GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Got a new PC - Need some new Stuff..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/10/04 at 12:11
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yes, that's right. Christmas came early for us this year (literally!) and we know have a whole new PC to play around with. Wireless mouse and keyboard; flat-screen monitor; everything's so much smoother than it was ever on that TiNY crap... Beautiful. :)

Yet, I still need a few things to make it all the better.

For one, while it comes with a CD-RW drive, for some strange reason, this is one that CANNOT even read DVDs!(?)
So, I'm after a new CD-RW Drive that also plays DVDs.

After browsing through SRs catalogue yesterday, I noticed DVD-RWs are an awful lot cheaper than they used to be - so, for all the extra benefits (and money-making oppurtunities! ;D ), I figured I may as well just go for one of them - AT THOSE PRICES.
(No, I don't work for them! :P )

So, which DVD-RW Drive could you reccomend I take a closer look at?

---

On the software side of things, I'm looking to download a FREE program that allows you to covert files into MP3s. On the old PC, I was using this Microsoft MusicMatch Jukebox thing, which I got, like, three-years ago... However, that was one of the things I forgot to save onto my CD-RW, before the PC was wiped.

Is it still worth me downloading that one again, or are there some even better ones I can get my hands on? - once again, they must be FOR FREE.

I'll probably think up some other things I'd like advice on after I've posted this, but I'd be grateful for any help on what I've mentioned just now.

Oh. And before I forget, how do you get around the problem of using headphones on your PC when the sound comes out through the monitor?
Connecting 'old' speakers into the PC itself and then diverting the output to there, or something?

There's a heaphone/micrphone jack-thing on the front of my PC now - yet, that doesn't seem to work (and the bloke who installed it all legged it with the boxes and manuals - GIT! :P )
Thu 04/11/04 at 11:56
Regular
"serenity now!"
Solskjær wrote:
> stance_may_vary wrote:
> "If you're looking at DVD writers consider a dual layer
> burner. The discs aren't readily available at teh moment but they
> will be soon and you'll kick yourself later on if you go single
> layer.
"
> -----
>
> Sorry, what's the difference between the 2?
>
> What does dual-layer mean, exactly?

Basically just increases the amount of data you can fit on a disc. Single layer DVDs can hold 4.3 GB, whereas dual layer hold 8.5 GB.
Wed 03/11/04 at 19:09
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
If you had asked me a week earlier, I would have given you a DVD-RW drive.
Wed 03/11/04 at 18:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Actually, a CD-RW that can't read dvd's is really bad, they all do
> it.
>
> Apart, obviously, from the vast majority of CD-RW drives that aren't
> combo drives. Every CD-RW drive I have ever had was just that - not a
> CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

Really? Every CD-RW drive ive had has been a combo drive.
Wed 03/11/04 at 12:46
"I love yo... lamp."
cookie monster wrote:
> Actually, a CD-RW that can't read dvd's is really bad, they all do
> it.

Apart, obviously, from the vast majority of CD-RW drives that aren't combo drives. Every CD-RW drive I have ever had was just that - not a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.
Wed 03/11/04 at 12:15
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Azul Five-O wrote:
"You over punctuate every single bloody thing you post."
-----

And, you...

YOU!

You keep getting banned, yet, you keep coming back again!

:P

(Watch out, or I'll set kid Icarus on you!)
Wed 03/11/04 at 12:14
Regular
"Long time no see!"
stance_may_vary wrote:
"If you're looking at DVD writers consider a dual layer burner. The discs aren't readily available at teh moment but they will be soon and you'll kick yourself later on if you go single layer."
-----

Sorry, what's the difference between the 2?

What does dual-layer mean, exactly?
Sat 30/10/04 at 02:08
He needs to express himself somehow, leave him alone.
Sat 30/10/04 at 00:02
Regular
Azul Five-O wrote:
> You over punctuate every single bloody thing you post.

I know. The punctuation must take longer than typing the post.
Fri 29/10/04 at 23:58
Regular
You over punctuate every single bloody thing you post.
Fri 29/10/04 at 23:33
Regular
"That's right!"
Oh well, I'm still stuck in the past. I had a 2 speed (count 'em, two!) CD burner for YEARS. I never thought to upgrade it.

Now I've got a DVD burner which urinates over everything my CD-RW did.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.