GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Odd problem with WMP"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/10/04 at 19:33
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I tried playing a DVD today (well, two actually) and Media Player informed me that I had a problem with digital copyright protection.

After running through Windows' useless help system, I decided to download WMP10 and reinstall it again.

So I go to the MS website, and it says I need a Windows genuine check. I had no problems with this, as I bought my PC from DELL last year and Windows Xp came with it. The installer had "technical dificulties" and couldn't decide whether I was genuine or not.

So then I reinstall PowerDVD, and it works no problem.

Um... help?
Sun 24/10/04 at 19:33
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I tried playing a DVD today (well, two actually) and Media Player informed me that I had a problem with digital copyright protection.

After running through Windows' useless help system, I decided to download WMP10 and reinstall it again.

So I go to the MS website, and it says I need a Windows genuine check. I had no problems with this, as I bought my PC from DELL last year and Windows Xp came with it. The installer had "technical dificulties" and couldn't decide whether I was genuine or not.

So then I reinstall PowerDVD, and it works no problem.

Um... help?
Sun 24/10/04 at 19:47
If you have PowerDVD, use it. WMP is rubbish for that; I tried a genuine OS check yesterday to install some software... didin't work of course.
Sun 24/10/04 at 19:51
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Gah.

I had PowerDVD installed with my Dell originally, but I uninstalled it ages ago because I never used it.

I downloaded a trial so I could watch the DVD, but it only has support for five minutes of audio- what's up with that?!
Sun 24/10/04 at 23:03
Regular
"Bicycle"
I recommend REALone player, with some DIVX codecs. Who knows, it might work.

Just a thought.
Mon 25/10/04 at 06:58
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Oh God, not REAL player.

*shudder*

If I'm ever forced to install that piece of crap again I'm going to cry. In the end I stuck it on my iBook and played it on there, I'll just live without playing it on my PC.
Mon 25/10/04 at 15:37
Regular
"Freeola Support"
I would not recommend WMP for DVD's see if you can't use the Power DVD key you should have got with your Dell PC and unlock Power DVD
Mon 25/10/04 at 19:40
Chipseh wrote:
> Gah.
>
> I had PowerDVD installed with my Dell originally, but I uninstalled
> it ages ago because I never used it.
>

As Afternoon said, there must be a card with the serial key on it. Failing that, use your ingenuity and somehow find it. Possibly from an online location.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.