GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mercenaries & Republic Commando"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mercenaries'.
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:04
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
My heart and wallet says yes. Shall I order them now?
Fri 14/01/05 at 22:36
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mercenaries does look like Op Flash with GTA subtlety. I.e, the best bit of Op Flash mixed with the bit everyone loves from GTA.

I.e - probably good.
Fri 14/01/05 at 20:17
"possibly impossible"
Played a demo of Mercenaries today. Lovely. A bit like GTA (as everyone will no doubt say) but with distinct objectives.

Mind you, I just ignored the objectives and blew everything up. Those explosions are fantastic, jeeps just go flying all over the place.
Thu 13/01/05 at 19:34
Regular
"8==="
Ok. So in summary:

You buy it to get the 'joy' of returning it in 5 minutes.

The end.
Thu 13/01/05 at 11:36
Regular
There is no pick up and play about it though, it just sucks ass. From the minute I turned the demo on I was bored out of my mind. Movement is sluggish, AI sucks, the control over your team (as pointed out) is just crap. The whole game just feels like an average attempt to try and take the Star Wars series in a different direction.
Thu 13/01/05 at 01:24
Regular
"8==="
So the style's been updated to 'pick up and play, and then return to the shop 5 mins later'.
Thu 13/01/05 at 00:51
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> I read up on RC about a week ago. They're going for a 'pick up and
> play' squad game so it's not intended to be a rock hard tactical
> exercise.

I never wanted it to be anything of the sort. A bit of intrest in the fire fights would be nice though, it's all just so insanely dull and uninspired.

Oh and the control you have over your squad comes down to pointing them toward the pre designated spots on the map where a sniper should go, or a generic space trooper with a rocket launcher should stand.

It's just rubbish!
Wed 12/01/05 at 23:35
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Mercenaries: Yes

Republic Commando: Don't know, never seen it.
Tue 11/01/05 at 18:46
Regular
"8==="
I read up on RC about a week ago. They're going for a 'pick up and play' squad game so it's not intended to be a rock hard tactical exercise.
Tue 11/01/05 at 18:40
Regular
Republic Commando is pretty dire really, nothing more than average as Alastair said. Certainly a lot better shooter out or coming out soon to spend your money on.

I like the looks of Mercernaries but from videos I've seen it also looks a lot like a free roaming Star Wars Battlefront minus the lazer guns.

I'll wait for next months OXM demo me thinks.
Tue 11/01/05 at 15:37
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Oh well, saves me £30, cheers. Might order Mercenaries today then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.