GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheats - the Serial Killer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/05/01 at 18:13
Regular
Cheats are always part of a game. You are almost 100% guaranteed to get a cheat of some sort in a game. Level selects have been with us for ages. Level selects were part of our everyday games – Sonic 1 featured one of the most famous cheats ever. Ask any true gamer and he’ll explain to you that to get the level select on Sonic the Hedgehog 1 you need to press Up, down, left, right and then hold A and start.

Cheats are a huge part of games these days. There are two types of these cheats, the ‘game killers’ such as level selects, invincibility, infinite ammo and all weapons that can absolutely ruin the lastability of a game, and the ‘fun cheats’ that give you enjoyment but don’t harm your game (eg. Big head mode). A game designed to make you play it for about a year could be reduced to a game you will play for just one month because of a simple code you tapped in. Cheats also come in two forms. You either have to type or tap them in or win them by completing various challenges, which I think is far the better idea. So if cheats ruin games so much why do game makers include them in their games? They implant these little things for the player’s enjoyment and to reinstate interest in the game if a game has been completed and is no longer liked by a player. A player just may not be capable of completing the game or accessing a cheat. The Goldeneye cheat for invincibility was impossible to get for some no matter how much they wanted it. People would work so hard to get it but usually with no luck. Some people like myself just couldn’t get it and relied on the cheats to get what we wanted.

Is the use of cheats good though? Cheats ARE the biggest game killers. They destroy your enjoyment, as it is human nature to try a cheat even if you don’t think you need it. People see a cheat; fancy trying it just to ‘see what it’s like’ but end up using the cheats to complete the game. For example instead of clearing each level on a game like Sonic 2 people would try all the levels by a level select and decide they had ‘completed the game’ because they had played all the levels. A perfect example is a boy in my class. He got Goldeneye 2 years after it’s release. The cheats were out so he used them and within a month he had stopped playing it. If you have played Goldeneye think about how long you played that for entertainment compared to the time he played it for it’s quite saddening and it brings a tear to your eye. Fortunately game developers now hold back their cheats for as long as they can. Goldeneye released those great cheats after 2 years. I had played Goldeneye a lot over that period of time but my interest had then gone. However sadly the media will usually grab these cheats as quickly as possible to get the exclusive and this competition has led to cheats being released a few months after a games release.

Cheats are killing games! They really are. People can so easily get hold of them with Internet sites getting cheats as soon as they possibly can. People use them as the temptation is there and they can’t stop not wanting to use them as I said earlier its human nature. Games designed for months of entertainment are reduced by many weeks and game life is so small in comparison to the time the game took to make. It really is terrible. For the future game developers should take a leaf out of Rare’s books. This developer has withheld cheats for long periods of time: again take Goldeneye for example. This game featured the best cheats system ever. Those ‘game killers’ such as invincibility strayed into the ‘fun cheat’ category as they didn’t allow a player to complete levels while these cheats were on. They also developed a great system where you had to gain cheats through ability by making so called timed cheats. This is the way all future games should devise their cheat systems. If they did this gaming could be even better than ever. All we can do is try not to even look at cheats, then you won’t cheat and then you won’t cheat yourself.
Tue 08/05/01 at 19:44
On this topic I must agree with Rakuga 100%.The cheats that just make it a heck a lot easier to complete a game, are just a waste of time and are made entirely for those who are just plain lazy.The point of a game I have always thought is so that it is a challenge and fun at the same time.Sort of like someone climbing a mountain or swimming the channel.It is something that gives you a lot of satisfaction just for knowing you did it all yourself. You wouldnt't celebrate if you got a helicopter to fly you to the top of a mountain, or flying across the channel in an aeroplane.It totally ruins it, and if you do cheat you get nowhere near as much fun and satisfaction as if you had done it yourself.
Now i must admit to using a couple of 'game killers', and have regretted it every time.I will not name these games, but I can tell you that they would have been 100 times better without these cheats.A game that supposedly had a life of months was reduced to a couple of days by this cheat.I didn't complete it, I just got completely bored of it.I had already unlocked all of the secrets with cheats, so there was nothing left worth playing for.I had played on all the levels, used all the weapons and it just didnt interest me anymore.The offending game has spent the last year and a half collecting dusk under my bed.
Now the other types of cheats Rakuga mentioned were the 'fun cheats'.These are the ones that i use on a regular basis.For instance, the cheat that allows you to use a rickshaw instead of a taxi in Crazy Taxi.There is no other way that to unlock this bike and it is a lot of fun so I dont regret using it.I also use some other cheats like big head mode, big hand mode ....etc.These are the cheats that keep me interested in a game for longer.For example, i got bored of my version of ISS 64 a long long time ago.Then i found some cheats that let you do any number of silly things to the players and gameplay.Since discovering these cheats I have regained my interest in this game and have since been playing it on a regular basis, pulling me away from my regular routine of resident evil and crazy taxi.
As Rakuga aso pointed out, a lot of game's cheats are only accessed by entering codes or pressing a few buttons in a certain order.This way of accessing a cheat is sometimes OK for the fun cheats, but most of the time it makes the game boring.You can find out all the secrets of the game just by tapping a few buttons, making it very uninteresting.It is a very good idea having to work for your cheats, prolonging the life a game by months and maybe (sometimes) years.I feel that it is the manufacturers responsibility to make a game last as long as possible, making it a challenge to complete it.Making it so that you can complete the game by putting minimal effort in is practically criminal.These games are supposed to be a challenge.Not a challenge to see how many cheats you can find for it on the internet.The only thing worse than the manufacturers making these game killing cheats avaible, is the people who use them all the time.I may have used them once or twice, but i have regretted it every time and have since learnt my lesson.
If the manufacturers made games without readily available cheats they would probably find their overall sales increasing as people would find the games more interesting.
Now i know Rakuga on a personal basis, and we dont often agree on a lot of things.However i believe that this is one thing that both him/her and I believe in strongly.
Tue 08/05/01 at 19:10
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
what you mean I wrote all this for nothing? :( Rakuga pulls out a gun and takes his own life. Gun doesn't work so Rakuga decides to continue.
Tue 08/05/01 at 19:05
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Yes, but as everyone knows, recycling is good for the environment.
Tue 08/05/01 at 19:03
Regular
Hasn't this topic been posted before....several times but with different wording?
Tue 08/05/01 at 18:57
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Conker's bad fur day has tons of cheats and has loads of cheat cartridge cheats!
Tue 08/05/01 at 18:13
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Cheats are always part of a game. You are almost 100% guaranteed to get a cheat of some sort in a game. Level selects have been with us for ages. Level selects were part of our everyday games – Sonic 1 featured one of the most famous cheats ever. Ask any true gamer and he’ll explain to you that to get the level select on Sonic the Hedgehog 1 you need to press Up, down, left, right and then hold A and start.

