GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX digital surround sound system puzzlement"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/01/05 at 16:15
Regular
"brick in the wall"
basically i need to set up my xbox for surround sound. im prepared to spend 100-150 quid on speakers etc.

the thing is i know someone already started a thread with a similar topic but what i also need to know is how i can get the speakers to work with signal from the tv too.
ive heard that although with most set ups i'll be able to play the likes of halo 2 with full surround sound i wont get the same results from just watching television.

really not sure about this one... any ideas?

cheers.
Fri 07/01/05 at 08:31
Regular
Normal TV'S can output Surround Sound. Surround Sound is just 4 channel stereo. As far as I am aware there isn't a TV that exists that as an optical output however the 44 LCD TV I have got my eye on has a CO-AX output as well as Virtual Dolby (which is a bit sh*g to be honest). If you run your TV through your DVD player or Sky Digital box you can output optical signals for Dolby Digital and when a program doesn't support it you will get a custom mix from your AMP using all 5 speakers in stereo or if it is decent enough it will sometimes try and mix with Pro Logic for improved 5 channel stereo.
Thu 06/01/05 at 22:05
Regular
That's because normal television isn't transmitted in surround sound, so no set-up will give you proper surround sound.

Some Sky Digital progs are transmitted in Dolby Digital. Your syk box will have an optical output on the back, just plug this into the back of your decoder and that'll give you surround sound.
Thu 06/01/05 at 16:15
Regular
"brick in the wall"
basically i need to set up my xbox for surround sound. im prepared to spend 100-150 quid on speakers etc.

the thing is i know someone already started a thread with a similar topic but what i also need to know is how i can get the speakers to work with signal from the tv too.
ive heard that although with most set ups i'll be able to play the likes of halo 2 with full surround sound i wont get the same results from just watching television.

really not sure about this one... any ideas?

cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.