GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/05/01 at 14:56
Regular
Lets face it, the Dreamcast could have done better. A year and a half into its launch and its already been dropped like a brick into the swimming pool, where no one can pick it up.

Lets face it, Sony's walking away with things a little bit arnt they. Worldwide the dreamcast seemed to be doing fine, Millions had been sold around America and Europe, Millions of games had been sold and most developers wanted to make DC games cos of the ease of the machine to program for. But lack of punters buying the machine compared with Playstations and the lack of Segas money compared with Sony have created this all to happen.

The Playstation due to better marketing and not much else has a firm hold of the market, and the Playstation 2 only got lots of people wanting it from the hype, the dvd player and the brand name's (Playstation and Sony). But why? Because Sony have put more money promating the name Playstation. When the Playstation 2 was first released Sony spent wisly on creating hype for the machine even though it wasnt out for anyother year. And when it was released the gap between the Dreamcast and the Playstation 2 started to grow as millions of PS2's were sold in japan in the first week, not on the strenght of its games, but mostly for its DVD player and hype.

All Doom and gloom though? Not really. Ive covered the BAD part first to let you know how things have been. Rather than cover it all in a sugary chocolate coating. I own a Dreamcast and everyone of Segas machines, but have never had a PSX or PS2, sure i love some of the games on the PSX, such as MGS, Ridge Racer and Time crisis, but there are games that i would never have been able to play without my sega machines. im not saying i would never have a PSX ever, if i had the chance to get one i would, but right now with it dieing and the PS2 being very expensive i cant. I made my choice with Sega and am glad. Im just giving you the facts about Sega.

Now, the good news is (many may disagree) that Sega are going multiplatform and actually trying to get money and not spend it. If they carried on like they have done in the past there would be no more Sega. Not many people have had the joys of some of Segas games, but with them spending a huge amount of time converting titels, many of you will and see what you have been missing. With Sony using the marketing skills, and especially the magazines saying Sega is the best now they have joined Sony, Sega will have a stunning christmas and this can only help the dreamcast sell its last consoles but also its new and upcoming games.

With Sega producing a wealth of new game ideas and styles for the Dreamcast and many other consoles, their name being associated with companies like Sony and Nintendo can only help its console by getting new fans to see the name Sega, and think wow a console dedicated to sega games, i gotta get me one of thoes. With this kind of attention sega is now getting it can only boost sales of the Dreamcast console and its games.

Sad as it may seem, Machines win or lose on their image. The Mega drive beat the Snes cos it was seen as 'Trendier'. This is whats happened with the playstation and the PS2. But fear not it nots to late. Sega are going about it the right way, make games for a trendy machine, be seen as trendy and in turn your machine will be seen as hip and cool if the games are up to scratch. Now is a better time than ever to get a cheap Dreamcast, with the games being released first, for less on the console than any other machine. And with Sega getting more money by selling the games on other machines, you can expect more a better titels to reach our shores before the DC is dead in 2003. And then there is still all the cool Sega games that'll never be converted.

Sun 06/05/01 at 14:56
Lets face it, the Dreamcast could have done better. A year and a half into its launch and its already been dropped like a brick into the swimming pool, where no one can pick it up.

Lets face it, Sony's walking away with things a little bit arnt they. Worldwide the dreamcast seemed to be doing fine, Millions had been sold around America and Europe, Millions of games had been sold and most developers wanted to make DC games cos of the ease of the machine to program for. But lack of punters buying the machine compared with Playstations and the lack of Segas money compared with Sony have created this all to happen.

The Playstation due to better marketing and not much else has a firm hold of the market, and the Playstation 2 only got lots of people wanting it from the hype, the dvd player and the brand name's (Playstation and Sony). But why? Because Sony have put more money promating the name Playstation. When the Playstation 2 was first released Sony spent wisly on creating hype for the machine even though it wasnt out for anyother year. And when it was released the gap between the Dreamcast and the Playstation 2 started to grow as millions of PS2's were sold in japan in the first week, not on the strenght of its games, but mostly for its DVD player and hype.

All Doom and gloom though? Not really. Ive covered the BAD part first to let you know how things have been. Rather than cover it all in a sugary chocolate coating. I own a Dreamcast and everyone of Segas machines, but have never had a PSX or PS2, sure i love some of the games on the PSX, such as MGS, Ridge Racer and Time crisis, but there are games that i would never have been able to play without my sega machines. im not saying i would never have a PSX ever, if i had the chance to get one i would, but right now with it dieing and the PS2 being very expensive i cant. I made my choice with Sega and am glad. Im just giving you the facts about Sega.

Now, the good news is (many may disagree) that Sega are going multiplatform and actually trying to get money and not spend it. If they carried on like they have done in the past there would be no more Sega. Not many people have had the joys of some of Segas games, but with them spending a huge amount of time converting titels, many of you will and see what you have been missing. With Sony using the marketing skills, and especially the magazines saying Sega is the best now they have joined Sony, Sega will have a stunning christmas and this can only help the dreamcast sell its last consoles but also its new and upcoming games.

With Sega producing a wealth of new game ideas and styles for the Dreamcast and many other consoles, their name being associated with companies like Sony and Nintendo can only help its console by getting new fans to see the name Sega, and think wow a console dedicated to sega games, i gotta get me one of thoes. With this kind of attention sega is now getting it can only boost sales of the Dreamcast console and its games.

Sad as it may seem, Machines win or lose on their image. The Mega drive beat the Snes cos it was seen as 'Trendier'. This is whats happened with the playstation and the PS2. But fear not it nots to late. Sega are going about it the right way, make games for a trendy machine, be seen as trendy and in turn your machine will be seen as hip and cool if the games are up to scratch. Now is a better time than ever to get a cheap Dreamcast, with the games being released first, for less on the console than any other machine. And with Sega getting more money by selling the games on other machines, you can expect more a better titels to reach our shores before the DC is dead in 2003. And then there is still all the cool Sega games that'll never be converted.

Sun 06/05/01 at 15:05
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Sega, I feel will bounce back with some console or another in about 5 years.
Thats my feeling.
Why wouldn't they? If they buid up an enormous reputation with their games, Multi-Formats (Which They will) People will recognise the brand as of High Quality.
The PS On the other hand, well, the reason to it's success was the N64 Going with Carts(See my post about N64 to see what I mean), but at the same time you cant argue with the marketing that Sony had with the PS.
Sun 06/05/01 at 19:38
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Sega only beat the SNES in the UK... the US and the rest of the world preferred Nintendos box of tricks... ?!?

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.