GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Possibly a baltant gameaday attempt.... if nobody notices, that is."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/05/01 at 14:56
Regular
I feel that Rare have made a huge mistake by trying to change their 'cutesy' image. Or rather, the way in which they have done it.

Perfect Dark has always been advertised as "the sequel to Goldeneye". Goldeneye was, of course, available for all to enjoy, young and old. And until now, nobody knew that the game would receive any rating at all. Therefore, for three years, everyone from toddlers to pensioners have been anticipating the release of Perfect Dark, waiting to get their copy. However, Rare's decision to add more gore than before has meant that a large portion of the fan base are not allowed to buy the game legally - surely a commercial disaster by Rare, considering that the changes hardly add much to the game? Wrong. Rare (surely) know as well as everyone else that any kid can get hold of any game or film, just by getting a parent or older sibling to buy it for them. This means that, rather than improve their image, Rare will 'disturb the minds of innocent children' (as the BBFC will inform you). I know that this is probably untrue, but Perfect Dark still encourages law-breaking, just because of its prequel's popularity.

And it's the same with "Conker's Big Adventure" / "Conker's Bad Fur Day". Conker was originally going to appeal to children particularly, but has gone full circle and is now going to be an 'adult humour'-only game (I think it's ironic that under the USA's rating system, Conker's Bad Fur Day will be rated as "Mature"!). Conker was introduced in Diddy Kong Racing - a cutesy racing game. So any Conker game will appeal to fans of DKR - young or old. I think that, if anything, the lead character should be changed - to break any bonds with DKR. Or, better still, the cartoon element should be eliminated all together. Everyone knows that adult cartoons do not work (just look at South Park).

I want to know what both children and adults think of this situation. I would also like to tell Rare that anyone can and will get hold of your games, no matter what rating they are, because they are so damned good. Although this pathetic protest it probably not going to affect Britain's gaming giants, but at least consider the consequences.
Sun 06/05/01 at 14:56
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I feel that Rare have made a huge mistake by trying to change their 'cutesy' image. Or rather, the way in which they have done it.

Perfect Dark has always been advertised as "the sequel to Goldeneye". Goldeneye was, of course, available for all to enjoy, young and old. And until now, nobody knew that the game would receive any rating at all. Therefore, for three years, everyone from toddlers to pensioners have been anticipating the release of Perfect Dark, waiting to get their copy. However, Rare's decision to add more gore than before has meant that a large portion of the fan base are not allowed to buy the game legally - surely a commercial disaster by Rare, considering that the changes hardly add much to the game? Wrong. Rare (surely) know as well as everyone else that any kid can get hold of any game or film, just by getting a parent or older sibling to buy it for them. This means that, rather than improve their image, Rare will 'disturb the minds of innocent children' (as the BBFC will inform you). I know that this is probably untrue, but Perfect Dark still encourages law-breaking, just because of its prequel's popularity.

And it's the same with "Conker's Big Adventure" / "Conker's Bad Fur Day". Conker was originally going to appeal to children particularly, but has gone full circle and is now going to be an 'adult humour'-only game (I think it's ironic that under the USA's rating system, Conker's Bad Fur Day will be rated as "Mature"!). Conker was introduced in Diddy Kong Racing - a cutesy racing game. So any Conker game will appeal to fans of DKR - young or old. I think that, if anything, the lead character should be changed - to break any bonds with DKR. Or, better still, the cartoon element should be eliminated all together. Everyone knows that adult cartoons do not work (just look at South Park).

I want to know what both children and adults think of this situation. I would also like to tell Rare that anyone can and will get hold of your games, no matter what rating they are, because they are so damned good. Although this pathetic protest it probably not going to affect Britain's gaming giants, but at least consider the consequences.
Sun 06/05/01 at 15:03
Goldeneye had no gore or ratings cos the studio (MGM) have made every james bond film under a rating of 12, if you watch the films no or VERY little blood is ever shown. And rare had to stick to that image of jamesbond, also even though there is loads of deaths in bond films, its like a national thing so the ratings for the films are never very high.

Also i think a lot of people voted for blood and gore to be in PD, cos thats what people want. Also making a game for children under 12, never really sell well now a days, you have to market for teenagers or upwards to get the audience and money you want. Thats why Conker was changed.
Sun 06/05/01 at 15:05
Regular
License to Kill was a 15. :0)
Sun 06/05/01 at 15:09
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Nothing wrong with South Park!
It is hilariously funny! In the same mould as Monty Python.
You need to have a sense of humour.
Sun 06/05/01 at 15:11
Regular
No, Monty Python was something completely different. South Park does rely on a much more childish humour. It's still quite funny mind, even if the games are awful.
Sun 06/05/01 at 15:40
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I don't think Rare have made a bad move in releasing Bad Fur Day. In fact i think they're trying to turn in the Guy Ritchie of the gaming industry ;-))

One thing i loved about the game is that it says "English and Proud" to me. You had lots of English slang and a couple of different accents in there (such as Scouse). A lot of games tend to avoid that, probably to appease the American's and other countries that will end up playing it. At least its got subtitles for those that can't understand the accents ;-))

I'd be happy to see more games like this from British companies cause I really enjoyed playing Conker's because I'm English and I really appreciated the English humour in it. The Americans and Japanese don't think of us when they throw in what they think is funny. Of course there are lots of funny games, but I've never laughed at any of them as much as i did Rares game.

Keep going Rare ! Your one of the best !

Sun 06/05/01 at 15:57
Cos americans dont get our humore cos they thick, they dont know what ironi is, also japs do have a good sense of humore, just when it gets translated it loses its humore or meaning. Americans are just thick when it comes to our humore, thats why most games have very little british humore so that it'll sell to the americans. Although their humore is funny, ours is better but they dont get it, look at men behaving badly, they had to rewrite the scripts for americans, and have american actors, while we have friends which is the same american program.
Sun 06/05/01 at 16:02
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah sorry to the yanks - but in my opinion, Bottom will always be better than poo Seinfeld or whatever the blokes name is ;-)) England Rules ! ;-)

Sun 06/05/01 at 16:04
Regular
I have to say, I think Seinfeld and Friends are both a load of rubbish. They're just not funny at all.

Give me some vintage Only Fools And Horses or some Red Dwarf instead!
Sun 06/05/01 at 16:09
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
All british comedys are alot funnier than american ones. Friends id funny but it does not compare with red dwarf, bottem, fr ted and the like.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.