GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No Subscription Satellite Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/10/04 at 13:35
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I've got a satellite dish (one of the little digital ones). Does anyone know if I can get any free channels by buying a second-hand digi box?

I ask because at the moment I have freeview, but I can only get a couple of channels... I would like to be able to get shopping channels, news channels any thing like that?
Thu 07/10/04 at 16:53
"Darth Vader 3442321"
cookie monster wrote:
> On price drop tv mountain bikes went for £1 a piece.
>
> You had the £15 or whatever it was on P&P, but still cheap.

That's not bad. Different principle to bid up of course. Hold on for as long as possible, don't jump in straight away.

What I enjoy about these "shows" is the fact that the presenter(s) will try and make the product (let's use a mountain bike) sound like it is fantastic buy, by:

a) saying things like "they've really thought about everything with this bike, it even has brakes which slow you down and pedals"

b) alluding to the fact that "this'd make a great gift for someone who wants a mountain bike", "it's nearly christmas" or "at this price you'd be mad to MISS OUT"

c) trying to make the sum of the parts seem greater than the whole "at £50 you ARE getting a real bargain; take this handlebar for example, it'd cost you at least £20 to buy one individually"

d) getting stupid/bored people to phone the show to give their testimonies "I got the bike from your show for £40, then the day it was delivered I rode it into a stationary car at a set of traffic lights. I sued them for compensation, even though it was established that it was my own fault and won £50k! I then went to McDonalds for a celebratory burger and cup of scalding tea, which I promptly spilled down my legs (I was wearing cycling shorts at the time) and won another £100k in compensation"
Thu 07/10/04 at 15:27
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
On price drop tv mountain bikes went for £1 a piece.

You had the £15 or whatever it was on P&P, but still cheap.
Thu 07/10/04 at 14:28
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The shopping channels are a brilliant insight into the feeble-minded populous.

Take the bid up auctions. It costs one pound to make a bid, regardless if it is a "winning bid" or not. To make a winning bid, you have to enter a price that is high enough to finish in the top "however many items are in the auction". Thus if there are 100 PCs for sale, you have to be one of the highest 100 bidders. The bidding starts from £1 and the guide price is shown on the screen, in this instance let's say £1000.

EVERY WINNING BID PAYS THE SAME AMOUNT THAT THE RISING PRICE FINISHES AT. The price of course is forced up by the amount bidded (allegedly) and seems to simply rise at regular intervals throughout the auction, to force people to bid again.

Still with me?

Right. So why the **** do ******* ****headed ******* make bids of £1, then £3, then £5 for an item such as a PC? YOU WILL NEVER GET THE ITEM AT THAT PRICE. NEVER. You have just paid £1 per bid (some people must make 10 bids per auction) for no reason what so ever. Surely you must watch the show and realise that no item has EVER been sold for £1. In fact no ITEM is ever sold for at least 25-30% of the guide price.

Soon the auction will get near the end (there is so much to sell that no auction lasts for long); you can tell it is near the end because the person selling the item will say "the auction is near the end" and the screen will show that the auction is nearly at an end because the stock level will indicate that there are only a few items left. Make your bid now but DO NOT BID ONE POUND MORE THAN THE CURRENT ************* PRICE ON THE SCREEN. You ONLY pay the final amount REGARDLESS of how much you bid. SO BID £1000 (the guide price) if you want to buy the PC for £450 or whatever when the auction ends. You will almost certainly be one of the highest bidders and there is no chance of pushing the price up that much anyway.

Oh and you're not really "winning anything" are you?

The owners of these channels must love the simpletons of this world.
Thu 07/10/04 at 14:09
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
wow that's loads of channels. I'm definitly doing that. shame they don't list the shopping cahnnels.

thanks
xxx
Thu 07/10/04 at 14:00
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
More info here

[URL]http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyFTA.htm[/URL]
Thu 07/10/04 at 13:48
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Any idea what channels you can get with just the box and no card? Can you get price-drop.tv?
Thu 07/10/04 at 13:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You used to be able to get a free to air viewing card from the bbc to let you get a few more channels from your digibox, they stopped supplying them when they stopped encrypting their channels though.

Now you can only get more channels by getting Top-Up TV or subscribing to a sky package, as you would expect, none of which are free.

:D
Thu 07/10/04 at 13:35
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I've got a satellite dish (one of the little digital ones). Does anyone know if I can get any free channels by buying a second-hand digi box?

I ask because at the moment I have freeview, but I can only get a couple of channels... I would like to be able to get shopping channels, news channels any thing like that?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.