GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memory (RAM) error fixing software..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/10/04 at 19:13
Regular
Anyone know of any software that will try to fix RAM errors? I don't have a problem with system stability however I have ran Memory Test x86 and it brought back over 400 individual errors across all 11 tests despite passing all 11.

Are these types of errors fixable or is just a case of putting up?

I would be interested on any programs anyone might have relating to solving/fixing memory errors.

One other thing, are there any tools that will COMPLETELY scan the whole of the Hard Drive? Check Disk misses segments out and I would be interested in knowing a way or getting a scan utility that will scan the whole of the disk and all the segments.

Cheers!
Wed 27/10/04 at 12:10
Regular
It was out of pure interest when I ran the memory test from Dos. I have had no crashes, no performance issues and no windows based errors.

The sticks passed all 11 tests but each pass had a number of errors.

Would anyone else be so kind as to run the test from:

[URL]http://www.memtest86.com/[URL] and boot from floppy and see how it goes?
Wed 27/10/04 at 11:58
Regular
If you are getting RAM errors, your RAM is pretty much screwed.

If it's still under warrenty, I'm sure you can exchange/have it replaced.

The best thing to do is find which stick is producing the errors first.
Wed 27/10/04 at 10:55
Regular
Yeah, seems to be a problem with most. Will change it back.
Wed 27/10/04 at 10:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
A-X-K wrote:
> Turbo, what do you mean about it being unlikely I have a decent
> motherboard?!

I dont think he recognises you with your new name.
Wed 27/10/04 at 10:39
Regular
True, Check Disk either truncates the data or allocates it to a different area of the disk.

I take it there is no way of actually fixing the errors...
Wed 27/10/04 at 10:34
A-X-K wrote:
> A Hard Drive is hardware but errors can be fixed. Although data isn't
> written to and read from RAM in the same way I am sure there must be
> some way of fixing the errors.
>

Any errors that can be fixed is software related, i.e. just a case of rearranging sectors on the HD. But if the actual sectors are showing up errors, disk scanners mark them as redundant, in effect ignoring them for use. SO in actual fact, no repairing is done here.

The same can be said of RAM, you can't actually repair any of it; as all variabledata stored there is erased on power down anyway, and everything else is permanently configured at the factory.
Wed 27/10/04 at 08:35
Regular
Mav, fdisk is a Dos util that removes partitions from the disk but it won't actually scan and remove bad segments. From what I have read the only way around this is to create a partition for the bad segments and then install windows on another partition. I have never come across or needed to fix errors like that but wouldn't mind knowing if there are any seriously decent programs that can do this. I have TuneXP which does a check disk through DOS but again you have the same issue of it ignoring segments outside of the active partition.

Turbo, what do you mean about it being unlikely I have a decent motherboard?! The Abit AV8 Deluxe is probably the best socket 939 motherboard you can buy at the moment and yes you can change the voltage for the DRAM, AGP etc etc. The memory passed all 11 tests and I don't have an issue with it as of yet, just interested in finding a way to possibly fix the errors that are on there.

More out of interest than anything else.
Tue 26/10/04 at 20:56
Regular
A-X-K wrote:
> One other thing, are there any tools that will COMPLETELY scan the
> whole of the Hard Drive?

There's a bunch of HDD scanning DOS apps available, which, by their very nature, aren't bound by Windows constraints and are therefore further reaching. Try a google search.
Tue 26/10/04 at 20:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If your RAM is producing errors the only thing you can do is replace it. Your last post underlines a fundamental difference between memory and harddisks. RAM is solid state, it has no moving parts and as such it cannot be changed in any permanent manner. Harddisks are completely opposite, consisting entirely of moving parts - changes to the harddisk's magnetic structure stay changed (which is why they are used as storage), and as such problems can be solved.

What this boils down to is, you must replace your memory to eliminate these errors. If it starts causing problems, and you have a decent motherboard (unlikely), you can increase your DRAM voltage, increase DRAM timings and decrease DRAM clock. This will supress the errors, but your system performance will slow. Also I wouldn't recommend increasing your voltage by more than 0.15V or so.
Tue 26/10/04 at 20:32
Regular
A Hard Drive is hardware but errors can be fixed. Although data isn't written to and read from RAM in the same way I am sure there must be some way of fixing the errors.

Oh and I have done a full Disk check after restarting windows, even fdisk can not sort certain errors though and people have had to partition the bad sectors in order to do a new format and create a new parition. Obviously these are extreme cases but I would like a better disk check than the one that comes with Windows.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.