GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First Person Shooter"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/05/01 at 18:51
Regular
The First person shooter is a great genre and i am not trying to say that is not all i am interested in is the AGE OLD question can you have a "SMART" FPS? (First Person Shooter)

Now i not talking about smart graphics like HALO but i am talking about the term used all the time thinking man shooter now first i would like to tell you what i think a smart first person shooter really is it is a game that is like no other it is a game were you have to kill because of a reason but not Just because or THE AGE OLD REASON he is going to kill me for a good reason. they also must have good AL that is people react to you to the surrondings. there must be multi paths to victory (i will talk more on later).

The first FPS were games like doom no story line and no really brains involved so that is defenitly not a contendor now DOOM rulled the FPS waves untill finally Duke nukem came along this didnt not need much brains jumping around shooting stuff getting keys stuff like that. But it did have a storyline (i week one at that)

But the new generation of games are they smart shooters? lets take rogue spear this game you take control of a squad of anti terriost personnel and you basically fight round a small or large building trying to kill terriost before they kill you and then rescue 1 particular hostage before moving on too the next level! Not very smart no but the enemy al is good and thats it, Rogue spear as so many clones i am not about to hark on about all of them.

no then onto Multiply paths to victory now Dues Ex is a perfect example of a Game that claims to be what it is not now Deus Ex is an exalent game a so neraly becomes a Smart mans shooter so close but yet so far in every game that says multi ply paths the easiest way is normally to duck run and shoot like on Deus Ex on the first level if you take out a pistol and duck buy all ammo that you see and read everything then you can complet it in mins so that really isnt one!

But back to my main point i dont think that you can every get a smart first person shooter because you cannot but perfect AL in a game And something to kill plus something worth killing for really worth killing for in ONE game it just would not work the enemy would shoot you down soon as look at you and also you would need a world free of corruption violince and everything to make it work and then who would you shoot? no one so the answear i think is that first person shooter should stay as they are no not grapically or storyline wise but we have FUN FPS which are the best type of GAME FUN GAMEs if we dont advance though we could find out that we have just Killed the FPS again and i would not like that not at all!
Sun 06/05/01 at 18:51
The First person shooter is a great genre and i am not trying to say that is not all i am interested in is the AGE OLD question can you have a "SMART" FPS? (First Person Shooter)

Now i not talking about smart graphics like HALO but i am talking about the term used all the time thinking man shooter now first i would like to tell you what i think a smart first person shooter really is it is a game that is like no other it is a game were you have to kill because of a reason but not Just because or THE AGE OLD REASON he is going to kill me for a good reason. they also must have good AL that is people react to you to the surrondings. there must be multi paths to victory (i will talk more on later).

The first FPS were games like doom no story line and no really brains involved so that is defenitly not a contendor now DOOM rulled the FPS waves untill finally Duke nukem came along this didnt not need much brains jumping around shooting stuff getting keys stuff like that. But it did have a storyline (i week one at that)

But the new generation of games are they smart shooters? lets take rogue spear this game you take control of a squad of anti terriost personnel and you basically fight round a small or large building trying to kill terriost before they kill you and then rescue 1 particular hostage before moving on too the next level! Not very smart no but the enemy al is good and thats it, Rogue spear as so many clones i am not about to hark on about all of them.

no then onto Multiply paths to victory now Dues Ex is a perfect example of a Game that claims to be what it is not now Deus Ex is an exalent game a so neraly becomes a Smart mans shooter so close but yet so far in every game that says multi ply paths the easiest way is normally to duck run and shoot like on Deus Ex on the first level if you take out a pistol and duck buy all ammo that you see and read everything then you can complet it in mins so that really isnt one!

But back to my main point i dont think that you can every get a smart first person shooter because you cannot but perfect AL in a game And something to kill plus something worth killing for really worth killing for in ONE game it just would not work the enemy would shoot you down soon as look at you and also you would need a world free of corruption violince and everything to make it work and then who would you shoot? no one so the answear i think is that first person shooter should stay as they are no not grapically or storyline wise but we have FUN FPS which are the best type of GAME FUN GAMEs if we dont advance though we could find out that we have just Killed the FPS again and i would not like that not at all!
Sun 06/05/01 at 19:18
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
My best experience of a FPS has got to be Perfect dark, since I only play games on my N64 this is bound to be the case. Goldeneye was a success, but lacked the reall human motions, e.g. your Bond, and you see two guards standing with their backs towards you, you shoot one and he falls to the floor, you then shoot the other one without him moving a muscle, maybe to scratch his bum. Whereas with PD, the enimies wait for you to come to them, and if you have a bigger gun than them they shoot the lights out and run from the room! amazing! I don't like the darksims much though, although their fun on slowmotion, they can shoot you while moving in the eye from about 20km away! TWICE!
Sun 06/05/01 at 19:22
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
?
Sun 06/05/01 at 19:35
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
The darksims on PD are very good, that was what I was trying to say.
Sun 06/05/01 at 21:40
Although Perfect dark is a good game it is not perfect because of the Al the al still stand around when shoot and dont really hear your foot steps also there are some annoying bits like trying to stay out the way of the drone gun or the invisable guards so no still no great FPS!
Mon 07/05/01 at 22:07
There is also now a trend back to DOOM style games with serious sam and DUKE NUKEM if it ever comes out!!!!!!!!
Mon 07/05/01 at 23:12
Regular
nick why did you say Dues Ex first then Deus Ex?
Tue 08/05/01 at 19:21
A mistake
Tue 08/05/01 at 19:24
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Fogmaster wrote:
> My best experience of a FPS has got to be Perfect dark, since I only
> play games on my N64 this is bound to be the case. Goldeneye was a
> success, but lacked the reall human motions, e.g. your Bond, and you
> see two guards standing with their backs towards you, you shoot one
> and he falls to the floor, you then shoot the other one without him
> moving a muscle, maybe to scratch his bum. Whereas with PD, the
> enimies wait for you to come to them, and if you have a bigger gun
> than them they shoot the lights out and run from the room! amazing!
> I don't like the darksims much though, although their fun on
> slowmotion, they can shoot you while moving in the eye from about
> 20km away! TWICE!

THey were both great games but you're right on the AI smartness thing but Goldeneye sims do sometimes react!
Tue 08/05/01 at 20:09
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
nickybond1 wrote:
> Although Perfect dark is a good game it is not perfect

That's such so bad, but I can't think it's ever been said before so you get away with it.

First person shooters have to be the most played genre around the globe, this is mainly because of Goldeneye's multiplayer, well it is in my eyes anyway.

Plus Goldeneye's guards (AI) weren't very clever, you could tell what roll or attack they were going to do before they had done it, plus they started dodging your bullets after you have shot them....and! if they started rolling but you shot them about 5 times, they got up then died, whats that about? I think PDark moves away from that by letting the guards drop their guns, or have them shot out of their hands so you think they're dead, but no! they pick it up and carry on fighting........unless you pick their gun up first, then they give up, very amusing.
+ sorry to bore you with that long winded explanation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.