GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Faults with the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/01/05 at 14:55
Regular
First off, thanks to midwest4life for suggesting that I make a nice, neat collection of DS problems instead of just bitching about them. I hope he and you all enjoy this as much as I did.
DEAD PIXELS
The Nintendo DS has hardly been out for a week and already problem reports are being filed. Some customers are finding that their brand new DS systems have fallen prey to an ailment that affects all forms of products using LCD monitors. The dreaded dead pixels
Nintendo has responded to this issue:
"With a small number of Nintendo DS screens, one or two dots on the screen may appear to be "stuck" on a particular color, such as white or red. This effect is caused when a particular pixel (the dots that make up the screen) is not working properly, even with the high quality standards set by LCD manufacturers. You will find this situation is common in many LCD devices, (PC monitors, televisions, cell phones, etc.).
This is nothing new. It's not very uncommon for LCD screens to suffer from dead pixels. Hell, even the PSP has a few. However it is STILL a problem and belongs here.
-----
BATTERIES SLOWLY DYING?
Taken from Nintendo's Customer Support page:
The Nintendo DS rechargeable battery's capacity will decrease over time and with use. If you have been using and charging your Nintendo DS extensively, you may consider purchasing a replacement battery. (Battery life can be expected to drop after about 500 charges.) To order a replacement battery, please click here.
If you are using a replacement battery, make sure you are using the official rechargeable battery from Nintendo, which is only available through Nintendo. If you received your replacement battery from any other source, it could be an unlicensed product. For information on ordering a replacement battery directly from Nintendo, please click here.
If you have a licensed battery that has not been used extensively, your system will need to be repaired.
This shocked me. The reason I found this particular problem so interesting is that the Nintendo fanboys are always whining about, "Oh, the PSP has horrible battery life! Our DS may have slightly worse graphics but at least they last longer!" -and to that I say, Sorry, try again!
-----
STICKY BUTTONS
I stumbled upon this little problem and laughed. Here's what Nintendo has to say about it:
What you will need:
1 jeweler's philips head screwdriver (for battery removal)
1 clean toothbrush (no toothpaste on it)
1 cup of warm tap water
1 paper towel
Important Note: Do not submerge the Nintendo DS or pour water on it directly. Getting any amount of water inside the Nintendo DS will likely cause permanent damage.
Troubleshooting Steps:
Turn off the Nintendo DS. Remove the AC adapter, and any games.
Remove the battery from the Nintendo DS (for information on how to remove the battery, click here).
Turn the Nintendo DS screens-side down so that the buttons are facing down. This prevents water from getting inside the unit.
Moisten the bristles of the toothbrush--do not get them dripping wet--in the warm water. Keeping the toothbrush below the DS, scrub the area around the buttons from underneath, working the bristles around the sides of the buttons.
After cleaning the buttons, dry off the unit with a paper towel.
Let the system air dry (screen down) for at least a couple of hours.
Re-install the battery and replace the battery cover with the built-in screw. Be sure to insert the battery correctly.
Test your system for proper response.
Repeat the process if necessary.
There is no excuse for this! Why the hell should I have to crack open my $150 system and play Nip/Tuck with it? That's just plain lazy right there.
-----
HANDS-ON PROBLEMS From Geartest.com
Problems
The Nintendo DS is not without its problems, including some difficulty simultaneously seeing both screens clearly due to parallax -- the shifting of the view when seen from different angles -- depending on which screen you are looking at in a given moment. If looking at the top screen, the bottom screen will seem to dim in comparison, and vice versa.
The stylus is far too small, especially for adults with large hands. Stubby pencils that are distributed to fill out forms at government offices are larger, thicker, and therefore much more manageable and easier to use.
The keys on the virtual keyboard are too small and require a high degree of accuracy when typing a message. A longer stylus would mitigate this problem.
The Nintendo DS locked up completely about a minute into the PictoChat session. It gave no indication of the problem. The only method of unfreezing and recovering from the system error was to shut down and reboot the machine.
In the span of an hour, three of the six Nintendo DS units froze in a similar manner while running three different applications, which suggests a firmware or hardware problem. Keep in mind that these were late pre-production models. If it is a firmware issue a software update should be able to fix the problem. If there is something wrong with the hardware, that is much more serious.
Finally, an ergonomic issue arises when playing games in stylus/touchscreen mode. The weight of the unit has to be supported by one hand, which leads to a sore hand after extended use. Nintendo says it will resolve the problem with a stylus that you can strap to your thumb, giving players the ability to use the stylus while holding the Nintendo DS with both hands.
-----
Those are just some of the problems I've run across. I've heard of a few more but I wanna be fair and wait until I can get proof of their existance before I post
Sat 08/01/05 at 01:34
Regular
"DEAD PIXELS...However it is STILL a problem and belongs here."

No, it doesn't.

That's a fault with LCD technology - not the DS' technology.
Fri 07/01/05 at 20:02
Regular
"-_-"
Edgy wrote:
> Domaye wrote:
>
> Ahahahahhahah...ha. Thats funny. Fact is all lcd screens get dead
> pixels and although you maythink manufacturers replace them, they
> dont. There has to be at least 4 dead pixels (on an lcd screen)
>
> We use LCD screens in work. I've not seen one with a single dead
> pixel yet.

Sorry everyone im dumb wasnt supposed to read like that (didnt check it :S) all lcds can get dead pixels and it can happen to any of them its quite a rare occurance though.
Fri 07/01/05 at 18:44
Regular
It's the only reason I ain't blocked them.
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I enjoy laughing at how stupid they are.
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:24
Regular
In a Lotus?
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
They are a couple of wang bangers, we should all block them both and take heart from the picture of them huddling together for warmth in the coldness of neglect.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:44
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The best thing is that you KNOW that if the PSP was dual touchscreen, they would be singing its praises from the rooftops.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
It seems to amount to 'I hate the DS and consequently attack every thing about it. The PSP on the other hand, is the bastion of goodness and light in the world'
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:34
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Top Score is rubbish. It's Macintosh that makes me laugh, because he's exactly the same as Top Score he just pretends to know what he's talking about.

"I think the touchscreen is bad because I've used a PDA and it's not as good as a keyboard"
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:32
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Top Score, can you read, argue and make a point, at all?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.