GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC11 - The Mask"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/09/04 at 20:13
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
He sat in the room, staring at the walls. He couldn’t move, as every step brought the walls in closer. He couldn’t speak, as they moved in further still. All he could do was turn, yet he did not want to; the large wicked smile painted on the wall behind him chilled him to the bone. He could not look forward, as he felt the eyes boring into his head, but he was too scared to face it. In the room, so simple, so quiet, all he could hear were the frequent cackles from the grinning mask.

To his left, the wall showed images of fear and despair, of love lost and bonds broken. To his right, the opposite wall showed care and affection, and happiness beyond all words. Yet still, overlooking it all was the grinning face behind him, watching his every move. He had to stay unruffled and composed, otherwise the face would be startled and move the walls in closer. He didn’t want to be crushed in this way. Crushed between emotions and feelings that were often too strong to control, but contrary to each other in how they made him feel.

He continued to stare at the wall ahead, the only one that displayed nothing, the only one that made him feel secure. If he ignored the cackles, surely they would stop; the face would not be there next time he built up the courage to turn? If he ignored the images on either side of him, they would disappear, leaving him composed and with nothing to worry about? The grey, lifeless mass in front was his only hope of survival; how that made him feel. A scene that would eventually bore and depress most was his only comfort. It didn’t make any sense, how could I have got here? What was this situation he had got himself into?

He had almost given up hope when a small rectangle of light appeared on the wall in front of him. A figure stood in the light, a silhouette against the blinding rays. They filled the room with red light: a warming, but dangerous, light. He sheltered his eyes at first, until they had grown more accustomed to the sudden illumination. He saw the figure come closer, ever so graciously, like an angel, but with that touch of something unknown, that something you really need to know, otherwise you feel you must fear it. He saw the shape of a girl approach, and stand maybe three feet in front of him. As he looked up at her, she extended a hand, he was so tempted to take it, but he knew that it might lead to tears and loneliness. A feeling of risk took over, and at the same time she grabbed his arm.

“I love you, darling”, she said, and lifted him to his feet. Then, they turned for the rectangle of light at the room’s end. He was finally leaving the room, he felt so happy, but still so unsure. Maybe that was why the grinning mask was cackling louder than ever as they walked out together, his hand locked in hers.
Sat 02/10/04 at 10:46
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
To me it seemed like you were capturing part of every childhood, fear.

Overall, nice work.
Tue 28/09/04 at 22:34
Regular
"Not a Jew"
First go? Nice one.
Anyway, I liked the conflicting emotions bit as well and how each wall represented something. Wasn't too fussed on the ending though. Don't know why.
Wed 22/09/04 at 19:34
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Another short one

Well, I thought what with it being a short story competition, this would suit the criteria more, and therefore increase my chance of a victory.
Wed 22/09/04 at 18:34
"period drama"
Another short one - a judge's dream.
And good with it. You're too kind.
Tue 21/09/04 at 22:14
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Good considering its your first attempt.

Hmmm, yeah.
Tue 21/09/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
Good work. Now Im scared to stare at walls for long periods of time.
Tue 21/09/04 at 20:22
"possibly impossible"
Interesting take on conflicting emotions. Had a teen angst feel to it.
Tue 21/09/04 at 20:13
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
He sat in the room, staring at the walls. He couldn’t move, as every step brought the walls in closer. He couldn’t speak, as they moved in further still. All he could do was turn, yet he did not want to; the large wicked smile painted on the wall behind him chilled him to the bone. He could not look forward, as he felt the eyes boring into his head, but he was too scared to face it. In the room, so simple, so quiet, all he could hear were the frequent cackles from the grinning mask.

To his left, the wall showed images of fear and despair, of love lost and bonds broken. To his right, the opposite wall showed care and affection, and happiness beyond all words. Yet still, overlooking it all was the grinning face behind him, watching his every move. He had to stay unruffled and composed, otherwise the face would be startled and move the walls in closer. He didn’t want to be crushed in this way. Crushed between emotions and feelings that were often too strong to control, but contrary to each other in how they made him feel.

He continued to stare at the wall ahead, the only one that displayed nothing, the only one that made him feel secure. If he ignored the cackles, surely they would stop; the face would not be there next time he built up the courage to turn? If he ignored the images on either side of him, they would disappear, leaving him composed and with nothing to worry about? The grey, lifeless mass in front was his only hope of survival; how that made him feel. A scene that would eventually bore and depress most was his only comfort. It didn’t make any sense, how could I have got here? What was this situation he had got himself into?

He had almost given up hope when a small rectangle of light appeared on the wall in front of him. A figure stood in the light, a silhouette against the blinding rays. They filled the room with red light: a warming, but dangerous, light. He sheltered his eyes at first, until they had grown more accustomed to the sudden illumination. He saw the figure come closer, ever so graciously, like an angel, but with that touch of something unknown, that something you really need to know, otherwise you feel you must fear it. He saw the shape of a girl approach, and stand maybe three feet in front of him. As he looked up at her, she extended a hand, he was so tempted to take it, but he knew that it might lead to tears and loneliness. A feeling of risk took over, and at the same time she grabbed his arm.

“I love you, darling”, she said, and lifted him to his feet. Then, they turned for the rectangle of light at the room’s end. He was finally leaving the room, he felt so happy, but still so unsure. Maybe that was why the grinning mask was cackling louder than ever as they walked out together, his hand locked in hers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.