GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jenas in for Beckham"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/10/04 at 11:19
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Taken from www.BBC.co.uk/football:

Jenas set for first England start

Jermaine Jenas is in line to make his first start for England as a surprise replacement for David Beckham in Baku.

Owen Hargreaves had been tipped to fill in if, as expected, Sven-Goran Eriksson persists with a 4-3-1-2 formation.

But Jenas played on the right side of a midfield three in a training match on Tuesday, with the rest of the team identical to that which beat Wales.

Eriksson's other option is to play a 4-4-2, with Ledley King at left-back and Ashley Cole moving to midfield.

That would mean Jermain Defoe stepping down and could offer Shaun Wright-Phillips the chance of a first start on the right wing.

But Eriksson has hinted he is keen to keep faith with his three-pronged strike force, which caused so much damage at Old Trafford on Saturday.

Such an attacking line-up would make it seemingly impossible to also include Wright-Phillips.

Hargreaves, who replaced Beckham late in the game on Saturday, had looked the obvious alternative.

But Jenas has emerged as favourite to step in for Beckham, who misses the game because of injury and suspension.

Jenas has seven England caps, but has never started a game for his country.

He did not travel to Euro 2004 and has not figured in any of the three previous World Cup qualifying games, but did make a substitutes appearance in the recent friendly against Ukraine.

----------

I'm sure this will come as a great surprise to just about everyone. As with mine, I'm sure you're first impression was that Shaun Wright-Phillips would be in for Beckham when we saw his suspension come alive, after impressing in a friendly only a month-or-so ago.

But, I suppose, Jenas, with a great knowledge of playing central-midfield, would be best-suited to a three-man line-up if Eriksson is to stick with the three-upfront line-up again tonight.

I mean, as England fans, we've said this many, many times before, but it is "only Azerbaijan". A time to try new things. A team that should pose no possible threat to us what-so-ever.

...And yet, that's something very unlike Sven-Goran Eriksson?

We'll all see how it happens this evening anyhow.

Will Eriksson's latest gamble pay-off for our country?
Is Michael Owen still the right-man to play vice captain to David Beckham?
If he's willing to experiment in the midfield, why can't he do more elsewhere - by giving Joe Cole and others a chance, for example?
Sat 16/10/04 at 19:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yes. Like the commentator's said, Alan Smith gave us that extra balance in the attack that little Jermain Defoe simply could not provide.

With Smuth in the side, Rooney had the chance to roam further forward, as his fellow United team-mate could sit behind him and cover his tracks.

He's also better at controlling the ball and holding it (in an un-selfish way!) - although, I must admit, he appears to have done it far better for United and Leeds than for England in the last few fixtures since his revival.
Thu 14/10/04 at 21:16
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
I am confident I could have buried that ball, and I'm shocking in the air.
Thu 14/10/04 at 21:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
If you're going to take anyone out the squad take out Jermaine 'going to be living on that one goal forever' Defoe. He hasn't done squat in the last two games
Thu 14/10/04 at 21:15
Regular
"I like cheese"
Rofl. Yes, indeed it was 'the easiest' of headers.
Thu 14/10/04 at 21:12
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
No, he shouldn't.

He scored the easiest of headers.
Thu 14/10/04 at 21:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
Right. Now all you haters can jump on the Michael Owen bandwagon again.

So Lil Bro, do you still think Owen shouldn't play?

I think Sven had it right when he took Defoe off to be honest, I'd rather have Smith playing.
Wed 13/10/04 at 19:29
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Meh. Nice work though.
Wed 13/10/04 at 19:29
Regular
Scope wrote:
> Awful game.. boring THANK GOD there's a winter break.

As insightful as ever Scope.

I'm just waiting for Lil Bro to do his usual 'sack Sven because we always win' rant.
Wed 13/10/04 at 19:28
Regular
I must say that it was an outstanding dive in the last few minutes. Anyone see any reason as to why the 2nd goal was disallowed?
Wed 13/10/04 at 19:28
Regular
Georgey5 wrote:
> because butt is an attacking midfeilder isnt he

I was going on the theory that WP Or Cole would replace Butt (as some have suggested), funnily enough......

It's midfielder sweetheart.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.