GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DREAMCAST, BANNED?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/05/00 at 15:51
Regular
has anyone heard the rumours about the world govenment trying to ban the dreamcast because it has too much technology crammed into that tiny shell.
They are thretening to ban it as it is too advanced, even though it is still being running cd's and not dvd'd it is a very powerful console letting anyone with a tv and phone line send e-mails, and even play games against people from around the world!!
They don't know that when the dolphin and psx 2 (crap playstations)they will be the new rulers of the console/gaming world and how is there going to be a ban on all of these computors?? the power of consoles are skyrocketing almost out of control, the first consol built in 1960's had as much brain power as a mickey mouse calculator, and was too big to fit underneath a tv in your room or in a cabinet, but probably had it's own truck to hold it, but now! 40 years later sega have fitted 128mb of ram + internet servers and whatever else they could cram in, to build a new super console to travel where no other console has travelled b4.....
Thu 04/05/00 at 16:57
maxgames wrote:
> I've never heard anything about the Dreamcast being banned for
> that reason, but I know that the PlayStation was in some trouble
> outside of japan because it was powerful enough to be classed as a
> super-computer, which some countries will not allow to be
> imported. However, this has now been resolved and the whole world
> can experience the joy of the PS2.

Yes, I think it was something to do with the US government - as they would have classed the PS2 as 'military technology' (because the CPU processes more than certain no. of operations per second) - they would have not allowed it be exported to certain countries (e.g. China, various Middle-East and South-American countries, etc.).

Incidentally, this classification of consumer computer products as 'military technology' is what has, until recently, stopped us European users getting web browser software with 128-bit SSL encryption from the like of MS and Netscape.

> The Dreamcast is under threat of being banned however, as US
> memory-makers RAMBUS are trying to stop all imports of the
> Dreamcast to America, claiming that the Dreamcast's memory chips
> infringe their copyright. However, this attempt to sink the
> Dreamcast comes shortly after their announcement that they are
> supporting the PS2 100%. Hmmmm... Conspiracy maybe? What does
> anyone else think?

Well, maybe just your average bout of corporate paranoia. In fact, I remember earlier this year, another company tried suing Sega over alleged patent infringement of the Dreamcast's CD drive optical technology (http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/15324.html). That never came to much, though...
Mon 01/05/00 at 18:01
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I've never heard anything about the Dreamcast being banned for that reason, but I know that the PlayStation was in some trouble outside of japan because it was powerful enough to be classed as a super-computer, which some countries will not allow to be imported. However, this has now been resolved and the whole world can experience the joy of the PS2.
The Dreamcast is under threat of being banned however, as US memory-makers RAMBUS are trying to stop all imports of the Dreamcast to America, claiming that the Dreamcast's memory chips infringe their copyright. However, this attempt to sink the Dreamcast comes shortly after their announcement that they are supporting the PS2 100%. Hmmmm... Conspiracy maybe? What does anyone else think?
Mon 01/05/00 at 15:51
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
has anyone heard the rumours about the world govenment trying to ban the dreamcast because it has too much technology crammed into that tiny shell.
They are thretening to ban it as it is too advanced, even though it is still being running cd's and not dvd'd it is a very powerful console letting anyone with a tv and phone line send e-mails, and even play games against people from around the world!!
They don't know that when the dolphin and psx 2 (crap playstations)they will be the new rulers of the console/gaming world and how is there going to be a ban on all of these computors?? the power of consoles are skyrocketing almost out of control, the first consol built in 1960's had as much brain power as a mickey mouse calculator, and was too big to fit underneath a tv in your room or in a cabinet, but probably had it's own truck to hold it, but now! 40 years later sega have fitted 128mb of ram + internet servers and whatever else they could cram in, to build a new super console to travel where no other console has travelled b4.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.