GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War of the Windows."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/10/04 at 22:48
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I have a relatively old (2000?) computer which has an ME operating system. I HATE having to use ME, due to it's amazingly poor memory handling abilities. It has crashed many times before due to a lack of systems resources ( I have the meter up at all times to make sure it doesn't crash). It also doesn't have the ability to run iTunes, which is useless me being an iPod owner. So I considered upgrading to XP.

I thought this would be a be all and end all solution, but an annoying little bird in my ear(perhaps cos they're right and that defeats me, or perhaps cos they're wrong and obstructing me) says that it's very hasslesome.

This is because I would need a whole new set of drivers.

So, to come down to the point:

Which is better; ME or XP?

Is it possible for me to convert to XP with relative ease and few expenses?
Tue 26/10/04 at 22:48
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I have a relatively old (2000?) computer which has an ME operating system. I HATE having to use ME, due to it's amazingly poor memory handling abilities. It has crashed many times before due to a lack of systems resources ( I have the meter up at all times to make sure it doesn't crash). It also doesn't have the ability to run iTunes, which is useless me being an iPod owner. So I considered upgrading to XP.

I thought this would be a be all and end all solution, but an annoying little bird in my ear(perhaps cos they're right and that defeats me, or perhaps cos they're wrong and obstructing me) says that it's very hasslesome.

This is because I would need a whole new set of drivers.

So, to come down to the point:

Which is better; ME or XP?

Is it possible for me to convert to XP with relative ease and few expenses?
Tue 26/10/04 at 23:24
Regular
"Bicycle"
Buy XP Home, back-up all your important data, reformat the drive (NTFS), install XP in the partition, and voila.

XP > ME.
Tue 26/10/04 at 23:35
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I completely get you....

*shoots self*

:D

Coin wrote:
> Buy XP Home,

Yes.

> back-up all your important data,

Good so far.

> reformat the drive (NTFS),

Gfah?

> install XP in the partition,

Que?

> and voila.

French?

:)

Perhaps a little more help explaining.

* No I'm not a n00b I'm just mentally inane.
Tue 26/10/04 at 23:38
Regular
I think the driver problems was only with the early editions of XP.

Its on SP2 now, and all my old crap works fine with it. Like my 7 year old HP 690C printer. Vintage.
Tue 26/10/04 at 23:43
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
> Buy XP Home

Make sure you go for the Service Pack 2 edition, it'll save you downloading it later.

> reformat the drive (NTFS)

Format your drive to start a fresh as normal, but select NTFS as opposed to FAT32. Just know that the NTFS set-up is a lot better for your system. If you pop in the XP CD it should do this for you, as well as partition it.

> install XP in the partition

The partition will be created after you format the drive. Nothing to worry about unless you start making multiple partitions. The hard drive you're using now is on a single partition, so it'll be nothing new to learn once XP is installed.
Tue 26/10/04 at 23:49
Regular
I went and fixed a friend of mines machine who was using ME.

Before, her machine was riddled with viruses, spyware and worms that had managed to exploit the loopholes ME exposed.

She's now got a fully reformatted XP (SP2'd system) that's firewalled, virus protected and pretty much sorted.

Moral of story?

ME is w**k.
Wed 27/10/04 at 12:32
Regular
"Freeola Support"
How fast is the machine as if you do not have a powerful processor from 2000 you may find XP will be very sluggish (although it won't crash half as much as ME)
Wed 27/10/04 at 12:39
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Is use ME on this desktop, and XP on my laptop. Put it this way: it's called ME for a reason.
Wed 27/10/04 at 12:53
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Afternoon wrote:
> How fast is the machine as if you do not have a powerful processor
> from 2000 you may find XP will be very sluggish (although it won't
> crash half as much as ME)

That's what I could see as one of the few problems, myself. It's a 1.4, so an upgrade to XP might need a 2.3/4
Wed 27/10/04 at 13:50
Regular
"Freeola Support"
I've run XP on a 1GHZ machine before and it performs well enough.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.