GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Plaque forming units per ml"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/10/04 at 16:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im hoping Ros is around to help me here, i done a dilution series on an e.coli broth that was infected with some phage, ive plated them out and counted the plaques but im getting confused about how to calculate plaques per ml.
Wed 27/10/04 at 16:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im hoping Ros is around to help me here, i done a dilution series on an e.coli broth that was infected with some phage, ive plated them out and counted the plaques but im getting confused about how to calculate plaques per ml.
Wed 27/10/04 at 16:08
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Phew... thought you were going to say you ate it.
Wed 27/10/04 at 16:13
Regular
Damn... thought you were going to say you ate it.
Wed 27/10/04 at 16:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
This isnt helping me people.
Wed 27/10/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
*waves*

how may I help
Wed 27/10/04 at 16:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Rosalind wrote:
> *waves*
>
> how may I help

Great, thanks, lets see if you can.

Ok, lets say i made a dilution series that ranged from 10 to the power 0 (i.e undiluted) to 10 to the power -8 of this e.coli broth. I plated these dilutions at varying times (every 10 mins for 70 mins) and left plaques to form on the bacterial lawn.

I went to count the plaques and say i found 70 plaques formed on the plate which was the 10 to the power -4 dilution, how would i calculate this as plaques per ml?

Im thinking its 70 divided by the dilution factor (0.001) to get the number of plaques in 0.750ml (this is the volume of e.coli broth we actually used for the dilutions after spinning a 1ml in the centrifuge) i then have to adjust the number i get to make it up to the 1ml.

I hope that makes sense, or im screwed. :D
Thu 28/10/04 at 12:15
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
first of all you need to know how much you plated out i.e did you plate out 100ul then you would have to x10 to get to 1ml.

so your 70 plaques would become 700/ml

then x0.75 to negate your concentration of 1ml to 0.75ml

then muliply by 1x10 to the 4 (or divide by dilution factor) = 5.25x10 to the 6

not many phage!!!! :p

hope this helps

Edit:
If you want to get in touch with me again my msn/e-mail is [email protected]
Sun 07/11/04 at 18:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
OMG.

You are a young man with biological weaponry.

CALL THE PAPERS! LET THEM SAVE US!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.