GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NDS- Advantages over troubled PSP..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/01/05 at 13:41
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Regarded by many as Sony's answer to total control of the Video Game industry- EA Style- the PSP has many of it's fair share of faults when it comes up against the Nintendo DS.
Many So-Called fanboys in both camps- Nintendo and Sony- denounce any sort of bad comment against their system. But in reality, this time, Nintendo hasn't much going against it for once. It's new DS system seems to be generating quite a bit of interest and favour-and because of this quite a bit of childish backlash from the Sony Fanboys.

Well here is a different perspective, here hopefully in this post I can show quite a bit of what the PSP really is about, a great machine as it is- like the Game Gear- needs all the support it can get to survive, but it's state is being known. Problems such as 'Dead Pixels' have pushed it ahead (despite it's fewer numbers) of the NDS in terms of it's Dead Pixel problem.
IGN-PSP (psp.ign.com)have even reported- "Dust or air bubbles in between the screen and the protective layer, Non-responsive analog nubs, Broken analog nubs where the nub has completely snapped off, Failing or stuck buttons, UMD slot not closing,System failing to start up
Game lock-ups and other performance glitches

But that is not all, PSP UMD Discs actually 'Shooting Out' of the system have been reported, look at this video for instance: [URL]http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cf6y-oot/umd/fly_004.avi[/URL]

And then there is the 90 Minute battery problems, coupled with the finish of the system itself. It might sound like moaning, but I have read about the NDS being unfairly treated on this very forum and thought, hey what the hell the PSP has generated more problems than the DS could dream.

The following is an editorial from Nintendo-Now, taken from [URL]www.nintendonow.com[/URL] I don''t want to be accused of spamming here, I just thought it was a worthwhile read and relevant to everything else posted. Plus, no I am not trying to boost a word count, I've no need to..
For all you silly fanboy's, read....

Shocking Truth and Controversial Facts: PSP vs Nintendo DS: A Reality Check

Although I don't want to start another fanboy system war, I feel there are many things that need to be said.

Certain people in the press would have you believe that the PSP is the best thing since “sliced bread.” And yet at the same time, they conveniently ignore the PSP’s MANY shortcomings.

So without further delay here's my PSP reality check, dedicated to all of those who do not yet know the truth:

1. "When will the Disc Read Errors Begin?"
We all know the truth about Sony's consoles. If you don't, you have been living in a cave. DRE's or "Disc Read Errors" have become synonymous with Sony's poorly built machines. Some people even think they design their systems like this ON PURPOSE. And I am one of them. It's an idea called "Planned Obscelescence" and it's something automobile manufacturers have been doing for years.

Here's a quote from a controversial interview given by Shinji Mikami. Mikami worked with Sony for almost a decade before he finally had the courage to speak out:

Quote:
"Shinji Mikami, producer of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, strongly criticized Sony and Square in a recent radio interview in Japan. Mikami accused Sony of purposely designing their consoles to break easily so that gamers will have to buy a replacement. He also said that Sony's high sales figures are helped by the fact that many gamers, himself included, have had to buy a second PlayStation and PlayStation 2."

From there, Mikami went on to accuse Sony of doing the same thing with their line of PCs, Walkmans, and cell phones. He asked why no one has complained about this and said that it was almost like cheating and committing a crime. The radio DJ tried to interrupt Mikami and shift the conversation to another topic, but when Mikami was asked if he thought Sony's customers are foolish, he replied, "Yes."

Ouch!

He isn't the only one who sees the truth here. Sony has already been SUED SUCCESSFULLY, several times, over issues relating to their shoddy products.

Here's a link to a Law Firm that has challenged Sony over their defective products. In July of 2002, the law firm of Sheller, Ludwig & Badey filled a “Class Action Lawsuit” against Sony over defects in the Playstation 2 video game console. Essentially a "Class Action Lawsuit" means that you have a LARGE CLASS/GROUP of people to represent.

Sheller, Ludwig & Badey is a legal practice that specializes in consumer defense. They have gone after many corporate giants in the past on such varied topics such as Consumer Fraud and Defective Products.

http://www.sheller.com/Practice.asp?PracticeID=109

Here’s a quote from the site:

Quote:
"The Complaint alleges that Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc., marketed and promoted the PlayStation 2 unit-which was designed to function both as a game system and a DVD movie player-as a reliable and adequate DVD player when, in fact, the DVD player component suffers from a number of defects that prevents it from playing a wide-variety of DVD movies. The class action also contends that Sony concealed the DVD playback defects from purchasers and required those who reported the problem to pay $120 to have their defective units repaired or replaced. The Complaint also charges that in spite of receiving these complaints, Sony has failed to warn new or existing purchasers about the defective DVD component."

