GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Parts help?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/10/04 at 21:37
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Looking for some help and advice so hopefully some of you can lend some help.

My dads wants to upgrade his PC, he wants a new motherboard, graphics card, processor and RAM.

Just looking for suggestions as what might be best to buy and where to get it from.
Not looking for the best you can buy but fairly decent, graphics card would need to allow him to play some decent games (Like doom3 etc)

Cheers :0)
Fri 01/10/04 at 21:37
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Looking for some help and advice so hopefully some of you can lend some help.

My dads wants to upgrade his PC, he wants a new motherboard, graphics card, processor and RAM.

Just looking for suggestions as what might be best to buy and where to get it from.
Not looking for the best you can buy but fairly decent, graphics card would need to allow him to play some decent games (Like doom3 etc)

Cheers :0)
Fri 01/10/04 at 21:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Do you have a budget in mind?
Fri 01/10/04 at 21:42
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Well as cheap as possible would be good :-)

Was quoted about £500 from a guy my dad knows for most of what he was looking for but I guess the net might be cheaper and I wanted to see what people on here came up with to give us a better idea what to go for.
Fri 01/10/04 at 21:53
Regular
Could get a spanky new good spec PC for that much.
Fri 01/10/04 at 22:21
Regular
"Touched!"
How much RAM does he need? AMD or Intel?
Fri 01/10/04 at 22:29
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
He was going to go with a pentium 4 but to be honest I don't think he is really too bothered, depends whats better value at the time of buying I guess.
Fri 01/10/04 at 22:48
Regular
"Touched!"
Well this is what I'd go for which is within his budget:

[URL] http:// [/URL]

Corsair Ram is decent, good CPU/Fan combo plus a decent motherboard.

I'd then use the remaining Cash for another stick of that Corsair Ram and a 9800 Pro.
Fri 01/10/04 at 23:52
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Has he considered the effect all this new hardware will have on his old power supply?
Sat 02/10/04 at 00:52
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Yeah, already bought a new one.
He's been buying the odd part for a while now, got another 120Gb hard disk the other day and a power supply.

I'll get a list from him of the stuff he had been looking at to see what you guys think.
spike I'll show him that link and see what he thinks - cheers
Mon 04/10/04 at 21:05
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Right graphics cards.

Should he be going for a radeon 9800 pro or would you recommend something else?

He wants to be able to play Far Cry and Doom3 at a reasonable standard and also not have to upgrade again for a good while when newer games come out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.