GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shared schools"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/09/04 at 23:30
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was reading my local paper the other day when an article about mixed Catholic and non-denomanational(sp) primary schools. In Scotland, sectarinism is quite a big deal and personally I think breaking down that divide would help ease matters instead of bringing attention to the issue by seperating them.

Also, there are calls for seperate Muslim schools as well. This may bring the same problem.

I feel children should be mixed young and taught a good education. Religion should be taught at home/church/ in my personal opinion.
Thu 23/09/04 at 23:30
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was reading my local paper the other day when an article about mixed Catholic and non-denomanational(sp) primary schools. In Scotland, sectarinism is quite a big deal and personally I think breaking down that divide would help ease matters instead of bringing attention to the issue by seperating them.

Also, there are calls for seperate Muslim schools as well. This may bring the same problem.

I feel children should be mixed young and taught a good education. Religion should be taught at home/church/ in my personal opinion.
Thu 23/09/04 at 23:39
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Wrong forum

BAh
Thu 23/09/04 at 23:57
Regular
Religion to be taught as a general subject, instead of 'here are your beliefs, deal with them'.

Yes, bad. World sucks.
Thu 23/09/04 at 23:59
Regular
"Excommunicated"
R.E at Secondary was terrible. It could be good but instead we got told what our 'own' beliefs were. I argued and got the worst mark in my report card. I'd always been top of the class until it dawned on me.

Ahhhh comformity.
Fri 24/09/04 at 00:10
Regular
Well, that sucks.

I challenged what was told in the bible and was given a merit for it. Our teacher was cool, come to think of it.

I think I was considering studying it at A-Level. My father wouldn't allow me, ended up failing a bunch of 'important' subjects that I hated.

Moral of the day: Challenge teachers and kill your fathers.
Fri 24/09/04 at 00:14
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Locally there is a bit of a shake up between schools and the plans are to join certain schools together and build new better schools for these created schools.
Theres been an uproar from some parents about combining a catholic and non catholic school together.
One parent said "I'aint havin' ma kid walk past those statues"

It would make sense to teach kids about religion, all religions from an early age, but a lot of the times there are parents who don't want their kids learning about Muslims or Jews etc.
Fri 24/09/04 at 00:37
Regular
"thunderful"
According to my sociology teacher, it's mostly a west of Scotland problem. I went to a catholic school and we were taught, briefly, about other religions.

There was a Jewish girl in my year that got to sit out on all RE lessons. How I envied her.

I agree that all children should be taught in mixed school, with every religion being taught. Perhaps not in depth, but at least the basics. That way, hopefully, when they grow up to be adults, and even in their teens, they'll be less likely to be bigots.
Fri 24/09/04 at 01:27
"I love yo... lamp."
Well it appears from exam results and pass rates that single gender schools perform better on average. But not denominational schools. The Muslim school in Glasgow (Iqra? I know it's at least a kebab shop) was one of the worst schools in Glasgow. Integration is better than isolation at the very least.
Fri 24/09/04 at 02:03
Regular
"Monochromatic"
The more you seperate people the bigger the target they become, if you seperate schools based on beliefs it only takes one idiot to target them where theyre all together.
I'm really not sure where i stand on the teaching of religions in schools, i used to think it should be kept out, i don't see that giving kids reasons be divided is a good idea.
On the other hand i think teaching at home leaves room for miseducation, ill-informed opinions and prejudices providing they are taught anything to begin with.
I personally was taught about religions until about 12 and then R.E. turned into something different, a bit more about morality and philosophy and it was all the better for it, i've never been interested in religion and it was nice to get away from it's rigidity and look into more personal thinking and i think thats the way it should be, tell people stories, let them choose what to believe and then move onto making them think for themselves.
Fri 24/09/04 at 10:15
Regular
It was quite funny, about 6 months back, we had some religious meeting, where some Imam, a Rabbi, a Catholic Priest guy and Church of Scotland Minister dude all came to the assembly hall, (they were all pretty high in their respective religions if you know what I mean, not just some random priest picked off the street), and we were to set up questions to ask in advance, and one of them asked them their thoughts on single religion schools, and it went through the Imam, Rabbi, and minister first, who all said they think they should be scrapped, then the priest said he thought they were a good idea (obviously he would), and the other three gave him a dirty look, it was hilarious.

But in the papers up here (especially the Evening Times in Glasgow) there's always some cry about secretarianism, especially with the big Rangers/Celtic divide, so there's always stories about incidents, and teh main reason for it is Catholic schools. There was these two schools in Glasgow, one non-denominational, and the other catholic, which shared the same campus thing, but children were not allowed to cross a certainline in the playground between the two schools, despite the fact that many children had mates in the other school.
It's sheer madness and they sould be scrapped, as should religion, the main causes of all conflicts.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.