$120 to fix something that SHOULD work correctly in the first place?! You’ve go to be kidding me.

Here's a link to the Department of Consumer Affairs, the United States' main consumer advocacy group. They too have dealt with Sony's shoddy products.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news03/playstation.html

The United States Department of Consumer Affairs is the most powerful group of its kind. Here’s some interesting quotes from this article:

Quote:
"My son bought a Sony Playstation 2 in September. By Christmas, it stopped working with a Disc Error, cannot read disc."

Gee, that one sounds familiar. Here’s another:

Quote:
“Consumers have been complaining for more than a year that Sony's Playstation 2 video game machine stops reading DVDs and certain types of games, often when the unit is just a few months old."

Why does this not surprise me?

Finally, here is a link to a “Buyer Beware” horror story. It’s one of literally hundreds that I have collected. I

Part One:

http://www.winternet.com/~mr_n64/updates/jan01/011601.html

Part Two:

http://www.winternet.com/~mr_n64/updates/jan01/011601.html

Here’s an interesting quote from this gentleman’s unfortunate experiences:

Quote:
“I paid $16.80 to ship it insured to Sony's service center to be repaired under warranty service. My PS2 returned about a week later, scratched and completely non-functional. The drive door was stuck and would not move.”

So not only did he have a defective PS2, but when he sent the machine in for repairs, it came back NOT WORKING AT ALL!
In the end, it's not a question of "IF" the PSP will see DRE's or Disc Read Errors, but rather a question of WHEN it will happen because, in my opinion, it almost certainly will, probably just after your warranty expires.

2. "90 Minute Battery Life/Overheating?"

Quote:
Gamespot brings us word that two industry watchers, PJ McNealy and Piper Jaffray & Co, are predicting a delay for the launch of the PSP. They cite numerous reasons including Sony's propensity for missing hardware launch dates. They take it further, however, and point out the more serious problems that they are having with the PSP including battery life (90 minutes) and heat.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/04/news_6109524.html

Just in case you don't know, PJ McNealy (from American Technology Research) and Piper Jaffray & Co are two of the most respected and well known Analyst Firms of their type. Their reputation rides on the truth of their information. However, these two industry analysts aren't the only ones who have raised serious concerns about the PSP battery life and how it WILL effect games.

Now, people have tried to counter this article by saying "That's old news." However, this piece was written only a few weeks ago. The 90 Minute Battery life was discovered by several writers observing the event (TGS). Here’s a link to a new article that raises some of the same concerns.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5251

Here's some interesting comments made by Sony’s own Ken Kutaragi. His comments in this piece are quite telling to say the least.

Quote:
“A puzzle game will last longer, but Ridge Racer will probably be shorter than that," he told the site, referring to the battery life statistics released by SCE last week - which claimed four to six hours of battery while playing games.

"The figures quoted by SCE rely on playing with headphones, without using the wireless multiplayer capabilities of the device, and with screen brightness set in a specific range - leading to widespread speculation that using the full power of the system will bring the battery life down closer to the originally rumored two hour level."

Kutaragi's comments seem to confirm that games which use the features of the console more intensively will drain the battery life faster, and are backed up by the firm's efforts to restrict developers from using features such as data streaming from disc (as used in a large number of PS2 titles) due to their "high power consumption."

"The implication is clear, however, and Kutaragi's comments will undoubtedly be taken as a tacit admission that there is a problem with the PSP's battery life - and that the firm may be hoping to fix this in a later revision of the hardware."

Later Versions? Two Hour Battery life? It seems like we keep hearing the same thing over and over again. There is a term in the legal practice called “A Preponderance of Evidence.” This means that if the evidence is overwhelming then it must be true.

Well, are the overheating and the battery life complaints legitimate? I’ll let you, the readers decide.

3. "Battery Life Problems Limit Gameplay" or "The Real Reason Metal Gear Acid is Turn-Based."

Another interesting quote from the Kutaragi Article states that: "Developers will find ways to optimize their games to use the battery life more efficiently."

What does that mean? To be honest, the statement seems a bit "fishy." Well the story below may reveal why I feel this way.
It all starts with the story of Metal Gear AC!D.

