GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problem? What left-sided problem!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/10/04 at 11:04
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Stuart Downing of Middlesbrough.

Johnnie Jackson of (dare I say it...) Tottenham Hotspur.

Lee Hendrie's staking a great claim for a long-overdue second cap.

Gareth Barry's still around, you know...
As is Alan Thompson (even though he might be injured now).
Wayne Bridge and Ashley Cole have worked brilliantly together in recent games.

Have we ever had it any better?

---

If you want to talk about problems in the England team (ignoring the obvious ones *COUGH* Beckham *COUGH, COUGH*), you only have to look at our goal-scoring options.

Defensively - especially at centre-back - we are truly spoilt for choice. Any England manager would also suffer a pre-match managerial migraine when it comes to choosing four from an exciting ~fast-growing~ herd of midfield talent.

I've said it many times before, but we do seriously need to consider the ideal replacement for Alan Shearer. And, until he got left-behind on the schoolboy's field-trip to a Yorkshire pudding factory (...), Robbie Fowler was the only man ready and raring to do it.

Michael Owen's fine for scoring goals, but who's gonna lead the line?
Certainly not Wayne Rooney. As exceptional a young talent he is proving to be, he isn't that type of player (despite his size). Plus, we still have not found his best position yet - he could even be the man to replace Paul Scholes on the tip of that failure of a diamond-shaped attack...
I don't rate Jermain Defoe anywhere near as highly as anyone else - you should know that by now. He's too full of himself. Too young and vulnerable. Living in a world where he can do no wrong - where only he can save-the-day... I just don't take to his general form of play.

I'd previously pin-pointed Alan Smith as the man to bare the sacred `No.9´ shirt. And, following his heavenly move to Old Trafford, initially, I only saw my hopes and dreams coming true. But, in the England games he has played since his 'giant-step-up', he hasn't really looked half the threat he's been for United so far this season. So, now, I have my doubts.

Alan Shearer. Robbie Fowler. Les Ferdinand. Ian Wright. Teddy Sheringham.

Michael Owen. Wayne Rooney. Jermain Defoe. Alan Smith. Darius Vassell...

Where and why did it all suddenly go wrong?
Sat 30/10/04 at 10:19
Regular
I think Rooney and Owen are a great partnership up there. Rooney's forever knocking them in and Owen is a very talented individual.
Sat 30/10/04 at 01:48
Regular
"Great Scott's"
Solskjær wrote:
> Alan Shearer. Robbie Fowler. Les Ferdinand. Ian Wright. Teddy
> Sheringham.
>
> Michael Owen. Wayne Rooney. Jermain Defoe. Alan Smith. Darius
> Vassell...
>
> Where and why did it all suddenly go wrong?

I take you class the top line as a great strikers for england, Sorry to burst your ball, why is robbie fowler up there, you might as well of put ex Arsenal Striker Alan Smith in his place (lol).

Fowler despite all his goalscoring form before his injures never did anything for england, he was a fine striker in the premiership before his injures by never proved it on the international stage.

I can imagine the replies to this message now, he got injured before he could prove how good he was. No he would of turned out to be like Andy Cole someone who could not hit a barn door on the international stage.

I cannot disagree with the rest of the strikers on that top line but putting fowler in that list did make me laugh.
Fri 29/10/04 at 19:23
Regular
"Baros!!!"
If Ashley Cole or Bridge did get injured then there's only one man for the job... J'Lloyd Samuel.

He's a quality player and loves getting forward like Ashley Cole. Also think he's just as good as Cole when tackling, if not better.

Gareth Barry doesn't seem to be playing as good as he normally does and don't think he deserves a chance after poor performances. Also someone mentioned Whittingham who is young, but he'll be one for the future.

Hendrie is on fire at the moment scoring 3 goals in 5 games.

If you need a left sided player, just go to Villa as we are full of them. It's a pity Hitzlesperger wasn't English. =D
Fri 29/10/04 at 16:20
Regular
You just noticed Downing eh? Don't you remember he scored against you lot? :p
Fri 29/10/04 at 15:07
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Johnie Jackson!? England!? Ever!?

Please tell me you're kidding.
Fri 29/10/04 at 13:37
Regular
downing anmd bridge are our only hopes on the left, and we have to see how well they work out for england, apart from that its pretty dire. we are still pretty screwed. we have no giggs, DUFF, robben or Nedved and so are midfield always has a weak link untill that trouble position is genuinely sorted with a player of the same quality as the rest of the midfield. hopefully one of the afore mentioned 2 will work out
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:00
Regular
"Long time no see!"
As always, a time will come when we must rely on your firepower of our strikers only for the good of our goals.

:I
Fri 29/10/04 at 11:54
Regular
I can't see it really, i think you're making a problem out of nothing. For starters we were top scorers (well up there anyway, cant be bothered to check) with 9 goals in Euro 2004, and when was the last time we *HAVENT* scored in a competitive match? Vs Nigeria in 2002 (??).

Says it all.
Fri 29/10/04 at 11:36
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Ah. James Beattie is another striker I missed out - "what happened to him?"

He's always looked sharp, very lively and very capable for Southampton, but, when it's come to his handful of England games, he's barely had a serious sniff of goal - and, unless I'm mistaken, he is still yet to score his first international goal, right?
Fri 29/10/04 at 11:17
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Downing certainly has potential to play on the left for England and we all know Sven doesn't have any qualms about trying out youngsters therefore I expect him to be given a chance. Having said that Peter Wittingham at Villa aint bad either.

Defoe does have talent but he can blow hot and cold. However with he and Rooney being fairly young, I think they can build good a understanding with one another when playing for England. Although we know how much Owen is 'loved' by Sven and with him only beng 24 and vice captain, it rules out the majority of chances for the other strikers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.