GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CMS/Blogging System - Help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/10/04 at 15:38
Regular
Sigh.

I never realised anything could be as so complicated as this.

At the moment, I'm re-developing my site offline using my webserver to test it on. I was considering making my own CMS for it, but then realised that it'd be quicker and better to use one of the "excellent" ones already available.

Unfortuanatly I've had nothing but trouble ever since attempting to install one of these.

CMS 1: MovableType

Meant to be excellent, Except it cannot be run locally apparently. I don't want to waste time uploading it to my site just so I can test it either.

To add another thing into the mix, my host Staghosting do not support one of the modules that is needed to run MovableType's DB support either

CMS 2: pMachine

Staghosting reccomended using a PHP based CMS system, and this one seemed pretty decent, and it looked like it could run off localhost with a few config file tweaks.

I followed the manual and when to the "install.php" phase, it loaded perfectly, but when moving to "page 2", it just doesn't do anything. No error message returned (I even turned the debugging feature 'on' in the config thing) the page just returns blank.

Upon research, page 2 is concerned with MySQL and Databases, I figured there was something wrong with My SQL installation, so I re-installed it and got it up and running (It works perfectly because my website connects to it on a regular basis!)

Even after a re-install, the same thing happens, the page just returns 'blank' as if nothing has happened.

The question here is, has anyone got any ideas on what I can do to get a decent CMS up and running on my webserver so I can test it before uploading it.

Any reccomendations for any others?
Wed 27/10/04 at 15:38
Regular
Sigh.

I never realised anything could be as so complicated as this.

At the moment, I'm re-developing my site offline using my webserver to test it on. I was considering making my own CMS for it, but then realised that it'd be quicker and better to use one of the "excellent" ones already available.

Unfortuanatly I've had nothing but trouble ever since attempting to install one of these.

CMS 1: MovableType

Meant to be excellent, Except it cannot be run locally apparently. I don't want to waste time uploading it to my site just so I can test it either.

To add another thing into the mix, my host Staghosting do not support one of the modules that is needed to run MovableType's DB support either

CMS 2: pMachine

Staghosting reccomended using a PHP based CMS system, and this one seemed pretty decent, and it looked like it could run off localhost with a few config file tweaks.

I followed the manual and when to the "install.php" phase, it loaded perfectly, but when moving to "page 2", it just doesn't do anything. No error message returned (I even turned the debugging feature 'on' in the config thing) the page just returns blank.

Upon research, page 2 is concerned with MySQL and Databases, I figured there was something wrong with My SQL installation, so I re-installed it and got it up and running (It works perfectly because my website connects to it on a regular basis!)

Even after a re-install, the same thing happens, the page just returns 'blank' as if nothing has happened.

The question here is, has anyone got any ideas on what I can do to get a decent CMS up and running on my webserver so I can test it before uploading it.

Any reccomendations for any others?
Wed 27/10/04 at 18:31
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Have you visited http://www.opensourcecms.com/ ?
You can try many of the CMS it lists on the site itself without having to bother to download/install.
Wed 27/10/04 at 18:39
"Are you sure?"
FWIW -
I notice Staghosting haven't setup their servers to stop people browsing directories. I didn't know whether to post this or not as I quite often see some interesting things - :0

Hope this helps...
Wed 27/10/04 at 20:40
Regular
Had a look at that opencms site (pretty good cheers)

Managed to download WordPress.

Step 1 and 2 of the installation went perfectly, step 3 however screws up completely, I get the same 'blank page' syndrome.

I'm starting to hate these damn things now...
Wed 27/10/04 at 21:27
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Managed to download WordPress.
>
> Step 1 and 2 of the installation went perfectly, step 3 however
> screws up completely, I get the same 'blank page' syndrome.
>
> I'm starting to hate these damn things now...

Strange, what version MySQL do you have installed? Also have you installed it manually or was it part of a package such as XAMPP.

I've taken a look at step 3 of the WordPress install, its just a series of table alterations/update it does so unless theres some more elaborate reason for failure, seems to be database related.
Wed 27/10/04 at 22:13
Regular
Ah managed to get it sorted!

I'm nearly there to getting my blog up and running, there's just one thing....

I want to make it so the wordpress files are in one folder (called 'wordpress') and the rest are in my webservers root folder.

This works fine, in a way, when you try to click links (like 'add comment' or something) it just opens the 'directory' folder for you to browse all the files that are in the /wordpress folder.

Is there anyway to remedy this? The reason I am putting it in a folder is because I kind of want the main website to be separated from the blog!
Wed 27/10/04 at 22:42
Regular
And to make things worse it keeps on wanting to re-direct to index.php.

I want it to be blog.php damnit!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.