At first the series creator, Hideo Kojima stated that, "The current architecture of the PSP is not suitable for a proper Metal Gear title." What does he mean by this? Well, this statement is VERY telling and it reveals a controversy that most people are unaware of. Essentially when he says "Architecture" he means the systems design and it's problems with battery life.You see a PROPER Metal Gear title requires TONS of data streaming. Data streaming requires constant disc access. Disc access DRAINS battery life BIG TIME, remember this quote?

Quote:
"Kutaragi's comments seem to confirm that games which use the features of the console more intensively will drain the battery life faster, and are backed up by the firm's efforts to restrict developers from using features such as data streaming from disc (as used in a large number of PS2 titles) due to their high power consumption."

Another quote from a different article:

http://playstation3.weblogsinc.com/entry/5067531420796275/

"Looks like Sony is trying to make certain games built for the PSP don’t tax the somewhat-limited potential of the battery system designed for the portable unit."

"Draft guidelines sent to developers, which will eventually evolve into the technical requirements checklist (TRC) for the system, are alleged to include a demand that games should not exceed a certain level of power consumption."

Seeing there was a problem, Sony decided to ask it's 3rd party developers to design their games in a way "best suited for the PSP," meaning to me, “make your games use as little battery life as possible.”

Later on however, once Sony's public relations department got a hold of him, Hideo Kojima changed his tune and offered this LAME excuse as to why his new Metal Gear Title was turn based:
(Speaking to Computer and Video Games)

computerandvideogames.com

"EXCLUSIVE: KOJIMA - CLASSIC METAL GEAR 'NOT SUITABLE' FOR PSP' "

Quote:
"When asked about the strategic direction of his first PSP game, Metal Gear Acid, Kojima admitted "Metal Gear Solid the series is about stealth-action, and it requires very delicate, very fine button controls, button input. If you make a little mistake with the button input, you might be spotted by the enemy."

Quote:
"A handheld system is just not suitable for that kind of fine input, and when I discussed it with the team, we reached the conclusion of coming up with a game that has the Metal Gear Solid look, the feel, the flavor, but something that's not action-based because of the buttons and controls. That's why we've come up with something with more strategic elements."

Gee, that's funny, they made an EXCELLENT Metal Gear game for the 8-Bit GameBoy Color. Something sounds fishy here.

Here's more:

Quote:
"This news will likely cause disappointment amongst Snake fans clamoring for a true version of Metal Gear for PSP, and also raises concerns over the complexity of titles we can expect from PSP in the future, despite the obvious power of the hardware."

After reading this, you have to ask yourself, as good as MGA might turn out to be, what would fans want MORE? A "traditional" Metal Gear Game or this "turn-based" garbage?

What would SELL more? A "traditional" Metal Gear Game or this "turn based title"?

I think the answer is obvious to us all.

So there you have it, the REAL story behind the "Turn Based" Metal Gear game. It makes me wonder, what other games might be affected by these battery life issues?

Could it be that the "Final Fantasy" franchise might be the next game to feel the pinch of the PSP’s poor design?

Recently, a new Final Fantasy game for the PSP was announced. Final Fantasy VII: CORE CRISIS is being billed as an "Action RPG." The key word here is "action," meaning no drawn out cut scenes and none of the other "bells and whistles" that modern day Final Fantasy fans have come to expect from the franchise.

Although it’s too early to tell if FF: Core Crisis is another victim of the PSP’s shortcomings, you have to ask yourself the same questions that we stated earlier concerning Metal Gear AC!D. What do fans want more? A traditional Final Fantasy game with all the cut scenes and beautiful FMV, or an "action title?"

We all know that the GCN’s own Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles sold fairly well, but no where nearly as well as Final Fantasy X-2, a more traditional entry for the series.

4. "Price: It Still Matters"

As it stands now the PSP is estimated to cost around $199 US. However, what about accessories and games? We all know that the average gamer will buy at least ONE game and the needed "Memory Stick."

Well, the "Value Pack Bundle" that includes Earphones, Carry Case and the Memory Stick will cost an estimated $249 US.
However, you still need at least one game, bringing your PSP launch day budget closer to $300. Either way, you'll also probably need a Screen Cover (if you buy the basic system) and an extra PSP Battery Pack, in case you plan on traveling, adding even more cost to your initial investment. The PSP Battery Pack will cost an estimated $44 (4800 Yen = around $45 and it is NOT included in the "Value Pack Bundle.")

