GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Processes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/10/04 at 12:38
Regular
How many processes do you have running in the background?

I've been tweaking around with mine and have managed to narrow it down to 23 running processes as standard (This includes zone alarm).

It's an extreme improvement from 40+ processes and now my computer seems to run more smoothly. Not very noticable on games but in general things run better.
Sun 31/10/04 at 13:35
Regular
"Freeola Support"
25 Processes
Fri 29/10/04 at 16:22
Regular
"\\"
57... I could cut it down, but I'm lazy, so I wont'.
Fri 29/10/04 at 13:22
Regular
Oh, and thanks by the way. I've just gone through the list and disabled lots of crap. I shall see the results when I restart (Just as soon as Armies of Exigo Multi-Player Demo finishes).
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:59
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> If you are on XP click [URL]http://www.blackviper.com[/URL]

:P
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:57
73 comes from the portability aspect by the way. I could probablycut that down when I get home, but there's no point really as it's used everywhere.
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:56
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
34, and thats without any tweaking at all
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:53
Regular
The proper way to do it is through services.msc.

If you are on XP click [URL]www.blackviper.com[/URL] and follow the services guide before and after service pack 2. I think I am down to around 14 maybe 15.
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:45
Regular
Thanks. I'll try it when I get back home :-)
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:45
I have 73 at the mo. They're all important; there are various guides on the web that allow you to cut down on the non essential services however. Off the top of my head, Computer Browser, Indexing and Secondary Logon is of no use.

Go to Admin Tools > Computer Services and highlight them for more information; if it doesn't sound like you need it, disable it and find out. For example, Wireless Zero Config isn't needed if you don't have wireless, or don't intend to use it.
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:43
Regular
[URL]http://www.processlibrary.com/[/URL]

It's what I used. Very handy. Just type in the name of the process and it'll tell you whether or not it's important and what it does.

Then use google to find out how to remove that process. You can also remove a few by running msconfig.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.