GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"download while PC is quiet?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/10/04 at 19:20
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

I want to download a very large file using my 56k connection over night, the problem is my PC 'hums' and is in my fathers room, and he probably wont like the noise while he sleeps. I'm not sure if the humming belongs to a fan or other device in the tower, and I can't get inside to find out. What ever it is, I need the noise to be minimal. Does anyone know how I could do this? And if there is a way to do it, is it also possible to have the monitor turned off while the download is happening too? I've tried turning computer on stand-by (I'm a noob obviously) to see if the connection remained open, but it doesn't.

Any advice would be good.
Thu 07/10/04 at 19:20
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

I want to download a very large file using my 56k connection over night, the problem is my PC 'hums' and is in my fathers room, and he probably wont like the noise while he sleeps. I'm not sure if the humming belongs to a fan or other device in the tower, and I can't get inside to find out. What ever it is, I need the noise to be minimal. Does anyone know how I could do this? And if there is a way to do it, is it also possible to have the monitor turned off while the download is happening too? I've tried turning computer on stand-by (I'm a noob obviously) to see if the connection remained open, but it doesn't.

Any advice would be good.
Thu 07/10/04 at 19:36
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Its hard to tell what is making the noise, is it constant or in intervolves? If it’s constant it will be a fan, you can sometimes fix this by just dusting it out, or it could be your power supply, you cant really fix this but have a look at the fan that should be on the top back of the pc and see how dusty it is. Just dust this out and blow on it, when your computer is off course and yes you can turn your monitor of.
Thu 07/10/04 at 20:42
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Yes, it's a constant sound. Blowing didn't do much though. If it is the fan would it be safe to turn this off for like 12 hours while I'm downloading? Would the PC be damaged if I do it just this one? The PC is like 'warm' at this very moment.
Thu 07/10/04 at 22:14
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Without knowing which fan it is it's hard to advise you. You can just switch your monitor off by the way, it won't make a difference.
Thu 07/10/04 at 22:36
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Well i think that it is a dusty fan, y cant you get into your pc?
Fri 08/10/04 at 08:58
Regular
"where's my tag?"
poopots wrote:
> Well i think that it is a dusty fan, y cant you get into your pc?

There's too much crap in the way.

Thanks for the help anyway. It's morning now so I'll just do it now instead, lol.
Sat 09/10/04 at 11:09
Regular
Power Supplys, CPU Fans, Case Fans and Graphics card fans usually contribute a lot to the noise. Hard Drives can also be quite noisey.

However, unless you're willing to spend between £100 - £150 to make your PC silent then I wouldn't bother.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.