GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo history (Please Help :-))"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/01/05 at 12:17
Regular
"Random by default"
I just need a quick run down of Nintendos history so i can use it for an assignment!

This includes:
Nintendo becoming a gaming company
Nintendo consoles (All - yes even the virtual boy thing :-P)
Nintendo games (The big ones! OoT, Mario world, first mario game etc)
Dates included if possible.

Big names during these events would be a nice bonus if possible :-)

I know i've not been around for long but i would be grateful for any help.
Tue 11/01/05 at 17:03
Regular
Concept wrote:
> Thank you very much Dringo more than enough :-D

My geeky pleasure.
Tue 11/01/05 at 16:16
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
The Hanafuda Card company Nintendo (meaning in the end it is in god's hands)

Try hunting down the book 'Game Over' for an excellent history lesson.
Tue 11/01/05 at 16:00
Regular
"Random by default"
Thank you very much Dringo more than enough :-D
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:33
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> In 2004 Europe gets Metroid Prime and Wind Waker whilst the
> world gets Mario Kart Double Dash at Christmas.

You mean 2003 :)

Tue 11/01/05 at 13:02
Regular
"Bicycle"
I remember when I wrote up one of those. On the history of gaming, and most of that was Ninty.
Tue 11/01/05 at 12:58
Regular
Nintendo started in 1889 and made cards (mainly) and made cards for companies as huge as Disney (1n 1962).

In the years 1963 - 1968 Nintendo started making toys and games, including rather tacky robots and what not. This is also the time they changed their name to Nintendo Co. Ltd .

Nintendo opened their first game company in 1969, their first R and D department was called just "games" and they later changed the teams name to Intelligent Studios.

In 1970 one of Nintendo's most famous employs (next to shigsy) Gunpei Yokoi joined and developed the Ultra hand that shifted 1.2 million copies.

Yokoi continued to make stuff included the famous "love tester".

In 1973 Yokoi developed a clay pigeon shooting game with a light gun, it went mega in Japan.

1977 - Shigeru Miyamoto joins Nintendo and Nintendo enter the video game market. Nintendo develop "Color TV Game 6" that played 6 different versions of light tennis, it sold millions.

The Colour TV game series continued and kept selling very well, Nintendo in 1979 developed a system that allowed to create handheld games. Game and Watch was born.

Yokoi starts making games for the new Game and Watch system in Japan but it was Shigeru Miyamoto's Donkey Kong released in 1980 that shook the world. It is safe to say that game is the biggest game Nintendo have ever made!

In 1982 the first sequel of Donkey Kong was made and Universal tried sueing Nintendo because "Donkey Kong" was similar to "King Kong"... Nintendo won.

In 1983 Nintendo released the famicom in Japan and the coin-op Mario Brothers (that thing we got in Mario Advance) was released.

The following year Famicom took off and sold millions. YAmauchi, the crazy dude we all know and love, split Nintendo up into multiple small RandD departments, Yamauchi wanted them to work on one game at a time. Developing true classics. Donkey Kong 3 was released and was a disaster. Nintendo vowed never to release a sequel to that range of games again.

The NES is then released in the US, just as the game Super Mario Brothers takes the world by storm! It is still the biggest selling game of all time.

1986 the first Metroid was released, it flopped in Japan but in Europe and America it became a massive hit. Nintendo still use Metroid to sell systems in the west.

1987 the first Zelda was released. And in fact so was the second!

Popular Japanese game Doki Doki Panic was released in US and Europe in 1988 complete with Mario characters. The game became Super Mario Brothers 2 and was also the launch game for the Gameboy Advance. It sold 10 million world wide.

What became the biggest selling console of all time was released in 1989, the Gameboy was released with Super Mario Land and Tetris. The Wizard (a movie) was released in which Super Mario Brothers 3 was announced. This was becoming the most hyped game ever. Tetris became the second biggest selling game of all time.

1n 1990 the SNES was released shorty after Super Mario Brothers 3 became the third best selling game of all time. It wasn't until 1992 that the Super Famicom was released worldwide.

In 1991 Nintendo tried and failed to sue Game Genie. Nintendo also were slammed with a fine for "monopolising the game market". The SNES CD, a joint venture with Sony was announced.

1992 FINALLY saw the release of the SNES in Europe. Zelda 3 was released and it soon became Nintendo's most prestigious franchise. Mario Kart was also released to critical acclaim. The super FX chip had been built!

1993 :- Mario Allstars was announced, STarfox using the Super FX chip was releasd, Project Reality was confirmed and as was Zelda 4, the first Zelda game to be a GB title.

1994 :- The last NES game, Wario Woods, was released. Virtual Boy was shown to the world, developed by R&D 1 by Yokoi. Donkey Kong Country and Super Metroid became 2 of Nintendo's greatest games and placed RARE as one of Nintendo's best allies.

1995 :- Virtual Boy is released and became a disaster. . Donkey Kong LAnd and DK Country 2 was released, RARE suddenly made a name for themselves. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island bids a farewell to the SNES.

1996 :- Squaresoft after a bitter feud with Nintendo leave for Sony. It became a critical blow to the Japanese giant. Hiroshi declared he would never work with Square again. Whilst Square said Nintendo wouldn't last the next few years. The N64 was released with Super Mario 64 along with the Gameboy Pocket. Super Mario RPG was Square's final game but was out sold by Donkey Kong Country 3. Yokoi leaves Nintendo after the failure of the Virtual Boy. He died in 1997 in a car accident. Nintendo's great genius is still missed to this day.

1997 - Final Fantasy VII was released to critical and comercial acclaim. Did Nintendo sit and cry as Square and Sony began to take over the world? Did they hell, they released Pokemon... which sold twice as much! Oh and the N64 hit Europe.

Goldeneye was released Christmas 1997, Zelda Ocarina of Time 1998 along with the Gameboy Colour, in 1999 DK64 was released along with the Expansion Pak. 2000 saw the release of Perfect Dark and Zelda: Majora's MAsk whilst 2001 saw Paper Mario and conker's Bad Fur Day. 2001 also saw the release of the Gamecube everywhere but Europe. And the launch of the Gameboy Advance.

2002 saw the release of the GBA SP, Gamecube in Europe and Super Mario Sunshine. Along with Zelda: Wind Waker in Japan and Metroid in America. In 2003 Europe gets Metroid Prime and Wind Waker whilst the world gets Mario Kart Double Dash at Christmas. The I-que, a special piracy proof device was released in China. The big news was the kissing and making up between the once great lovers of Square and Nintendo. The 2 made up and Gamecube game, Crystal Chronicles, was announced. 2004 saw the unprecedented announcement and release of the DS in the same year.
Tue 11/01/05 at 12:29
Regular
Like Wink said below, I think they originally started as a trading card company in the 1890's.
Tue 11/01/05 at 12:19
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
Mario was first featured in Donkey Kong where you had to doge kongs barrels to rescue the princess. They originally ade cards.

Thats as far as my Ninty knowledge streches so far.
Tue 11/01/05 at 12:17
Regular
"Random by default"
I just need a quick run down of Nintendos history so i can use it for an assignment!

This includes:
Nintendo becoming a gaming company
Nintendo consoles (All - yes even the virtual boy thing :-P)
Nintendo games (The big ones! OoT, Mario world, first mario game etc)
Dates included if possible.

Big names during these events would be a nice bonus if possible :-)

I know i've not been around for long but i would be grateful for any help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.