GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Dare (A Story)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/09/04 at 22:15
Regular
The Dare

I wearily switched my direction toward the tree, and gasped. Nervous feelings started to rattle through my body. I looked up at the summit, poised high into the autumn sky. The tree was broad and winding. Its bark quilt wrapped tightly around the body, and each finger-like bough twisted from the trunk. Each butter-painted autumn leaf formed a gaping canopy under which I trembled. I couldn’t climb this, it was impossible.

‘Come on then,’ I could hear my friends from behind, forcing me to attempt this threatening task like a dog taking orders from its owner. The streaked sky lay motionless, a swirl of warm colours bleached the sunset upon the blue background like an artist’s painting, whilst a gentle breeze wafted in the moist air. I turned to see my friends in the faint distance, calling to me to climb the monstrous oak tree.

‘C’mon,’ I heard one cry ‘I ‘aint standing around all day for you.’ I felt a growing anger scream inside me, urging me to run as far as I could. But, with a deep breath, I gritted my teeth and placed my foot upon the bark ladder I was to climb. I didn’t want to take part in this ‘dare’. I felt I was watched by hundreds of pairs of invisible eyes, each one tempting me to tackle my fate. A soft blanket of crispy leaves lead me to the tree like a red carpet, and I was overwhelmed by the crushing atmosphere. But, with one last prayer to the heavens, and a build up of the little energy I contained within me, I pulled myself onto the foothold.

I could hear my friends cheering in the distance, but they meant nothing to me. I was focused completely on the task in hand. Each small step seemed to last and eternity, as I pulled myself onto a strong branch. The bark flakes pierced my hands like sharpened blades as I held onto the trunk, but I closed my eyes tight, and carried on regardless. The chrome sky which looked down upon me was now blotched with grey tinges, and I instantly knew that night was drawing in. The decaying autumn leaves swirled slowly past me in the hard breeze, as I clambered from bough to bough.

I raised my head, but the distant summit still appeared hundreds of miles away. There was a mysterious twinge in the soft air, and I felt slightly uncomfortable as I pulled myself up, like an arachnid crawling up a stone wall. But time slowly passed, and the dark shadows that infested the blue sky were ever-growing. A flurry of nervous feelings shot up my spine like a speeding train, and the surrounding trees casted ever-evolving cold shadows over my trembling body. But I looked up and I could see the top of the tree ahead of me. A rush of excitement now streamed through me like a gushing river.

After what felt like years of exhausting climbing, I pulled myself up to the last branches that spouted from the tree. I let out a huge sigh; I had made it to the top. I looked down toward the dark forest floor where my friends were once standing, but they were no longer there. I began to tremble wildly, and I screamed out to them. Nothing.

The night sky had almost drawn in, as fear gushed through me. My heart pounded against my chest like a caged animal, screaming to be let out. Was this my fate? Was this meant to happen?

As a rusty autumn night coated the forest like a huge leather jacket, I began my climb down. Under a midnight moon that gleamed like a diamond, and stars that twinkled, pinned to the velvet sky, I made my way down. I felt I was being watched by the life of the night, the nocturnal creatures made me feel terrified. Tears rolled down my cheeks like rainwater. And as I reached a narrow branch, it happened.

With a piercing crack the bough snapped, and time seemed to go by in slow-motion as I slipped off the trunk and toward the carpeted forest floor. As I landed, pain shot through my body, and then everything went black…
Thu 30/09/04 at 22:26
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Didn't like it really, sorry. Not much happened and it was quite predictable what was going to happen.
Thu 30/09/04 at 22:15
Regular
The Dare

I wearily switched my direction toward the tree, and gasped. Nervous feelings started to rattle through my body. I looked up at the summit, poised high into the autumn sky. The tree was broad and winding. Its bark quilt wrapped tightly around the body, and each finger-like bough twisted from the trunk. Each butter-painted autumn leaf formed a gaping canopy under which I trembled. I couldn’t climb this, it was impossible.

‘Come on then,’ I could hear my friends from behind, forcing me to attempt this threatening task like a dog taking orders from its owner. The streaked sky lay motionless, a swirl of warm colours bleached the sunset upon the blue background like an artist’s painting, whilst a gentle breeze wafted in the moist air. I turned to see my friends in the faint distance, calling to me to climb the monstrous oak tree.

‘C’mon,’ I heard one cry ‘I ‘aint standing around all day for you.’ I felt a growing anger scream inside me, urging me to run as far as I could. But, with a deep breath, I gritted my teeth and placed my foot upon the bark ladder I was to climb. I didn’t want to take part in this ‘dare’. I felt I was watched by hundreds of pairs of invisible eyes, each one tempting me to tackle my fate. A soft blanket of crispy leaves lead me to the tree like a red carpet, and I was overwhelmed by the crushing atmosphere. But, with one last prayer to the heavens, and a build up of the little energy I contained within me, I pulled myself onto the foothold.

I could hear my friends cheering in the distance, but they meant nothing to me. I was focused completely on the task in hand. Each small step seemed to last and eternity, as I pulled myself onto a strong branch. The bark flakes pierced my hands like sharpened blades as I held onto the trunk, but I closed my eyes tight, and carried on regardless. The chrome sky which looked down upon me was now blotched with grey tinges, and I instantly knew that night was drawing in. The decaying autumn leaves swirled slowly past me in the hard breeze, as I clambered from bough to bough.

I raised my head, but the distant summit still appeared hundreds of miles away. There was a mysterious twinge in the soft air, and I felt slightly uncomfortable as I pulled myself up, like an arachnid crawling up a stone wall. But time slowly passed, and the dark shadows that infested the blue sky were ever-growing. A flurry of nervous feelings shot up my spine like a speeding train, and the surrounding trees casted ever-evolving cold shadows over my trembling body. But I looked up and I could see the top of the tree ahead of me. A rush of excitement now streamed through me like a gushing river.

After what felt like years of exhausting climbing, I pulled myself up to the last branches that spouted from the tree. I let out a huge sigh; I had made it to the top. I looked down toward the dark forest floor where my friends were once standing, but they were no longer there. I began to tremble wildly, and I screamed out to them. Nothing.

The night sky had almost drawn in, as fear gushed through me. My heart pounded against my chest like a caged animal, screaming to be let out. Was this my fate? Was this meant to happen?

As a rusty autumn night coated the forest like a huge leather jacket, I began my climb down. Under a midnight moon that gleamed like a diamond, and stars that twinkled, pinned to the velvet sky, I made my way down. I felt I was being watched by the life of the night, the nocturnal creatures made me feel terrified. Tears rolled down my cheeks like rainwater. And as I reached a narrow branch, it happened.

With a piercing crack the bough snapped, and time seemed to go by in slow-motion as I slipped off the trunk and toward the carpeted forest floor. As I landed, pain shot through my body, and then everything went black…

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.