Cheats are a huge part of games these days. There are two types of these cheats, the ‘game killers’ such as level selects, invincibility, infinite ammo and all weapons that can absolutely ruin the lastability of a game, and the ‘fun cheats’ that give you enjoyment but don’t harm your game (eg. Big head mode). A game designed to make you play it for about a year could be reduced to a game you will play for just one month because of a simple code you tapped in. Cheats also come in two forms. You either have to type or tap them in or win them by completing various challenges, which I think is far the better idea. So if cheats ruin games so much why do game makers include them in their games? They implant these little things for the player’s enjoyment and to reinstate interest in the game if a game has been completed and is no longer liked by a player. A player just may not be capable of completing the game or accessing a cheat. The Goldeneye cheat for invincibility was impossible to get for some no matter how much they wanted it. People would work so hard to get it but usually with no luck. Some people like myself just couldn’t get it and relied on the cheats to get what we wanted.

Is the use of cheats good though? Cheats ARE the biggest game killers. They destroy your enjoyment, as it is human nature to try a cheat even if you don’t think you need it. People see a cheat; fancy trying it just to ‘see what it’s like’ but end up using the cheats to complete the game. For example instead of clearing each level on a game like Sonic 2 people would try all the levels by a level select and decide they had ‘completed the game’ because they had played all the levels. A perfect example is a boy in my class. He got Goldeneye 2 years after it’s release. The cheats were out so he used them and within a month he had stopped playing it. If you have played Goldeneye think about how long you played that for entertainment compared to the time he played it for it’s quite saddening and it brings a tear to your eye. Fortunately game developers now hold back their cheats for as long as they can. Goldeneye released those great cheats after 2 years. I had played Goldeneye a lot over that period of time but my interest had then gone. However sadly the media will usually grab these cheats as quickly as possible to get the exclusive and this competition has led to cheats being released a few months after a games release.

Cheats are killing games! They really are. People can so easily get hold of them with Internet sites getting cheats as soon as they possibly can. People use them as the temptation is there and they can’t stop not wanting to use them as I said earlier its human nature. Games designed for months of entertainment are reduced by many weeks and game life is so small in comparison to the time the game took to make. It really is terrible. For the future game developers should take a leaf out of Rare’s books. This developer has withheld cheats for long periods of time: again take Goldeneye for example. This game featured the best cheats system ever. Those ‘game killers’ such as invincibility strayed into the ‘fun cheat’ category as they didn’t allow a player to complete levels while these cheats were on. They also developed a great system where you had to gain cheats through ability by making so called timed cheats. This is the way all future games should devise their cheat systems. If they did this gaming could be even better than ever. All we can do is try not to even look at cheats, then you won’t cheat and then you won’t cheat yourself.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.