GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Scientists discover the already obvious shocker"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/09/04 at 20:18
Regular
From the Guardian:

"From second-rate horror films to episodes of Scooby-Doo, ominous paintings whose staring eyes follow a character around the room, no matter where they go, have been used to spooky effect. But now a team of scientists believe they have solved the mystery of how they do it.
A group working on how our brains interpret images found that as long as a character in a painting is looking straight ahead, our brains will perceive they are staring at us, no matter the angle from which we view the painting. A striking example is The Laughing Cavalier by Frans Hals, the 17th century Dutch painter.

The explanation lies in how we interpret three-dimensional objects portrayed on a flat surface. Real three-dimensional objects look different depending on the angle bec-ause of the changing way light falls across them. But on the flat canvas, shading and light are fixed and the image looks the same from every angle.

James Todd of Ohio State University and co-author of the study said: "If a person in a painting is looking straight out, it will always appear that way, regardless of the angle at which it is viewed."

The scientists, writing in the journal Perception, took hundreds of measurements of 3D images displayed on a computer screen. They found that whatever angle the images were viewed from, they always looked the same.

Jonathan Jones, the Guardian's art critic, said: "It'd be wonderful if people gave art historians the kind of grants that scientists seem to get to research art. Morons."

I mean, we *knew* this already. You don't have to take "hundreds of measurements". Just think about it for a couple of milliseconds.
Mon 27/09/04 at 11:34
Regular
Some have disguises though. Luckily, I'm well-equipped for this kind of terror: I have my 'Cath-dar', and it tingles when they are a-lurking.

"Dis guys in disguise", I'd say.
Mon 27/09/04 at 11:31
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ah, so you're all set then.
Mon 27/09/04 at 11:28
Regular
They have beady eyes, fair skin and fangs.
Mon 27/09/04 at 11:15
Regular
"gsybe you!"
How do you tell if the person's Roman Catholic?
Mon 27/09/04 at 11:15
Regular
10 points for trying...
Mon 27/09/04 at 11:14
Regular
That's what my Special Card says.

See, each Hermaphrodite carries a Special Card, to prove that they're a hermaph without actually exposing themselves. It also lists our IQ (to show common peasants that we aren't stupid).

Course, since Roman Catholics don't technically believe in hermaphrodites we have to be careful who we show the card to.
Mon 27/09/04 at 11:07
Regular
Tanoy wrote:
> Well, thanks for reiterating my point. If anyone here requires a
> parrot I'll be sure to pass on your details, mate.

Oh, you're a genius
Mon 27/09/04 at 11:03
Regular
Fozz wrote:
> omg. that is such a useful discovery. I must now go and kill myself.

Umm...I think we were supposed to laugh.

Unless he was being serious, in which case we should call the police...right?
Sat 25/09/04 at 22:29
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
omg. that is such a useful discovery. I must now go and kill myself.
Sat 25/09/04 at 20:35
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Hedfix wrote:
> "I wanted a cure for cancer and all I got was this lousy
> t-shirt"
>
> "I wanted a cure for AIDS and all I got were these lousy
> T-cells"

Genius

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.