GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Finding a purpose"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/10/04 at 15:51
Regular
"SOUP!"
If I were to tell you that you’re not really reading this, that this text is merely part of your subconscious kicking in and acting as a signal to trigger your pre-meditated realisation that nothing is real, would you believe me? Would you, for a second or perhaps longer, even pause to give thought to the issue, or would you dismiss it as psychobabble nonsense? Most people are so sure they are living, but for no real reason. If your blood pumps then you’re alive, technically, but are you really living? I believe there is a distinction between existing and living – gnats exist but do they really live? Do they contribute to society, do they philosophise or revolutionise their lives, do they find a motive or cause to campaign tirelessly for, or most of all – do they love?

I think love is what sets up apart from animals, and it is a term used far too loosely. “I love quavers” a fat young gutterswallop will croon, but does he really? What is love? The Oxford English dictionary offers numerous delightful and romantic explanations of what love is, but I have my own probably clichéd view of it. If you love something, and this thing doesn’t have to be animate, you will lay your life down for its preservation. Have some examples, if a person is so devoutly religious they would rather be ploughed down by 1000 angry Romans than convert to a different religion, they truly love their religion/God/deity/whatever – if a boy needs a liver transplant else he will die and his father donates his kidney to his son and himself dies, then he truly loves him. Not to say that if your parents haven’t given you vital body parts that they do not love you, but the premise is there.

However the religion being a form of love must be more deeply questioned, as you will see, in most parishes, the majority of the congregation are elderly folks. Does this then mean that modern society has no place for religion (which could be accountable for the rise in crimes against humanity, higher suicide rates and heightened insecurity) or is it that old people, of any generation, realise they are going to die sooner rather than later and make one last attempt to save their souls after a life of sin?

So if a person’s life in impassioned by their love, are they truly happy, or consequently if a person has nothing in life worth loving are they unhappy? I quite like this theory. Suicides are much more common amongst young people, in the UK suicide is the third most common cause of death – there is a suicide committed by a young person on average every 80 minutes in the UK. Is this then because we are a generation of depressed self-destructive freaks or is it because we feel pressured to find some sort of passion in life and a lack of this drives us to thoughts of failure, self-hatred and pity and eventually surmounting in suicide. A lot of people’s reason for living is their spouse or significant other, which explains why a lot of old couples usually die at around the same time, one of them dies and the other one gives up because they have lost their reason to live. Young people haven’t yet found their reason to live but give up in much the same way.

I thought a while ago I had given up, in some respects I feel as if I still have, but I’m still here after seriously considering suicide as a viable path to take. I haven’t found a cause yet, but I have a motive, that motive is to find a cause – in whatever shape or form it comes.

I apologise for the egocentric attention seeking style post – I’m just feeling quite lonesome.
Wed 13/10/04 at 19:26
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Welcome back Paradox: - Your post has got through to me, and I badly feel the need to love someone, this is just another painful reminder. Welcome back.
Wed 13/10/04 at 17:05
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
I share the same view on life Paradox. It really does give meaning to life when you someone or something else to live far instead of just yourself and if it is true love I believe you would be willing to die for it. I've always thought that which is kind of why it's taken me a while to have a relationship over a month heh. I need to feel that love and without it I don't think it's true love and I normally sort of shy away and we break up. Thankfully I truely love my guy, I would die for him.
Wed 13/10/04 at 17:00
Regular
"0228"
Paradox: wrote:

there is a suicide committed by a young
> person on average every 80 minutes in the UK.

That often? Are you sure? Anyway, don't go adding to that total. You've got even less chance of finding a purpose in life if you're dead.
Wed 13/10/04 at 15:56
Regular
Hello, Paradox?

How are you?
Wed 13/10/04 at 15:51
Regular
"SOUP!"
If I were to tell you that you’re not really reading this, that this text is merely part of your subconscious kicking in and acting as a signal to trigger your pre-meditated realisation that nothing is real, would you believe me? Would you, for a second or perhaps longer, even pause to give thought to the issue, or would you dismiss it as psychobabble nonsense? Most people are so sure they are living, but for no real reason. If your blood pumps then you’re alive, technically, but are you really living? I believe there is a distinction between existing and living – gnats exist but do they really live? Do they contribute to society, do they philosophise or revolutionise their lives, do they find a motive or cause to campaign tirelessly for, or most of all – do they love?

I think love is what sets up apart from animals, and it is a term used far too loosely. “I love quavers” a fat young gutterswallop will croon, but does he really? What is love? The Oxford English dictionary offers numerous delightful and romantic explanations of what love is, but I have my own probably clichéd view of it. If you love something, and this thing doesn’t have to be animate, you will lay your life down for its preservation. Have some examples, if a person is so devoutly religious they would rather be ploughed down by 1000 angry Romans than convert to a different religion, they truly love their religion/God/deity/whatever – if a boy needs a liver transplant else he will die and his father donates his kidney to his son and himself dies, then he truly loves him. Not to say that if your parents haven’t given you vital body parts that they do not love you, but the premise is there.

However the religion being a form of love must be more deeply questioned, as you will see, in most parishes, the majority of the congregation are elderly folks. Does this then mean that modern society has no place for religion (which could be accountable for the rise in crimes against humanity, higher suicide rates and heightened insecurity) or is it that old people, of any generation, realise they are going to die sooner rather than later and make one last attempt to save their souls after a life of sin?

So if a person’s life in impassioned by their love, are they truly happy, or consequently if a person has nothing in life worth loving are they unhappy? I quite like this theory. Suicides are much more common amongst young people, in the UK suicide is the third most common cause of death – there is a suicide committed by a young person on average every 80 minutes in the UK. Is this then because we are a generation of depressed self-destructive freaks or is it because we feel pressured to find some sort of passion in life and a lack of this drives us to thoughts of failure, self-hatred and pity and eventually surmounting in suicide. A lot of people’s reason for living is their spouse or significant other, which explains why a lot of old couples usually die at around the same time, one of them dies and the other one gives up because they have lost their reason to live. Young people haven’t yet found their reason to live but give up in much the same way.

I thought a while ago I had given up, in some respects I feel as if I still have, but I’m still here after seriously considering suicide as a viable path to take. I haven’t found a cause yet, but I have a motive, that motive is to find a cause – in whatever shape or form it comes.

I apologise for the egocentric attention seeking style post – I’m just feeling quite lonesome.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.