GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SCSI - IDE - whats the diffrence?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/10/04 at 11:51
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Well I want a fast hard drive so that I can transfer all my settings to it and later make this hdd hold just my mostly used programs, so that everything runs faster, but i noticed the only 10'000 rpm hdd are SCSI, and i have an IDE drive at the moment, now is it possible to make that work even though SCSI has 68 pins or something compared to IDE's 28, well I think thats what the figures are, or is it worth just getting a good 7200rpm IDE and not bothering?

Thanks Bessant.
Sun 10/10/04 at 13:35
"I love yo... lamp."
SCSI has much higher data transfer rates, and because of this a lot of top end disks use it. SCSI will be found in servers etc. IDE on the other hand is fine for the average desktop PC, and is cheaper to make. You do however get some fast IDE drives. But really, if you have it, look at SATA. The Western Digital Raptor HDDs are very fast and you would notice a difference in performance.

But bear in mind that a fast drive will set you back a fair bit. I have a 7,200 rpm drive with an 8 MB cache, and it is plenty fast enough for me.
Sun 10/10/04 at 11:51
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Well I want a fast hard drive so that I can transfer all my settings to it and later make this hdd hold just my mostly used programs, so that everything runs faster, but i noticed the only 10'000 rpm hdd are SCSI, and i have an IDE drive at the moment, now is it possible to make that work even though SCSI has 68 pins or something compared to IDE's 28, well I think thats what the figures are, or is it worth just getting a good 7200rpm IDE and not bothering?

Thanks Bessant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.