GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CSS help anyone? Could be some div nuance"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/10/04 at 01:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hey there. I have a problem with some CSS on: [URL]http://www.sine-wave.net/deleteme/signup.php[/URL].

If you look at it in Firefox/Moz/Decent browsers you get a great thumbs up, but in IE it's a massive thumbs down. The menu on the right is a div and the main text is also a div. When I remove absolute positioning on the main div it seems to work fine, so I think the nested divs or left-most div is causing some problems. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks!

IE be damned! Even my phone renders it properly heh.

EDIT: Those inputs look like they're aligned right, they're not, it's a coincidence. The label span seems to be sized 50% between the #main div, and formw span seems to be sized 50% from the whole page.
Tue 26/10/04 at 22:45
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I'm a bit scared of using fieldsets and labels, what's their browser
> support like?

Browser support isn't really an issue, as there isn't really anything to support with and (asside from a border and which CSS can turn off). They are new to HTML and xHTML, but browsers should be designed to ignore tags they don't understand. If a browser comes across a tag that it doesn't support it, it'll just skip to the next tag and display the input.

But they can be great aids to browsers that do support them. One being that labelled elements are clickable to put the focus on the element they are linked to via the for attribute. While this may not seem like much of an advantage for text input elements, radio buttons are small, and giving the user a wider range to click on to select it can be a welcomed addition to any web site.

is designed to group larger forms into sections. While you may think this is easily done with HTML and CSS, non-visual browser can't make that distinction without the
tags.
Tue 26/10/04 at 22:35
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Coin wrote:
> Isn't JS Open Source, so you can't technically copyright it?

I'm pretty sure you can't copyright JavaScript code as such, though if you built an entire unique application from it with the intention of using it for your business, and others attepted to profit using that application, you may have more of a case that someone who claims a pop-up window is theirs.
Tue 26/10/04 at 20:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'm a bit scared of using fieldsets and labels, what's their browser support like? No-one really cared about semantics in the golden days when I learned HTML. If you wanted whitespace between paragraphs, you just did

and were applauded for your mission-centric approach.
Tue 26/10/04 at 12:11
Regular
"Bicycle"
Isn't JS Open Source, so you can't technically copyright it?

Unless it's an odd mark-up idea, that is offered as open source, as long as there is credit given...

Ugh. I hate CC.
Tue 26/10/04 at 09:17
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Turbonutter wrote:
> When I wrote that markup I wasn't aware of

Next up is the fieldset then (unless you know about those too).

Age verification

Tue 26/10/04 at 09:12
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tyla wrote:
> Gives me something to do at work tomorrow.

I suppose for those with JavaScript enabled you could add an 'Are you sure you want to clear the whole form' confirm box before letting the data be wiped.

> Funny moment today. A firm one of my clients used to work for is
> being sued for breach of copyright based on the tabbing and white
> space in the Javascript!

Did I read that right? Someone is claiming they own a copyright on the way they've written some JavaScript?

I used to see that a lot on web sites, a 2-line piece of code to redirect out of frames with 10 lines of copyright.
Tue 26/10/04 at 08:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh my word, people are replying heh. Sorry guys, I've been busy re-installing Windows.

Thanks Alan, I'll give that a shot. When I wrote that markup I wasn't aware of
Tue 26/10/04 at 00:01
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Also, again nothing to slate, but would it not be better to have the
> reset button to the right of the submit, and not the left? As I can
> invision people hitting the tab and enter button after entering their
> last piece of text, and finding there filled in form is empty.
>
> Or perhaps remove the reset button altogether. It'll stop anybody
> from hitting it by mistake, and I don't think it is used all that
> muchthese days anywhere (when was the last time you used one).

Somthing I've alway had trouble with is button order.and in theory all you need is submit, but then are you removing and accessible option by taking away reset? Tabindexing, I've always placed the button in that order with a tab index making submit first, but your right about natural tabbing.

Gives me something to do at work tomorrow.

FWIW, only time I use reset is for credit card details.

> I like the header image, and the drop-down works great (aside form
> the horizontal pop-up of the nav bar). Was it for this site you were
> asking about the suckerfish stuff on DO?

My suckerfish is a mess. Must have been elsewhere when i coded it due to so many missing closing tags! Try validating it... Blonde moment there!;)

Funny moment today. A firm one of my clients used to work for i sbeing sued for breach of copyright based on the tabbing and white space in the Javascript!

Almost died laughing
Mon 25/10/04 at 22:02
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tyla wrote:
> Before anyone starts slating it ...

Nothing to slate, but the submit and reset buttons are hidden behind the footer. Just thought I'd let you know in case you've got a 1024 x 768 screen res and hadn't checked an 800 x 600.

Also, again nothing to slate, but would it not be better to have the reset button to the right of the submit, and not the left? As I can invision people hitting the tab and enter button after entering their last piece of text, and finding there filled in form is empty.

Or perhaps remove the reset button altogether. It'll stop anybody from hitting it by mistake, and I don't think it is used all that muchthese days anywhere (when was the last time you used one).

I like the header image, and the drop-down works great (aside form the horizontal pop-up of the nav bar). Was it for this site you were asking about the suckerfish stuff on DO?
Mon 25/10/04 at 13:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I know you said it's still in progress, but the second drop down menu brings up the horizontal scrollbar, and it gets even wider on 'RC Treatt'. Sorry.

I've got a few designs to share in a week or so.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.