GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Those who imported a DS.."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/01/05 at 11:21
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Presumably this applies to Import Madness customers only who used FedEx, but I hope all of you guys have a spare £30 free.

FedEx just sent me a letter and they want me to pay VAT. Bastrds. As if Import Madness haven't screwed us over enough, we now have to hold our assholes open for FedEx too.

Still, mine was for Xmas so I won't be paying.
Fri 07/01/05 at 11:21
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Presumably this applies to Import Madness customers only who used FedEx, but I hope all of you guys have a spare £30 free.

FedEx just sent me a letter and they want me to pay VAT. Bastrds. As if Import Madness haven't screwed us over enough, we now have to hold our assholes open for FedEx too.

Still, mine was for Xmas so I won't be paying.
Fri 07/01/05 at 11:29
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
£30! Thats spare change!

I imported a Panasonic Q last year and had to pay £120 import duty on the doorstep to the DHL delivery guy!!

It was worth it but I couldn't justify that amount so I sold it for £360 on ebay about 3 months later!
Fri 07/01/05 at 11:34
Regular
Bah, that's unlucky. hopefully I'll be ok, since they sent mine via OCS.

Come to think of it, I had a letter like that, demanding customs charges, from DHL a few Months back. I inadvertently ignored it and they haven't chased it up. *touches wood* I may have got away with it :D

Did Import Madness not mark the item as a $20 gift then? If they did, Fed-Ex can't prove what was in the package, therefore you can tell them to balls off - probably.
Fri 07/01/05 at 11:57
Regular
"bit of a brain"
That's what you get for importing. Luckily my DS was already in the UK so I didn't even have to pay Royal Mail Deliverry charges.
Fri 07/01/05 at 12:17
Regular
"thursdayton!"
N64 Fan wrote:
> £30! Thats spare change!

Spare change? You're obviously not a student then. Or you are and you're a rich bastrd one.

Bullett I think I'm going to go with what you did and just ignore it for the moment. I'd rather have my dad (who bought and paid for the present) not pished off at me.
Fri 07/01/05 at 12:29
Regular
Might as well try it :D

I enquired on these very Forums as to whether DHL could do this to me - people were advising me to pay it or I'll probably go to court.

I kept meaning to pay it but never got round to it - so far I haven't received any reminders or solicitor's letters.

As soon as I receive one of those, I'll know they're still onto me so I'll get it paid asap.
Fri 07/01/05 at 12:34
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Yeh, if they contact me again I guess I'll do something about it.

According to FedEx though it wouldn't count as a gift. They count gifts as something sent to a specific person, with "gift" marked on the outside costing less than $50.00 (£36) per person. So yeh as the DS was about £100 over that I see why they're asking me for cash now.

Still. They can contact me again if they really want my money (or rather, my Dad's.)
Fri 07/01/05 at 12:34
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Yeh, wait until the letter comes. They'll give you a couple of chances before taking anyhting to court.

I had no choice, the DHL waited on the doorstep until I paid up!
Fri 07/01/05 at 12:38
Regular
Tphi wrote:
> According to FedEx though it wouldn't count as a gift. They count
> gifts as something sent to a specific person, with "gift"
> marked on the outside costing less than $50.00 (£36) per
> person. So yeh as the DS was about £100 over that I see why
> they're asking me for cash now.

But, if Import Madness had labelled the package as a $20-or-whatever gift, Fed-Ex wouldn't have a leg to stand on as they're not allowed to open the packages - only Customs can do that.

I know They labelled mine as a $20 book - the biggest problem I had was that the retarded delivery man just left it sat on my doorstep! It was a good job my girlfriend had the day off!

So if they're trying to do you out of VAT alone, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Fri 07/01/05 at 18:45
Regular
 ßulle†† wrote:
> Might as well try it :D
>
> I enquired on these very Forums as to whether DHL could do this to me
> - people were advising me to pay it or I'll probably go to court.
>
> I kept meaning to pay it but never got round to it - so far I haven't
> received any reminders or solicitor's letters.
>
> As soon as I receive one of those, I'll know they're still onto me so
> I'll get it paid asap.

Legally they'll be able to charge you interest.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.