GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Silverstone Dropped for 2005"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/09/04 at 17:06
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
At least on the provisional 2005 calendar, according to BBC Sport. Personally, I see this as a very negative thing- Silverstone is a great track, and the British Grand Prix has been run every year since F1 started in 1950.

...So what happens now? Yes, Silverstone is old, and not particularly up-to-date but it almost always supplies great races. Plus, there is a lot of British involvement in F1- 6 of the 10 teams racing this year are based over here (And if Jagauar are bought out, this figure will remain the same next year). I don't want to see it cancelled, and it's all down to a dispute aboput money. Should the government step in to help, should the BRDC pay up, what will happen...?

*Hopes this gets sorted out soon*
Sat 02/10/04 at 18:55
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Well, the latest development is that Ecclestone has agreed to half the deficit, after having a conversation with the Sports Minister. The government won't stump up the £1.5 million though. It's up to companies that benefit from the race to make up the difference.

If the cash appears, the teams have to agree to an 18 race season again, which shouldn't be a problem, according to Ecclestone.

Anyone got £1.5 million? :D
Fri 01/10/04 at 16:21
Regular
No f1 in Britain = Loss of interest from British public = Funds from goverment cut = British motorsport suffers.
Fri 01/10/04 at 16:14
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
gamesfreak wrote:
> It'll be a sad sad day for British Motorsport if they axe it for
> good.

And it'll be a huge blow financially as well- the Industry's worth a good £5bn a year, so the loss of the main event is seriously bad.

The government doesn't want to pay up, so where's the money going to come from? I hope this is resolved very soon, as it's an event that should not be lost.
Fri 01/10/04 at 13:39
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Yeah, 2007 it seems.

I've also heard rumours it will be replaced by Turkey. Not sure if that is next year or the year after.
Fri 01/10/04 at 00:10
Regular
Probably forever from the looks of things.

Sad.

Edit: Maybe not, Ecclestones giving them until 2007 to shapen up and get the cash.

Still, it's a great shame to NOT have a GP next year.
Thu 30/09/04 at 23:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I heard this doesn't mean the track's lost the race for ever, just for that year. Or something.
Thu 30/09/04 at 22:40
Regular
"Vodka Queen"
:( Wonder what they are going to replace it with.. another one in the far east i presume
Thu 30/09/04 at 22:33
Regular
Just been confirmed.
Thu 30/09/04 at 18:25
Regular
If Silverstone goes, F1 goes.

It'll be a sad sad day for British Motorsport if they axe it for good.
Thu 30/09/04 at 17:16
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'm going to wait for the full story to be revealed later on but if this were to happen, I'm sure there will be some way that the British fans can make their 'displeasure' felt.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.