When IGN.COM reported the price list for the PSP and it’s accessories, they deliberately left all of the prices for the system accessories in YEN, probably because they didn’t want the public to know that Sony was going to sell a battery for almost $50! They even went so far as to LIE about the battery saying that “the battery's user-removable, and cheap."

http://psp.ign.com/articles/560/560947p1.html

Wow, $50(!) for a battery pack? That’s not "cheap." That's like saying "Bend Over Consumer!!!"

Meanwhile, you can buy a Gameboy SP for $79 and a Nintendo DS for $149. Now, if you buy a game with your DS you still are below the $200 range, and as many have already predicted, the DS will see a price drop just around the time the PSP launches in the States. If Nintendo is really smart, they may even include a pack-in game, other than the MPH demo, that is. In my opinion, this would really give the consumers the VALUE they deserve.

5. "The Truth about PSP , Mp3s, and Movies"

Many people still erroneously believe that the PSP will up seat the iPod as the new MP3 player of choice. (What a laugh)!
However, the reality is this. You need to store MP3's on a Memory Stick (sold separately). The Memory Stick that is planned for release with the system is nowhere near large enough to hold a decent amount of songs. And of course, it’s only compatible with the PSP. So if you already have a memory stick, you won’t be able to use it with your PSP.

Also, since the memory stick doubles as a “memory card,” gamers will have to store their music on the same device they store their game saves on, so anyone planning to use their PSP as an MP3 player will probably have to invest EVEN MORE MONEY on an extra memory stick if they want to hold a decent amount of songs. Again, a mere 128 megs is not a lot of space when it comes to MP3’s.

There have even been rumors that state that the audio quality of MP3’s on the PSP is "inferior" to those found on other MP3 players. Only time will tell if that’s true, but just considering that the average memory stick has only a tiny fraction of the storage space offered by a real MP3 player, audiophiles will probably have to make certain "sacrifices" if they want to store a decent amount of music - "Sacrifices" that could include cutting the bit rate on your mp3’s, which we all know reduces their quality.

But what about movies you say? Well as we all know, watching a movie on the PSP cuts its battery life to around two hours. What if your movie is longer than two hours? Well, tough luck. What if you want to play games AND watch a movie? Well again, tough luck. And would any sane person hold a handheld at arms length for two hours just to watch a film on a tiny screen? I wouldn’t even think about it.

6. "Analysts Predict DOOM for PSP"

That's right I said PSP and NOT Nintendo DS. It doesn't matter what some fanboy thinks, here are the opinions of the people who matter. The one's whose decisions affect vast financial empires. They know the truth, and they aren't afraid to tell it.

Quote:
"ANALYSTS DECLARE 'NO REASON' TO BUY SONY PSP
New Nintendo console analysts' choice
By TAIGA URANAKA
Staff writer

The PlayStation Portable is the talk of the town after basking in the limelight at a recent game show. But despite all the hoopla, Sony Computer Entertainment Co.'s soon-to-debut portable game console is unlikely to loosen Nintendo Co.'s grip on the global market, according to game industry analysts. They say there is no compelling reason for gamers to buy the PSP. Its rival, the Nintendo DS, they say, offers eye-opening novelty.

Nintendo's new handheld console, which features a dual touch-sensitive screen, will go on sale in the US on Nov. 21 at $149.99 and on Dec. 2 in Japan for 15,000 yen. Sony has not announced the price or release date for the PSP. Analysts expect it to cost between 25,000 yen and 30,000 yen, putting it at disadvantage against the Nintendo DS.

Analysts say that while the PSP has razor-sharp screen resolution and stylish design, it is no match for the Nintendo DS in terms of uniqueness. It fails as an attractive game console, they say.

"With a dual touch-sensitive screen, voice recognition and wireless communication, the Nintendo DS has a load of new features," said Eiji Maeda, game analyst at Daiwa Institute of Research Ltd.

Nintendo says such features will allow users to experience new kinds of games and, more importantly, play intuitively, meaning they can forget about using a complicated control pad and use a stylus pen and their voice instead.

"Our intention was that anyone, regardless of age, gender or game experience, should be able to stand on the same starting line and enjoy playing games," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told a media preview in Tokyo earlier this week. "The single-minded pursuit by the game industry for ever-more complicated and time-consuming games will only serve to alienate potential users," he said.

The Computer Entertainment Suppliers' Association estimates that the combined domestic market for video-game consoles and software came to 446.2 billion yen in 2003. The market for hardware fell 17 percent year-on-year, while for software, it declined by 8.2 percent during the same period.

