GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola web hosting question..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/10/04 at 19:45
Regular
"Yearr!"
Ok I know you get unlimited free webspace with Freeola broadband but I have a question about the monthly traffic bandwidth limit for a freeola site...

Is it the same thing as the 'monthly data use' you choose when selecting a package?
What I mean is if I got more than say the 3gb in traffic would my site/isp stop working, or is it just for my own downloads uploads?

Any help would be great, thanks.
Sun 31/10/04 at 13:33
Regular
"Freeola Support"
We will tell you (make sure you have a contact number in your Control Panel or ADSL account), I wouldn't worry about pictures though as yours are pretty well optimized.
I don't know if we will be able to give out stats but if you require something to log stats [URL]http://www.extreme-dm.com/tracking/[/URL] you can't beat Extreme Tracking.
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:36
Regular
Afternoon wrote:
> ADSL members on the capped options should find we will be placing on
> the connection page how much of the cap has been used within that
> month.
OK, thats good, but, I'm coming over to Freeola ADSL right now, on the uncapped 512 option, how will I know if my site [URL] http://www.sturgess.co.uk [/URL] is going to break your high useage checks? I have a lot of bike pictures on my site and I know its used by a lot of the guys I have taken pictures of.
So when are you guys (FREEOLA) giving us web stats to check our site traffic etc...
Wed 27/10/04 at 11:49
Regular
"Freeola Support"
cjh wrote:
> When did this kick in, and how come an email wasn't sent from Freeola
> support? Do customer sites now have a set limit per day/week/month,
> or is it just a case of if you system gets bogged down, you'll find
> the heavy users and taken action?
This has always been the case, we generally only take action against websites if the site uses stupid amounts of resources, generally sites that use over a gig of bandwidth a day are placed on our watch list.

> That's a little bit tight fisted isn't it? Why not just bump them up
> to the next price level for whichever package they need to be
> re-assigned to? Asking for £10 when its usually just £3
> extra (in your example 1MB service) just gives the impression that
> you're trying to milk whatever you can get.
This is a penalty charge, if you require more bandwidth you can easily change your cap for the next month in the Freeola Control Panel free of charge.

> Do you at least offer the user the chance to select weather they
> accept this upgrade for the month or to have their service stopped
> until the next month? As the whole point of going for a capped
> service is to save money. I'd be pretty annoyed to find that a single
> email or web page over the limit would cost me £10 instantly.
ADSL members on the capped options should find we will be placing on the connection page how much of the cap has been used within that month.
Tue 26/10/04 at 23:27
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Afternoon wrote:
> We currently do not offer Unlimited Bandwidth and we do monitor
> websites using a lot of bandwidth or system resources.

When did this kick in, and how come an email wasn't sent from Freeola support? Do customer sites now have a set limit per day/week/month, or is it just a case of if you system gets bogged down, you'll find the heavy users and taken action?

> if you do go over your cap £9.99 extra is charged for that month
> and the cap is raised to the next level (so if you have the 10 gig cap
> this will be put on the 30 gig cap) for that month.

That's a little bit tight fisted isn't it? Why not just bump them up to the next price level for whichever package they need to be re-assigned to? Asking for £10 when its usually just £3 extra (in your example 1MB service) just gives the impression that you're trying to milk whatever you can get.

Do you at least offer the user the chance to select weather they accept this upgrade for the month or to have their service stopped until the next month? As the whole point of going for a capped service is to save money. I'd be pretty annoyed to find that a single email or web page over the limit would cost me £10 instantly.
Tue 26/10/04 at 11:09
Regular
"Freeola Support"
cjh wrote:
> Freeola did offer unlimited bandwidth for Freeola customer web sites
> as well, but I don't know if that is still the case. I can't see it
> mentioned under there free web space page, and it used to be one of
> the things they shouted about.
We currently do not offer Unlimited Bandwidth and we do monitor websites using a lot of bandwidth or system resources. If we feel the site is using to much in the way of bandwidth we will obviously tell you.

> Monthly data usage should be seperate (I'd be very suprised if they
> mixed them together). The caps they have on the broadband don't
> affect the bandwidth used for other people to view your web site. So,
> if you go for the 3GB per-month broadband, your Freeola web space
> won't have this cap, and anybody can view your site whenever they
> want, even if you've used your personal monthly cap.
The caps for your broadband are seperate but do remember when you are uploading to your Freeola site you are still using your cap, for instants if you are on a 3 Gig cap and you upload a 1 gig file you would have used 1 gigabyte of your monthly cap.

> On a personal note though, I wouldn't go for a capped broadband
> service at all. You may think its better to get a faster connection
> for the same price, but a cap will always bite you in the ass one
> day. I'd stick with the 512 unlimited service if you go for Freeola
> broadband. Because you alone don't have control of how much of your
> monthly limit you use. Little things like auto-updates, checking for
> email, instant messaging all takes up bandwidth, both inwards and
> outbound. The worst case is if you're a target for a hacker or have
> your PC infected with a zombie, your bandwidth could be sucked up
> quickly, leaving you out of pocket and without broadband until the
> next month.
We obviously have had a lot of requests for the capped service, if you do go over your cap £9.99 extra is charged for that month and the cap is raised to the next level (so if you have the 10gig cap this will be put on the 30 gig cap) for that month.

> I'd wait for Afternoon to answer properly (just in case I'm wrong),
> as he works for Freeola and knows it all.
Done.
Mon 25/10/04 at 22:11
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Freeola did offer unlimited bandwidth for Freeola customer web sites as well, but I don't know if that is still the case. I can't see it mentioned under there free web space page, and it used to be one of the things they shouted about.

Monthly data usage should be seperate (I'd be very suprised if they mixed them together). The caps they have on the broadband don't affect the bandwidth used for other people to view your web site. So, if you go for the 3GB per-month broadband, your Freeola web space won't have this cap, and anybody can view your site whenever they want, even if you've used your personal monthly cap.

Like I say, I'd be suprised if Freeola limited the bandwidth on your web space to match that of your broadband (it would make me look elsewhere for broadband straight away).

On a personal note though, I wouldn't go for a capped broadband service at all. You may think its better to get a faster connection for the same price, but a cap will always bite you in the ass one day. I'd stick with the 512 unlimited service if you go for Freeola broadband. Because you alone don't have control of how much of your monthly limit you use. Little things like auto-updates, checking for email, instant messaging all takes up bandwidth, both inwards and outbound. The worst case is if you're a target for a hacker or have your PC infected with a zombie, your bandwidth could be sucked up quickly, leaving you out of pocket and without broadband until the next month.

I'd wait for Afternoon to answer properly (just in case I'm wrong), as he works for Freeola and knows it all.
Mon 25/10/04 at 19:45
Regular
"Yearr!"
Ok I know you get unlimited free webspace with Freeola broadband but I have a question about the monthly traffic bandwidth limit for a freeola site...

Is it the same thing as the 'monthly data use' you choose when selecting a package?
What I mean is if I got more than say the 3gb in traffic would my site/isp stop working, or is it just for my own downloads uploads?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.