GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WHY WON'T MY PS1 GAMES WORK ON A PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/01/05 at 17:00
Regular
" PS1 GAMES ON A PS2"
Hi Guys, I need some advice before I make a big mistake and ditch all my PS1 games.I've just purchased a new (small) PS2 after being told I could still play my old PS1 games on it and none of them work.I just get the message "NO DATA!" or something similar anyway.I was hoping to still be able to use my Namco G-CON45 gun as well for Time crisis, Point blank as well as a few old school driving games.However I've tried all my old games from Doom to V-rally and none of the buggers work.Do the PS1 games only work on the original PS2 consoles and not the small versions? Any help you guys can offer would be great.
Thu 06/01/05 at 17:00
Regular
" PS1 GAMES ON A PS2"
Hi Guys, I need some advice before I make a big mistake and ditch all my PS1 games.I've just purchased a new (small) PS2 after being told I could still play my old PS1 games on it and none of them work.I just get the message "NO DATA!" or something similar anyway.I was hoping to still be able to use my Namco G-CON45 gun as well for Time crisis, Point blank as well as a few old school driving games.However I've tried all my old games from Doom to V-rally and none of the buggers work.Do the PS1 games only work on the original PS2 consoles and not the small versions? Any help you guys can offer would be great.
Thu 06/01/05 at 17:48
Regular
Things I don't know: Do PS1 games work on the new PS2s?

Why am I bothering to reply then? I thought it would be handy to mention (just in case) that the original PS2 plays most PS1 games fine, but there a handful of exceptions, so make sure you test more of your games first. For example, Metal Gear Solid: VR missions was one that I heard didn't work. Its a long shot, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

As for the rest of the games, if they still don't work, then perhaps if nobody else replies to this topic, you could try a few guys in the shops in town, and see if anybody else has info. You might bump into somebody who is willing to give accurate information, and you might find out for sure.

I can't imagine why PS1 playability would be sacrificed though - I wouldn't have thought it would take up much space in the new PS2s...
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:03
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Are you positive that you heard that the new slim PS2's can play PS1 games?
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:06
Regular
" PS1 GAMES ON A PS2"
Well I heard that PS2's play PS1 games so I assumed that meant all PS2's.Is that not the case then?
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:15
Regular
"The definitive tag"
QUARKSMENTOR wrote:
> Well I heard that PS2's play PS1 games so I assumed that meant all
> PS2's.Is that not the case then?

Well then if they don't play then it probably is the case. Should check with Sony though just to be sure its not a problem with the machine or your games.
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:22
Regular
"Jackpot!"
Yea, it's strange, my ps2, although it isn't the slimline one doesn't play my ff8, but my ps1 obviously does. I think they do it for you to pay out more, if it doesn't work on this new ps2.

Also I don't think the new ps2 has a fan, so wouldn't it just shut itself off when it overheats?
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:29
Regular
" PS1 GAMES ON A PS2"
Hi, I've taken your advice and used the help section from the Sony ps2 reg page that I signed upto yesterday to reg my console and claim my freebies disc.Thanks for your help so far and keep the advice coming "If it's gonna help of course!"
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:36
Regular
" PS1 GAMES ON A PS2"
THIS IS TAKEN FROM THE SONY WEB SITE.SO IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY CONSOLE...................PlayStation 2 is home to an unmatched library of games, many of which are totally exclusive titles. Groundbreaking, award-winning games series such as Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Raccoon, The Getaway, SingStar, and the ever-expanding range of EyeToy-compatible titles will never appear on anything other than a PlayStation console. Whether you're after an in-depth challenge, a quick fix of accessible, sociable fun - or anything in between - PlayStation 2 is the only choice that counts.

Additionally, if you're upgrading to PlayStation 2 from PS one, the console plays virtually all existing PlayStation (PS one) titles. Using PlayStation 2's additional power, it's also possible to enhance both the loading times and visuals of these older games.

PlayStation 2 is compatible with a startling selection of accessories that have been designed to enhance every aspect of your experience, be it innovative immersive peripherals (EyeToy), game-boosting gadgets (G-con 2, Multitap), handy time-saving devices (Memory Card, DVD Remote Control), or the extensive choice of audio-visual-enhancing cables.

Aside from being a powerful games machine, PlayStation 2 can play music CDs and also features a fully-functioning DVD player. Take time out from playing to sit back and enjoy your favourite films and TV shows, with all the benefits that the DVD format brings - superior picture and sound quality, bonus material and, for families, Parental Lock security functions.

In addition, if you're the owner of a home cinema (surround sound) system, the console features a Digital Out (Optical) connector, allowing you to reap the aural benefits offered by Dolby Digital or DTS (Digital Theatre Systems) audio
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:38
Regular
" PS1 GAMES ON A PS2"
Sorry that should have been PLAYSTATION.CO.UK web site :0)
Thu 06/01/05 at 18:43
Regular
"The definitive tag"
QUARKSMENTOR wrote:
>
>
> Additionally, if you're upgrading to PlayStation 2 from PS one, the
> console plays virtually all existing PlayStation (PS one) titles.
> Using PlayStation 2's additional power, it's also possible to enhance
> both the loading times and visuals of these older games.
>
> This doesn't mention the new slim PS2, I would imagine that it is just referring to the normal PS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.