During the media preview, Nintendo unveiled some of its new game titles, including one in which players can raise virtual puppies. The dogs respond to voice commands and can be "tickled" by brushing the screen with the tip of a stylus pen. In another game, a player can snuff virtual candles by blowing on the console screen, the sound of which is picked up by the console's built-in microphone.

Daiwa's Maeda said that while PSP's game lineup also includes popular titles, many are already available on the PlayStation 2.

"Popular titles do not necessarily make killer titles, by which I mean games that users can only play with that particular console," he said.

And Nintendo has still other advantages.

Takashi Oka of UFJ Tsubasa Securities Co. said the Nintendo DS' backward compatibility allows users to play games created for the Game Boy Advance, which has 500 game titles in Japan.

"It is reassuring for users to know that they can also play existing games," he said.

Even worse for PSP, industry watchers suspect that Sony might have to delay its launch, which the firm has said would happen by the year's end in Japan, because game software makers cannot meet the deadline.

"I think it would be better for Sony to delay the PSP's launch to avoid direct competition with the Nintendo DS, even if it means missing the holiday shopping season here," Masaru Onishi of JP Morgan Securities Asia said. "Instead of releasing (the console) with a weak game title lineup, it should wait until next year to get fully prepared."

(The Japan Times: Oct. 9, 2004)

7. "Square-Enix and their strong support for the Nintendo DS"

As we already know, the PSP will receive one Final Fantasy game, and the Final Fantasy Movie entitled “Advent Children.” But who is really getting the "lion’s share" of support when it comes to the biggest RPG company in the world?

Well, a recent poll held in Japan hints that Square-Enix may finally be returning to its roots. This poll asked gamers which classic Square-Enix title gamers would like to see released on the DS. Among the choices were:

Final Fantasy 3 (Already Confirmed)
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
The Sa-Ga Series
Front Mission
Chrono Trigger
Legend/Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu) (Already Confirmed)
Hanjuku Heroes

Add these games to the already confirmed titles listed below:

EGG Monster Heroes
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Dragon Quest Monsters
"A New Secret of Mana"
"A New Story of Slime Morimori Dragon Quest"

And don’t forget that Square-Enix also plans to bring Final Fantasy 1+2 and a new Kingdom Hearts game to the GBA. After reading this impressive list of titles, it’s not hard to see which company Square-Enix thinks will rule the handheld kingdom. You may ask yourself, "Why does this matter?" Well, like them or not, Square-Enix titles MOVE SYSTEMS--especially overseas. Their support will be vital.

And who knows, maybe the rumors about them being "unhappy with Sony" are true?

8. That HORRIBLE Analog Disc: The Achilles heel of the PSP?

Well to be perfectly honest, the PSP’s miserable battery life is its true "Achilles heel" but if I had to pick one other flaw that truly stood out in my mind, it would be the PSP’s "Analog Disc." You know how some Nintendo DS haters are fond of pointing out that the DS has no analog stick? Well, neither does the PSP! It’s has what is instead called the “Analog Disc.”

This little monstrosity is located just below the D-Pad on the face of the PSP. The way it works is that the disc "slides" over the surface of the machine itself, rather than tilting in one direction or another. To me, this is a terrible way to design an "input device." Yet the REAL problem is the cramped way in which gamers must hold the machine while using the PSP’s analog disc. You won’t believe how bad it is until you try it for yourself. Essentially, you have to contort your thumb in such a way that even the smallest amount of game play is bound to cause severe hand cramping.

It almost seems to me that this "Analog Disc" is nothing more than a poorly designed after-thought.

9. Fighting on Two Fronts: The Power of GBA and Nintendo DS Combined

From a historical standpoint, fighting a war on two fronts has ALWAYS been a bad idea. Forget for a moment that Sony is already battling Nintendo and Microsoft for console supremacy, for when the PSP enters the market it will be fighting against not one, but TWO separate, Million-Selling handheld game systems. Of course I’m talking about the Nintendo DS and the GBA/SP. Nintendo’s tried and true handheld dynamo has yet to disappoint fans with it’s massively robust game library and it’s incredibly cheap price. And to think, some of the GBA’s BEST GAMES are still on the way. Games like "Zelda the Minnish Cap," "Final Fantasy 1+2," "Kingdom Hearts" and many, many more. Over 25 Million gamers already own the GBA. The GameBoy brand currently ranks as the most popular game system in the history of mankind. Some estimates even state that Nintendo sells several GBA units EVERY MINUTE, with no signs of slowing down.

