GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zen and the art of the Video Timer"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/05/01 at 22:58
Regular
DVD’s are remarkably popular.

This is more than a little due to electrical manufacturers pushing the new technology over the older Video Cassette.

Although the British public have been slightly hesitant, their conversion to the new format is steadily growing in force.

DVD, as a movie format, has a lot going for it, the digital picture quality is fantastic, and with more and more Theatre movies being filmed using digital film, the viewing quality is set to rise.

The extras included with DVD’s range from sparse to novelty to, (more recently) almost essential. Though there are a few standard, expected extras beginning to emerge, the enhanced accompaniment they provide to a movie has a potential, which, as yet, is still largely unexplored. And although sceptics are already knocking the features as being of short-term interest, at best of interested to movie geeks alone.

I suspect these features will, as the format establishes itself, as the public begins to warm to them, grow with experience, and with companies knowledge and confidence of what to include, what to ignore and what Special Editions cant do without is established. That these feature will become indispensable.

However… for myself… the Achilles heel for DVD players is its inability to record from TV.

With videos, I’ve found it infinitely useful to go out to the pub, on a Friday night and record channel 4, BBC2, etc… Which, despite being a regular at my local franchised Video Rental shop, is the most important feature of my VCR?

It may be in the future that DVD players come with a magnetic recoding feature as standard… but I cant see this happening for a while… and even then, I’m going to have to wait for their price to drop to a suitable level, and for the price of record able DVD’s to become rational…

I could pick up a TiVo box, which comes with a selection of TV enhancing features… although unfortunately it also comes with a subscription fee (or a rather large one off payment). It also means I cant lend my mate a copy of the video, since he missed the programs as well… furthermore it means I have to watch the program in the lounge, with no options watch it in the Bedroom… unless I’m willing to move the machine upstairs

These problems also beset the DVD’s with the ability to record a few hours of TV… However, I cannot time record enough if I’m away from the house for a week or so…

Although the most practical, and most popular option at the moment is probably to have your VCR and Video stuck on top of each other… allowing you to watch pre-recorded movies on the DVD… and record from the TV on the video… Which means, essentially, I’ve doubled the cost of a function that my VCR did, up until recently, quite well…

In music, during the eighties, with the move from Cassettes to CDs as the dominant music format, the inability to copy music was only a small loss… and had DVD’s only to handle Theatre movie releases; there would be equally only a small annoyance… However it’s set in the home environment, a setting that is dominated by the TV, and which it would be better off working with than against…

Now, I know this all sounds a touch anti-DVD… which, I’m really not… honestly J…

I really do think a great new format, which the industry was in dire need of updating…

It just seems one of the most important features of the videos is being ignored, with nothing to replace it except further costs for the consumer…

As such, I really would like to know…

What is the best way forward? … What can we expect in the future?

Is the future a DVD/Video co-existance? … Recordable DVD’s? … TiVo style systems? … is there some other system enhacments on the way… Or are we just going to have to say goodbye to recording from TV?
Fri 02/10/09 at 17:14
Regular
Reggy, wat was you smoking n can i have some??
Fri 02/10/09 at 12:20
Regular
Not heard ewt Reggy but I seen a pair of legs walkin along path from clinc to sniggy, and I mean just a pair of legs no body just legs. Think it was the ghost of the tramo that got chopped in half wen the farmer was cutting his crops in the 1800's
Fri 02/10/09 at 11:36
Regular
Hi all,
Was fishing the sniggy on wednesday night and at bout 3am I was woke up by a humming sound that sounded like it has over the back of the snig. I got up to investigate and walked round to the ditch on the left, and was shocked to see flashing lights. The humming got a bit louder and then this oval shaped ufo shot of into the distance. I got back in my bivvy and zipped it up. Never moved so quick in my life. Has anyone heard of any reported sighting?
Wed 09/05/01 at 22:54
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
lol... cheers ssxpro

:)
Wed 09/05/01 at 18:05
Regular
I am finding today to be bad and boring, so I`ve decided to post here because nobody else had. It also brings this topic to the top.
Mon 07/05/01 at 22:58
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
DVD’s are remarkably popular.

This is more than a little due to electrical manufacturers pushing the new technology over the older Video Cassette.

Although the British public have been slightly hesitant, their conversion to the new format is steadily growing in force.

DVD, as a movie format, has a lot going for it, the digital picture quality is fantastic, and with more and more Theatre movies being filmed using digital film, the viewing quality is set to rise.

The extras included with DVD’s range from sparse to novelty to, (more recently) almost essential. Though there are a few standard, expected extras beginning to emerge, the enhanced accompaniment they provide to a movie has a potential, which, as yet, is still largely unexplored. And although sceptics are already knocking the features as being of short-term interest, at best of interested to movie geeks alone.

I suspect these features will, as the format establishes itself, as the public begins to warm to them, grow with experience, and with companies knowledge and confidence of what to include, what to ignore and what Special Editions cant do without is established. That these feature will become indispensable.

However… for myself… the Achilles heel for DVD players is its inability to record from TV.

With videos, I’ve found it infinitely useful to go out to the pub, on a Friday night and record channel 4, BBC2, etc… Which, despite being a regular at my local franchised Video Rental shop, is the most important feature of my VCR?

It may be in the future that DVD players come with a magnetic recoding feature as standard… but I cant see this happening for a while… and even then, I’m going to have to wait for their price to drop to a suitable level, and for the price of record able DVD’s to become rational…

I could pick up a TiVo box, which comes with a selection of TV enhancing features… although unfortunately it also comes with a subscription fee (or a rather large one off payment). It also means I cant lend my mate a copy of the video, since he missed the programs as well… furthermore it means I have to watch the program in the lounge, with no options watch it in the Bedroom… unless I’m willing to move the machine upstairs

These problems also beset the DVD’s with the ability to record a few hours of TV… However, I cannot time record enough if I’m away from the house for a week or so…

Although the most practical, and most popular option at the moment is probably to have your VCR and Video stuck on top of each other… allowing you to watch pre-recorded movies on the DVD… and record from the TV on the video… Which means, essentially, I’ve doubled the cost of a function that my VCR did, up until recently, quite well…

In music, during the eighties, with the move from Cassettes to CDs as the dominant music format, the inability to copy music was only a small loss… and had DVD’s only to handle Theatre movie releases; there would be equally only a small annoyance… However it’s set in the home environment, a setting that is dominated by the TV, and which it would be better off working with than against…

Now, I know this all sounds a touch anti-DVD… which, I’m really not… honestly J…

I really do think a great new format, which the industry was in dire need of updating…

It just seems one of the most important features of the videos is being ignored, with nothing to replace it except further costs for the consumer…

As such, I really would like to know…

What is the best way forward? … What can we expect in the future?

Is the future a DVD/Video co-existance? … Recordable DVD’s? … TiVo style systems? … is there some other system enhacments on the way… Or are we just going to have to say goodbye to recording from TV?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.