GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone use Alcohol 120%?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/09/04 at 14:36
Regular
Just discovered this as an alternative/addition to using Nero and DVD shrink, but I'm a bit stuck with something.

Burnt something that worked fine, had two files, the CD image and another (something like .mdf and .mds) Or something like that.

Anyway I went to burn another thing that can only be done with alcohol apparently and only had one of the files (The .mdf One)
Is it still possible to burn it with just the one file?
How do I do it then?

If not how do I get the other file? Can I create one somehow?

Cheers if you can help. :-)
Tue 21/09/04 at 14:36
Regular
Just discovered this as an alternative/addition to using Nero and DVD shrink, but I'm a bit stuck with something.

Burnt something that worked fine, had two files, the CD image and another (something like .mdf and .mds) Or something like that.

Anyway I went to burn another thing that can only be done with alcohol apparently and only had one of the files (The .mdf One)
Is it still possible to burn it with just the one file?
How do I do it then?

If not how do I get the other file? Can I create one somehow?

Cheers if you can help. :-)
Tue 21/09/04 at 14:54
Regular
"Freeola Support"
I've heard of it some people I know swear by it, dunno about your question though
Tue 21/09/04 at 15:03
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
.mds
Media Descriptor CD Image File

This file is used by several different programs. It generally is found with an .ISO CD image file and is the equivalent of what a .CUE file is to a .BIN image.

Program ID: AlcoholImageFile

.mdf
Alcohol 120% CD Image File

One of several CD image formats that Alcohol 120% can mount. Alcohol 120% is used for media backup.

You either had a .ISO & a .MDS, in which case you probably need both, otherwise you should just have a single .MDF which you can useon it's own. The file size should give you a hint.
Tue 21/09/04 at 15:09
Regular
"NULL"
No, you do usually get .mdf files with an associated .mds file. I've never acquired anything with a .iso anda .mds, but I have had .mdf and .mds
Tue 21/09/04 at 15:42
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nimco wrote:
> No, you do usually get .mdf files with an associated .mds file. I've
> never acquired anything with a .iso anda .mds, but I have had .mdf
> and .mds

i knoew it was one or the other. In that case, he needs the .mdf and the .mds, though he should be able to get away with just the .mdf.

Can't you use Alcohol to mount the mdf to a virtual drive and than create a new disc image from that?
Tue 21/09/04 at 16:36
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Its just the .mdf file I have, not sure if I can mount it to a virtual drive or not. Now that I'm home I'm going to see if UltraISO will convert it to an ISO and I'll use that or if I can get the .mds file for it from somewhere.
Tue 21/09/04 at 17:11
Regular
"NULL"
Yeah, you don't need the .mds file to mount it. Never was quite sure what you do need the .mds files for - I just delete them. Careful when converting .mdf to .iso recently. I did this recently only to find that the .mdf file had a bit more information than the .iso could store, and consequently my "product" wouldn't function. I think a .mdf mounted can better emulate a real cd or something
Wed 22/09/04 at 00:39
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Mounted the file and it worked that way.
Thanks
Wed 22/09/04 at 16:43
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Alcohol120% is God like.
The virtual drive system is fantastic.
Thu 23/09/04 at 06:37
Regular
Azul wrote:
> Alcohol120% is God like.
> The virtual drive system is fantastic.

Can't argue with that

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.