With a recent price drop and a strong library of games, the GBA is bound to have one AMAZING Holiday season, even with the Nintendo DS looming on the horizon.

But what about the Nintendo DS you say? Well, recently it was reported that Nintendo DS pre-orders have topped TWO MILLION in Japan alone. That’s one amazing number. As for the rest of the World, Nintendo expects to sell over 4 Million Nintendo DS systems by March 05 alone!

This will give the Nintendo DS a serious head start in the console war by the time the PSP launches, just like the head start Sony had with the PS2 in the console war. And if the rumors are true and the PSP is delayed until next fall, this will only widen the lead for the Nintendo DS. Either way, it will be an uphill battle for Sony, while it tries desperately to compete with these two powerhouse systems.

A quote from an article concerning PSP Delays:

"Sony's PSP is at "high risk" of a substantial delay--into next year for Japan, and perhaps all the way to November 2005 for the US market. That's the word from two separate memos sent on consecutive business days from noted industry analysts."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/04/news_6109524.html

10. Sizing up the Competition: A History Lesson of Other Losers in the Handheld Wars

You may or may not know that Nintendo has already defeated nine, count them NINE, serious competitors when it comes to defending it’s handheld kingdom. Now many in the press will tell you that, “Sony is the first REAL competition this company has ever faced.” Well, those people are lying. When Sega released the Game Gear, they held the top spot in the console war of the time (of course later, SNES would win the day). When NEC released their "PC Engine/Turbo Grafx Express" system, it boasted the unique ability to play CONSOLE games on a handheld platform. Sound familiar? The Sega Nomad, another failed portable, also boasted this "impressive" ability, and yet it too failed.

Miserably.

Finally when Bandai decided to release their own handheld, they turned to former Nintendo's Great and Genius designer Gunpei Yokoi to help them design their clever little handheld. And in the end, even the brilliance of Yokoi-san, the father of the Gameboy, could not up seat the power of the GameBoy brand.

What did all these handhelds have in common, I mean other than getting their asses kicked by Nintendo?

Well, first, they all had better and sometimes bigger screens. They all had more "bells and whistles" including the ability to watch TV shows and other useless, non-gaming applications.

Many of them had poor battery life, especially the TG Express, Atari Lynx, the Sega Nomad and Game Gear Systems. (Again, sound familiar)?

And in the end, they were all destroyed. Something tells me the PSP is next on the hit list.

11. " 'PSP: The Portable You Play at Home?' or 'PSP: Don’t Leave Home WITH It.' PSP Design Issues”

Now, this part is just my opinion and I want to make that clear before I begin. However, many of you might agree with the points I am going to bring up. First, every time I see the PSP I can’t help but think how cheap and flimsy it looks. Like the entire machine is constructed from light weight plastics. This machine hardly looks durable and since we all know about Sony’s reputation for making shoddy products, it makes me wonder, will anyone WANT to leave home with their PSP?

I mean, that’s the purpose of a portable gaming device, gaming on the go. Yet, every time I look at the PSP, I cant help but think how easily it could break. How the "open face" design of the machine will leave it susceptible to serious damage. How putting this already large system in a carry case would only increase it’s size and decrease it’s portability.

I also wonder why the put the D-Pad and the Buttons so close to the screen. There will be many a thumb print griming up that 16x9 screen. And something tells me, replacing that screen WON’T be cheap.

(In contrast, replacing a GBA screen costs around $2 and you can do it yourself).

And then there are the nagging battery life issues. What is a gamer supposed to do? Carry an extra $50 battery pack around, just in case they want to play games after they watch a movie? The whole concept seems ridiculous to me. A portable is about rough and ready, PORTABLE gaming. Not sitting at home while your handheld is plugged into a wall. There is NO WAY the PSP could ever survive the brutal world of the average portable gamer.

PSP, don’t leave home WITH it.

12. In Conclusion

Well, I wanted to write so much more in this article, but unfortunately, I am in excruciating pain while I wait to pass my THIRD kidney stone. Let me tell you, they are NO fun. And the painkillers they gave me are making me see things!

But seriously for a moment, the reason I wrote this article is not because I’m some fanboy who just wants to see Sony fail. I’m no hypocrite; I have purchased Sony products in the past. However, this is one product where I truly feel consumers are being handed a RAW DEAL.

