GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CPU Fan noise"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/10/04 at 16:16
Regular
Okak, heres the problem, my cpu fan starts making a loud vibrating noise every 5 minutes for about a minute and this continues for the whole time it is on. It also makes this noise for about 5 minutes when i switch the machine on.

So i guess i need a new one. Its a 60mm akasa, are these all standard fit with any 60mm fan fitting straight onto the heatsink?

thanks for any help.
Thu 14/10/04 at 13:09
Regular
hah, my graphics card fan is making loud noises too!

Just tapped it with a pen and seems to have shut up now.

joker of a PC i tell ya...
Tue 12/10/04 at 00:20
"I love yo... lamp."
With it being a few years old then it could well be the fan beginning to go. I've had that happen before after a few years. Often they say 50,000 hour lifespan. That's like 6 years non stop. Of course that's an average - I've had some last ten years, others a couple of months.

A new fan will obviously cure it.
Mon 11/10/04 at 21:07
Regular
i aint that bothered about a fast cpu or cutting edge graphics.

What i got at the moment is overkill really, as i only play championship manager on it. And even thats taken a back seat until summer as i really need to get a 2:1 in my degree!
Mon 11/10/04 at 17:31
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
NOOO Laptops are evil, buy or build your self a desktop PC or fear the consequences, Intel Extreme Graphics!!. Why don’t you try over clocking your CPU now your new fan and H/S should let you over clock it quite a bit.
Mon 11/10/04 at 17:26
Regular
hah, its 4 years old(whole system) Kept my last PC for about 5 years before getting a new one so might buy a laptop soon.

cooling a amd 1800xp

Yeh, it was full of dust so i gave it a good hovering on full blast which didnt seem to change a thing. Could it be that the ball bearing has gone?

Now the power supply doesnt want to shut up either!

I've ordered an 80mm fan and a 60 to 80 adapter which should hopefully sort it out as bigger fans equal more wind with less noise aye
Mon 11/10/04 at 16:47
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Have you checked it for dust?
Mon 11/10/04 at 14:11
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Is the CPU fan and heatsink brand new?
Also any cabling near the Heatsink fan?
Sun 10/10/04 at 18:10
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
or†ega wrote:
> oh okay, are heatsinks easy to take on and off? I never done it before
> ya see.

Depends, sometimes getting the metal lugs off is a right pain in the anus.
Sun 10/10/04 at 16:36
Regular
oh okay, are heatsinks easy to take on and off? I never done it before ya see.
Sun 10/10/04 at 16:24
Regular
Just buy a new fan and heatsink combo. You wont save an awful lot messing about replacing the fan.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.