/04 at 01:21
"I love yo... lamp."
I know the feeling, having at one time run this Barton at over 250 FSB as well :-D

AMD are really flying at the moment. If I get a raise in the next year I'm going to splash out on a 90 nm Winchester core Socket 939 setup. A whole bunch of them are doing 2.6 GHz on air.

The 4 GHz P4 would have been rather underwhelming, just like the Prescott in general. The problem is, a 31 stage pipeline is just waaay too long. 20 stage is a bit on the long side I think. An entire architecture revision is needed, and dual core won't really solve that. In fact, PowerPC is the way to go, X86 is just poor all round.
Thu 04/11/04 at 18:52
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
cookie monster wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Why would he bother with an inferior board?! If you're going to mess
> about with an inferior platform at least get one of the best boards
> for it!
>
> Ahahaha!

Oi!

Two of you ey...
Thu 04/11/04 at 18:51
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Ok this time only Biggles I hand it to you, AMD is kicking butt, I couldn't believe the benchmarks thrown up by Alastair's number cruncher, and learnt that the gits have gone a step further with the FX-55... damn damn damn.

*Sigh* Ah well - at the time I built my rig Intel was the clockspeed king... although my overclocked high bandwidth loveliness still packs a bit of an Intel punch :P and theres no disputing the bandwidth offered by a machine with RAM in sync at +250 FSB.

The day Intel cancelled the 4GHz P4 was a sad day :-( that would have shown off the Prescott...

Intel will be back in time for the Fx-57
Thu 04/11/04 at 00:17
Regular
"Bicycle"
Ugh. What difference does an AMD or Intel chip make?

Ugh.

BTW - Yar, I have an ABIT IC7-G board now. Yaay.
Wed 03/11/04 at 20:45
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Ive got a asus for my athlon xp (dam my income, i want 64!), its ok, nothing special, but then again i only paid £30 for it so i wasnt expecting much
Wed 03/11/04 at 20:41
"I love yo... lamp."
No no no no no. Me and tig have an ongoing AMD versus Intel debate. He has a P4 and an Asus board. Whilst I greatly prefer AMD, I was just saying that if I was going to have an Intel chip, I would have the Abit board, not the Asus he was recommending. In fairness though, the Asus boards are pretty good. Just after the tour de force that was the NF7-S, I love Abit as much as anyone can love a Taiwanese electronics corporation.
Wed 03/11/04 at 19:00
Regular
"Bicycle"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> for it!

You saying mines no good?

Or what? I'm confuzed.

Btw - typo. Abit IC-7, obviously.
Wed 03/11/04 at 18:55
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> for it!

Ahahaha!
Wed 03/11/04 at 18:30
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Coin wrote:
> (Therefor I claim minor bragging rights...)
Well it stopped me from buying a fanless PSU, I can't say I would be happy if one I brought blew up on me in such a fashion.
Tue 02/11/04 at 23:21
"I love yo... lamp."
Why would he bother with an inferior board?! If you're going to mess about with an inferior platform at least get one of the best boards for it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.