Consumers are getting a poorly designed machine that is being rushed to market. The only reason it even exists is to further Sony’s plans of “World Domination.” Sony could care less about the average gamer or their needs. Look at the way the PS2 has only two controller ports, while EVERY OTHER modern system has FOUR. This is just a small example of how they love to stack the cards in favor of their corporate machine.

And you the consumer pay the price.

Since the mainstream press is either too afraid, or too corrupt to tell the truth, I felt the responsibility fell upon my shoulders. Sony is leading the gaming world down a path of mediocrity. I for one will not follow this goose-stepping march into oblivion. I will not pay close to $300 to play a bunch of PSone Greatest Hits titles from a series of dead franchises (like Twisted Metal, etc).

I want the system that brings me new experiences and new ideas. I want a breath of fresh air. In my opinion, Nintendo DS is not only the BETTER system for the gamer, it’s better for the industry as well. It’s unique design and features will challenge even the most creative of game designers.

And in the end, we the consumer end up benefiting from this REVOLUTION the most.

Thanks for reading friends. Remember, YOU the consumer are the REAL power in this industry.

A bit of a read I know and an informing one, apologies as it does go on a bit. But it does answer many things and does put a lot into perspective.
The Nintendo DS is near 3 Million consoles sold already and that is not counting the biggest market of all- Europe, a market it has yet to release in. Can the PSP ever compete with the DS, or even the mighty Gameboy Advance?
And people forget that the DS is Nintendo's so called third pillar, the Gameboy Advance's successor GBA2 is supposedly being worked on. Will it ever end?
Wed 26/01/05 at 22:43
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> The implication being, the graphics some how are not as good later
> on, or not as good as they first appear.

Uh uh!
It just means that once you get used to playing on it, the fact that the graphics are good means squit! I mean, it means something, but it's one of the things you're focusing on least.

What am I doing...
I am reasoning with some disguise troll, making myself look like a complete numpty.

I should SO be following the Tiltawirl example. :-)
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:46
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Macintosh wrote:
> I guess I would take a slightly different route. While I do think PSP
> will be the market leader in the handheld console world in a few
> short years, DS will have it's (smaller) user base. Now if you want
> to buy a DS, thats fine. But you see, it's all about choice. And
> having 2 handhelds out there might be a good thing.

Thing is Nintendo will be releasing another handheld alongside DS, they have already said it. And the new handheld will be the successor to the Gameboy. So it will be a three system thing, much like it's going to be for a bit with the GBA, DS and PSP in march until the arrival of the so called 'Gameboy Evolution''.

Macintosh wrote:
The only "real problem" for DS will be if the PSP
> starts to get too much of a lead, and develpers start to turn their
> backs on DS. It will just be Nintendo's in house games then. Could
> Nintendo justify keeping their handheld system going?

The DS will be treated and 'is' treated by developers as something different and original. Therfore justifying it being in a market on its own, even if PSP overtakes it in sales.
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:45
Regular
"and PC user"
Gollum wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
>
> Well, I dont take too much notice of reviews of anything that rely
> on
> how someone "feels" about the product. I have to say, that
> if the PSP graphics are below PS2 standard, then the DS graphics are
> even further below that standard - the review even admits the DS is
> not quite as good. I cant understand how at the start you say the
> graphics are swish, then within the hour you claim they are just
> ordinary. You must have very quickly changed your mind. Its like
> having a brand new PC or G5 Mac, after using a really old PC or Mac,
> being blown away by the speed increase, then 30mins later saying its
> not really that fast afterall. When people say things like that, its
> almost like they are "de-tuning" an otherwise good review
> so it doesnt sound so good to other readers.
>
> I mentioned that the graphics are swish at the start then the novelty
> wears off after playing, as the PSP certainly does grab you at the
> very instant when you first play it, theres no doubt.

The implication being, the graphics some how are not as good later on, or not as good as they first appear.
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:40
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Macintosh wrote:

> > Well, I dont take too much notice of reviews of anything that rely on
> how someone "feels" about the product. I have to say, that
> if the PSP graphics are below PS2 standard, then the DS graphics are
> even further below that standard - the review even admits the DS is
> not quite as good. I cant understand how at the start you say the
> graphics are swish, then within the hour you claim they are just
> ordinary. You must have very quickly changed your mind. Its like
> having a brand new PC or G5 Mac, after using a really old PC or Mac,
> being blown away by the speed increase, then 30mins later saying its
> not really that fast afterall. When people say things like that, its
> almost like they are "de-tuning" an otherwise good review
> so it doesnt sound so good to other readers.

