GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Build Problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/09/04 at 18:12
Regular
First of all, cheers for all the help in my PC building thread - I've got the thing built now, have configured the BIOS and installed some virus software. Not bad, not bad at all - but I have a few problems.

First and foremost, the graphics card is giving me grief. After attempting to install the drivers for my brand new Gainward 6800 GT, I ran into a massive problem. XP will load up, looking very distorted, and then the PC will restart - from what I can make out of the corrupted image of the error message, apparently the display drivers have the PC stuck in an "infinite loop".

However, it doesn't appear to be a driver problem, as my friend downloaded some new ones and put them on a CD, which I installed and still got the same problem. It may be useful to note that only one fan on the card rotates when the PC is running, and when I initially installed the drivers from the CD supplied with the card it notified me at the start that a file was missing - but I assumed that this was for ExpertTool and not the drivers. Considering the downloaded drivers didn't change things, I would expect this detail is irrelevant. But who knows.

The rest is more trivial. I need to find out how to remove the retention module on the motherboard so I can attach my ThermalRight SP-94 Heatsink, to somehow work out how to plug two-pin fans into a motherboard with three-pin fan sockets, and figure out how to secure my hard drive and CD-ROM drive in place (the first isn't the right size for the bay, and as for the CD-ROM, there appears to be nothing on the case to secure it).

If it helps, the specs are as follows:

Abit IC7 Motherboard
Pentium 4 2.8ghz Prescott
2x 256mb DDR RAM (dual channel)
Antec 550w TrueControl
160gb 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HD

If anyone can help with any of this, I will be very grateful. Thanks.
Wed 29/09/04 at 18:12
Regular
First of all, cheers for all the help in my PC building thread - I've got the thing built now, have configured the BIOS and installed some virus software. Not bad, not bad at all - but I have a few problems.

First and foremost, the graphics card is giving me grief. After attempting to install the drivers for my brand new Gainward 6800 GT, I ran into a massive problem. XP will load up, looking very distorted, and then the PC will restart - from what I can make out of the corrupted image of the error message, apparently the display drivers have the PC stuck in an "infinite loop".

However, it doesn't appear to be a driver problem, as my friend downloaded some new ones and put them on a CD, which I installed and still got the same problem. It may be useful to note that only one fan on the card rotates when the PC is running, and when I initially installed the drivers from the CD supplied with the card it notified me at the start that a file was missing - but I assumed that this was for ExpertTool and not the drivers. Considering the downloaded drivers didn't change things, I would expect this detail is irrelevant. But who knows.

The rest is more trivial. I need to find out how to remove the retention module on the motherboard so I can attach my ThermalRight SP-94 Heatsink, to somehow work out how to plug two-pin fans into a motherboard with three-pin fan sockets, and figure out how to secure my hard drive and CD-ROM drive in place (the first isn't the right size for the bay, and as for the CD-ROM, there appears to be nothing on the case to secure it).

If it helps, the specs are as follows:

Abit IC7 Motherboard
Pentium 4 2.8ghz Prescott
2x 256mb DDR RAM (dual channel)
Antec 550w TrueControl
160gb 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HD

If anyone can help with any of this, I will be very grateful. Thanks.
Wed 29/09/04 at 18:23
"I love yo... lamp."
First up, the drives. They should fit. The hard drive should have a 3.5" bay to fit into that is somewhere on the case chassis. It might be fairly low down on the case. Again with the CD drive, it should just slide into a 5.25" bay and be screwed in. If there really is nothing to secure the drives to, then the case is missing bits. If it is a cheap case then it could be that the build quality isn't the greatest and you might need to take a pair of pliers or a hammer to bits of the case. Been there, done that.

As for the fans, what brand are they? They may only be two pin, but I imagine if they are proper PC fans as opposed to just ones that happen to be 80 mm or whatever, that they would still fit into a 3 pin header on the motherboard.

As for the graphics card, can you boot into safe mode and get a proper picture? I think both fans should be spinning all the time, for the second one to only come on when needed seems a bit complex, and would differ substantially from other manufacturers. Which makes me think that part of the card is overheating and then causing the PC to crash.
Wed 29/09/04 at 18:44
Regular
Mav wrote:
> However, it doesn't appear to be a driver problem, as my friend
> downloaded some new ones and put them on a CD, which I installed and
> still got the same problem. It may be useful to note that only one
> fan on the card rotates when the PC is running,

If there is two fans, two fans should be running. I suggest getting a temp card off a mate and sending it back for an exchange.

Either way, I'm not an expert on Gainward Cards.
Wed 29/09/04 at 20:05
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Could be something as trivial as the card not properly inserted into the AGP slot. Thats a SWEET motherboard by the way it should overclock like a dream, heck thats purely what it was designed for.

As for removing the retention bracket, I think you have to take the whole motherboard out and pop the plastic through the motherboard.

If you havent already purchased the SP-94, try Thermaltake's new one, which fits the standard retention bracket and out performs even the mighty SP-94.The 120mm fan is silent as well...

[URL]http://www.silentpcreview.com/article186-page1.html[/URL]
Wed 29/09/04 at 20:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
That new Thermalright looks mighty fine, the temps are excellent too.
Wed 29/09/04 at 23:24
Regular
"NULL"
I've got the Socket 754 version of the Zalman AlCu HSF combo they use in that review. My CPU is running at 49C under 100% load (FAD). It's quite noisey though - worth changing to the Thermalright ya reckon?
Thu 30/09/04 at 01:39
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Nimco wrote:
> I've got the Socket 754 version of the Zalman AlCu HSF combo they use
> in that review. My CPU is running at 49C under 100% load (FAD). It's
> quite noisey though - worth changing to the Thermalright ya reckon?

Im definately getting one, then I can FAD all night, my current coolermaster Jet has to be cranked right up (and produces uncomfortably loud noise considering its in my bedroom) otherwise the processor hits mid sixties and crashes.
Thu 30/09/04 at 08:11
Regular
Do what tigamilla said.

Take the card out of the slot and put it back in again making sure it clicks in.

I would also clear the CMOS and start again with the Bios. Its not like it takes forever to set the Bios up. Not sure if you did this before building it but by very slight chance another card was configured without the CMOS being cleared it could configured incorrectly. Also make sure the intiai boot device is set to AGP.

Also try turning fast write off on the card. This can actually improve game performance at times but it is also recommended as a test for dodgy cards.

Failing that I would have said Driver issue but if you have proven otherwise then hairy mu*f.

One of the above should work though.
Thu 30/09/04 at 10:57
Regular
"NULL"
I can leave my PC going all the time at 100% load and it never exceeds 50C. The only thing is, I didn't bother installing the fan control thingy for the CPU Fan, so I think it's always running at 12V which is why it's quite loud....
Thu 30/09/04 at 11:07
Regular
I don't have a control on the CPU fan aside from the Bios control fan. I have looked in there and can't see where you can alter the voltage.

Any ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.