GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC vs Console"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/05/00 at 23:40
Regular
A debate that has been raging for a very long time, Console owners versus PC owners.....

A guaranteed argument will occur whenever one or the other says their machine is the best, no idea why, i guess it's one of them universal constant things :-)

Anyway, i'd really like to see what people think, it'd be fun to finally settle the argument once and for all, and since i don't own a console i'll put foward the argument for PC games.

Firstly, something that console owners always go on about is their joypads. I'm sorry, but the PC has a great selection of pads than any console could ever have, and all the other little additions that a console uses are catered for by a PC quite happily. Force FeedBack, Motion sensing, Shooting, Driving, Fighting, Flying....the lot, all in there and catered for by so many joysticks no one store keeps them all.

Ok, down to the games themselves. I'm sorry, but this is where the PC wins hands down. The games are SO much more in depth, SO much better looking, and are continually added to months after their release.

For instance, i've been playing Q2 now for 3 years, sometimes i ask myself why, but then i realise exactly what it is that keeps making me come back to it. Modifications. There are so many mods for the game now it's ludicrous. There are Mods of Mods, modifications of a modification that was so good it's spawned a wole new genre of Q2.

The games have graphical effects that that Playstation, and in many respects the Playstation 2 can only dream of, and it advances so much quicker than a console does. A game thats barely six months old can look SO dated graphically as the next big thing is released. The other thing is customisation. One thing thats always so annoyed me about console games is the lack of custom settings. In a PC game you can generally alter it all about yourself, change skins for your characters, alter your keys, tweak your graphics it's astounding what you can do to most of these games, you can even build mods of many games yourself.

Then theres the multiplayer aspect of PC games, console games multiplayer are all well and good, but you never feel too involved, especially over the net on a console. But on a PC theres a whole multiplayer group out there. With a PC game, you'll start playing on a server with a few people, then you'll talk to them in a newsgroup, get to know them, organise games at other servers with them, setup a little community. I've been involved in several and it's definitely more fun playing people you know than people you don't.

Anyway, thats all i can think of :-)
Thu 11/05/00 at 23:40
A debate that has been raging for a very long time, Console owners versus PC owners.....

A guaranteed argument will occur whenever one or the other says their machine is the best, no idea why, i guess it's one of them universal constant things :-)

Anyway, i'd really like to see what people think, it'd be fun to finally settle the argument once and for all, and since i don't own a console i'll put foward the argument for PC games.

Firstly, something that console owners always go on about is their joypads. I'm sorry, but the PC has a great selection of pads than any console could ever have, and all the other little additions that a console uses are catered for by a PC quite happily. Force FeedBack, Motion sensing, Shooting, Driving, Fighting, Flying....the lot, all in there and catered for by so many joysticks no one store keeps them all.

Ok, down to the games themselves. I'm sorry, but this is where the PC wins hands down. The games are SO much more in depth, SO much better looking, and are continually added to months after their release.

For instance, i've been playing Q2 now for 3 years, sometimes i ask myself why, but then i realise exactly what it is that keeps making me come back to it. Modifications. There are so many mods for the game now it's ludicrous. There are Mods of Mods, modifications of a modification that was so good it's spawned a wole new genre of Q2.

The games have graphical effects that that Playstation, and in many respects the Playstation 2 can only dream of, and it advances so much quicker than a console does. A game thats barely six months old can look SO dated graphically as the next big thing is released. The other thing is customisation. One thing thats always so annoyed me about console games is the lack of custom settings. In a PC game you can generally alter it all about yourself, change skins for your characters, alter your keys, tweak your graphics it's astounding what you can do to most of these games, you can even build mods of many games yourself.

Then theres the multiplayer aspect of PC games, console games multiplayer are all well and good, but you never feel too involved, especially over the net on a console. But on a PC theres a whole multiplayer group out there. With a PC game, you'll start playing on a server with a few people, then you'll talk to them in a newsgroup, get to know them, organise games at other servers with them, setup a little community. I've been involved in several and it's definitely more fun playing people you know than people you don't.

Anyway, thats all i can think of :-)
Fri 12/05/00 at 15:35
?????
Tue 16/05/00 at 00:38
ok, so it is a very old debate, however not as old as the rugby versus football debate (rugby requires more skill cos you have to be able to catch the ball and kick it versus rugby is a game for failed footballers). anyway, i thought i would reply seeing as you invited it.

in the last couple of years it has become obvious that the pc has technical capabilities which mean it can consistently remain at the cutting edge of graphics and sound - prividing you upgrade your machine every 6 months. this is not disputed.

however this can never be a valid grounds for comparison. how can we even begin a debate about a machine costing 1500 quid (1550 with a decent joypad) and one costing 47.99 at your local beatties closing down sale? What's better for making a cake, a wooden spoon or a kenwood mixer?

the only level on which any kind of comparison can be made is the gameplaying experience itself, and in my experience i would have to go with the consoles.

to me there's always a certain level of sterility and distance when playing pc games, possibly stemming from my preconceptions and experiences of struggling with games like sensi soccer on old 386s, listening to bleepy sounds and faced with a choice of keys or analogue (flight simulator) joystick to play on. these machines just were not conceived with gameplaying in mind. but even today i find pc games just that little bit less accessable than thier console counterparts. they may be (slightly) prettier, piratable and twice as fast, but the lure of the console is never far away.

at the end of the day, i think the console and everything that goes with it is simply a little more 'fun' - a gang of you crowded around or sat on the sofa playing post-pub goldeneye simply cannot be beat i'm afraid. especially if it's just a very quick 5 minute blast you're after, consoles are great. that's all there is to it.

until the pc finds a place at the heart of home entertainment, a spot in the corner of the living room, the lure of switching on and playing within seconds of throwing your coat on the airchair (which i have no doubt may happen at some point, once digital tv, internet, email and dvd playback all happen from a box where the tv once was), then the console comes out on top, particularly as a social persuit.

but hey, it doesn't much matter. i'll shoot my mates from a tiny quarter of a tv screen and you can shoot yours on your 17 incher across the internet. at the end of the day it's all a good laugh.
Tue 16/05/00 at 00:41
sorry, but you'll never settle the argument once and for all :')

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.