I mentioned that the graphics are swish at the start then the novelty wears off after playing, as the PSP certainly does grab you at the very instant when you first play it, theres no doubt.
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:39
Regular
"and PC user"
Tscore05 wrote:
> At the end of the day who cares the DS will be crushed by the PSP
>
> Sony ramping up production too:
>
> 1million a month by April
>
> and
>
> 2million a month by the end of the year.
>
> Can you feel the heat Ninty fanboys.

I guess I would take a slightly different route. While I do think PSP will be the market leader in the handheld console world in a few short years, DS will have it's (smaller) user base. Now if you want to buy a DS, thats fine. But you see, it's all about choice. And having 2 handhelds out there might be a good thing. Maybe ports from one to the other - already happening with RidgeRacer. That might be handy for people who do want the DS, but would also like to be able to play RR on their machine. Its cheaper than buying both machines, for sure. And others will be glad there is a real choice at last, since many people dont like the games slection Nintendo like to stick to. The only "real problem" for DS will be if the PSP starts to get too much of a lead, and develpers start to turn their backs on DS. It will just be Nintendo's in house games then. Could Nintendo justify keeping their handheld system going?
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:38
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
No you all have Mario instead.
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:34
Regular
Tscore05 wrote:

> Can you feel the heat Ninty fanboys.

Nope.

You see not all of us have Macintosh girating his crotch on our asses.
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:31
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
At the end of the day who cares the DS will be crushed by the PSP

Sony ramping up production too:

1million a month by April

and

2million a month by the end of the year.

Can you feel the heat Ninty fanboys.
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:27
Regular
Tscore05 wrote:
> Well done Ninty fanboys you really have changed my mind, I will
> definetly go out and buy a DS now it has a massive screen, rich
> graphics, online and mp3 compatible, wireless game play, cute little
> cartridges, can play movies and a tooth pick what more could I want.

A question mark key and a pair of testicals?
Wed 26/01/05 at 16:25
Regular
"and PC user"
Gollum wrote:
> Well at long last, I got a playtest of about an hour on the PSP (no
> the battery didn't run out, but the volume wasn't at Max)
>
> I have to say that it does look excellent.
>
> The game I was playing was Ridge Racers and showed what the first
> titles are capable of on this system.
> Yeah there was loading times that seemed a little annoying and the
> screen isn't that brighter than the DS (on hand), but in reality I
> have to say you get over it....a little, but the PSP isn't something
> special.
>
> The graphics are swish at the start but it sinks in as just ordinary,
> but it is no better than the PS2 for one, they are nice to look at
> and yes certainly better than the DS...but just a 'little'.
> They certainly look the business looking at screenshots on the net,
> but seeing and playing the PSP again makes the graphics feel
> ordinary- a feeling that we have 'seen it before' and yes this is
> hampered by the one screen.
> I did feel as though I wanted a second screen because I became so
> used to using one on the DS and I did have the urge to touch the PSP
> screen for some sort of control, i guess the DS has paid off in
> making it 'different' to anything else and a system that no other can
> compete against in terms of what it can do.
> The button layout is ok i suppose and the Analogue disc isnt that
> much when you compare it to the mainstream analogue stick. It slides
> in the direction you push it and does feel kind of awkward, but it is
> definately no Analogue stick, but something entirely new.
>
> It does sound a little negative what i'm saying I know, but It's the
> feelings I came away with after playing it, something feels missing
> with the PSP. Its a great looking system but with a lot of problems
> as reported in this topic, but I feel if Sony had of worked that
> extra bit on it, with a better battery life, proper analogue stick,
> enagaging LONG epic games (PROPER MGS/FF)- it would be on the same
> level as what Nintendo is at now.

Well, I dont take too much notice of reviews of anything that rely on how someone "feels" about the product. I have to say, that if the PSP graphics are below PS2 standard, then the DS graphics are even further below that standard - the review even admits the DS is not quite as good. I cant understand how at the start you say the graphics are swish, then within the hour you claim they are just ordinary. You must have very quickly changed your mind. Its like having a brand new PC or G5 Mac, after using a really old PC or Mac, being blown away by the speed increase, then 30mins later saying its not really that fast afterall. When people say things like that, its almost like they are "de-tuning" an otherwise good review so it doesnt sound so good to other readers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.