GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Death of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/05/00 at 16:41
Regular
I think i am not alone in saying that gaming, as a whole, is dying out.

Other formats like DVD have taken over gaming, and games are becoming more and more dull. Take the new platforms soon to be available. Dreamcast is simply a rehash of the Saturn, with improved graphics and a fancy controller. , In three years, Sega will have to face the exact same problem that they did with their rusty old bucket of crap. The PlayStation 2 will suffer from being the most popular machine on the market, and the developers will not feel the pressure of constantly having to provide the goods anymore, they can rest on their laurels because they know that Joe Schmo will still buy the latest FIFA and snub the vastly superior ISS series. As for Nintendo and the Dolphin, how a company so big and talented can make the same mistake twice is well beyond me. They have left the Dolphin far too long in development, and it probably won't see the light of day until 2001 at the earliest. By then, people will have lost interest in gaming entirely, and they will have a machine that will be dead before it reaches the shelves.

You see, the problem is, nothing new is being produced, nothing new is happening in the world of gaming at all. Sega release their machine first to initial applause. Then Sony release their 'superior' machine which appears to blow Sega out of the water. Sony then release five or six good games amongst a cavalcade of crap sequels and rehashes. Then you get Nintendo's machine, bringing up the rear with it's 5 good games in 4 long years. Any of this sound familiar? Well it bloody well should do! It's so dull and predictable that it almost sends you to sleep. Gamers, if they are as smart as they claim to be will wake up and stop taking all the rubbish that is being produced, because if they don't, pretty soon, they will be realsing that they are wasting their time and go out and find something else to do.

If anyone else feels this way, please reply, as i think i am not alone in this way of thinking. However, if you think i am talking a load of bull, then also feel free to respond. I'd like to see you prove anything otherwise!
Tue 09/05/00 at 16:41
I think i am not alone in saying that gaming, as a whole, is dying out.

Other formats like DVD have taken over gaming, and games are becoming more and more dull. Take the new platforms soon to be available. Dreamcast is simply a rehash of the Saturn, with improved graphics and a fancy controller. , In three years, Sega will have to face the exact same problem that they did with their rusty old bucket of crap. The PlayStation 2 will suffer from being the most popular machine on the market, and the developers will not feel the pressure of constantly having to provide the goods anymore, they can rest on their laurels because they know that Joe Schmo will still buy the latest FIFA and snub the vastly superior ISS series. As for Nintendo and the Dolphin, how a company so big and talented can make the same mistake twice is well beyond me. They have left the Dolphin far too long in development, and it probably won't see the light of day until 2001 at the earliest. By then, people will have lost interest in gaming entirely, and they will have a machine that will be dead before it reaches the shelves.

You see, the problem is, nothing new is being produced, nothing new is happening in the world of gaming at all. Sega release their machine first to initial applause. Then Sony release their 'superior' machine which appears to blow Sega out of the water. Sony then release five or six good games amongst a cavalcade of crap sequels and rehashes. Then you get Nintendo's machine, bringing up the rear with it's 5 good games in 4 long years. Any of this sound familiar? Well it bloody well should do! It's so dull and predictable that it almost sends you to sleep. Gamers, if they are as smart as they claim to be will wake up and stop taking all the rubbish that is being produced, because if they don't, pretty soon, they will be realsing that they are wasting their time and go out and find something else to do.

If anyone else feels this way, please reply, as i think i am not alone in this way of thinking. However, if you think i am talking a load of bull, then also feel free to respond. I'd like to see you prove anything otherwise!
Wed 10/05/00 at 21:46
> If anyone else feels this way, please reply, as i think i am not
> alone in this way of thinking. However, if you think i am talking
> a load of bull, then also feel free to respond. I'd like to see
> you prove anything otherwise!

The only point i'd like to add to that post, would be that i'd limit this to Console gaming. Consoles are dieing, multiplayer gaming is taking over in a big big way, and i'm afraid that consoles simply won't fulfill the requirements of a good multiplayer game.

I really can't see a console owner playing Everquest or the like, or really getting into Q3a without having to buy a harddisc drive and a mouse and keyboard to go with the PSX2.

Thankfully gaming on a PC will always be inventive, yet it will also be limited to the few that can get past all the bugs and install problems that are inherit in the PC world.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.