GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just to finish off the setup..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/10/04 at 23:20
Regular
Until next year I have just finished ordereing the final stuff to the masteful setup...

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200XL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-050-CS) 1

ThermalRight SLK-948U (Socket 754/939/478) Heatsink (HS-014-TR) 1

Delta 80mm Fan (EHE) (FG-004-DE) 1

Akasa AK-PAX-2 PaxMate Plus Acoustic Absorption Mat (CM-006-AK) 1

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC) 1

That is it, the next upgrade will be a similar time in a year or so, finally capped off the best PC setup I have ever had. Will sit tight for Half Life 2 now ;)
Wed 20/10/04 at 12:48
Regular
"Bicycle"
Brilliant.

Well now I've got something to spend Christmas thinking about.
Wed 20/10/04 at 11:04
Regular
You don't need registered ECC memory to go over 1gb of ddr, Ecc is just Error correction.

colin
Wed 20/10/04 at 10:46
Regular
"Bicycle"
Is all your ram ECC?

Just thought you needed ECC to go over the 1GB mark...
Wed 20/10/04 at 10:14
Regular
Received everything yesterday so here go the impressions...

First off, the CPU Heat sink has been returned due to a shed load of parts missing so I will hopefully have a replacement before the end of the week.

I still took the standard CPU and heat sink off to swap the thermal paste for the Arctic Silver 5 stuff, managed to clock it to 2.55GHZ with the new Thermal paste whilst still maintaining stability, definite improvement here.

I also took the GPU and BGA Arctic Cooler off the graphics card to replace the Thermal Paste; again I could clock the card even further with a definite/noticeable improvement.

Conclusion, always go with Arctic Silver thermal paste, I have tried them all now and this has by far the best impact. Those wondering if it is worth the extra dosh then don't wonder, buy it; really that simple.

Secondly, the Akasa Paxmate plus sound control material. I have so far covered the base, the top and up the sides of the case with this stuff and it has done a kick ass job of lowering the case noise and stopping the vibrations from coming through the floor. As you can imagine with two 10,000RPM hard drives things do get a little noisy, especially with the crazy amount of high speeds fans I have. The case temperature is a degree or two higher than without the mats but this really isn't an issue as it isn't detrimental to how it operates. Worth the cash? Depends really on how quiet you want your case and whether you are willing to spend the extra money. Performance wise though they have been more than worth the money as far as I am concerned.

Thirdly and last but not least, the extra 1GB of system memory. Now before I decided to part with another £230 on possibly "needless" additional RAM I decided to have a gander around some forums. The opinions were mixed, some said it wasn't worth it yet where as others said it does make a difference to how smooth the game runs, the latter were correct.

No doubt it makes a difference having the Corsair XMSXL PRO but having 2GB of it makes my system fly like a fat b*tch smoking weed. The frame rate has maybe increased by 1, possibly 2 FPS with the Counter-Strike Source video stress test but that isn't really the issue here as the game/s runs a hell of a lot smoother than before without the transition to virtual memory happening when things get a little busy.

Again this is really down to how bothered you are about extremely high specifications as to whether to part with the money. For me it is worth it to be able to max everything out and still get 50-60FPS , I would suspect most on here are just happy to run games at medium detail. If you meet the first criteria, grab the extra 1GB of RAM, it makes a huge difference.
Mon 18/10/04 at 01:40
Regular
Oh and I will post opinions on the sound absorption jobby that I am kitting the case out with as well as pictures of the case completed and hopefully some better 3DMark scores :)
Mon 18/10/04 at 01:39
Regular
Is that before or after I have hit you across the head and dragged you into my gay sex traffic group with a fractured eye socket?!

;)
Mon 18/10/04 at 01:34
"I love yo... lamp."
I might have to "liberate" that machine from you...
Mon 18/10/04 at 01:33
Regular
Total specs will be:

Abit AV8 Deluxe Socket 939
Athlon 64 FX53 at 2.5GHZ (hopefully up to 2.6 with the new cooler)
X800 XT Platinum Edition
2GB Corsair XMS3200XL PRO
2 x 36.6GB Western Digital 10,000 RPM Hard Drives
Mon 18/10/04 at 01:04
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I am currently upgrading to an XP2400. Do I win?
Mon 18/10/04 at 00:51
Regular
"Bicycle"
What are the total specs?

(You don't have over 1GB of RAM, do you?!?)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.