GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Local' wrestler dies during event..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/09/04 at 16:37
Regular
I apologise for this column being so poorly layed out...I got it from the BYW board at my other forums.

----------------------

At 5:30am Sunday September 19, five members of the Lake Geneva local wrestling frederation, the New World Wrestling Federation, gathered in the yard of the "owner" Jakk Ott.
"It seemed like a normal morning for us. We got together, had some breakfast and talked about the day."-Jakk
A normal morning it indeed seemed to be. Wrestlers in attendance were: James Weren, betterly known as Foxx, Andy Harris, betterly known as The Amateur, Jakk Ott, the owner, Cody Loiselle, betterly known as SuRgE, and Frederic Ferris, or betterly known as Freddy Ferris.
"We had just finished eating and we began to talk about stuff we would do later in the day"-Cody
The New World Wrestling Federation(NwwF) would be classified as a backyard wrestling federation. For those not to saavy on the concept, most b.y.w. federations revolve around brutal in your face, bloody, hardcore wrestling. But the Nwwf was different:
"We actually wanted a somewhat professional look to our federation, so we all pitched in and saved up enought money to buy a ring from [a retailer over the internet]. At first, we were just messing around, just having fun and at that time, making it a legitimate operation didn't even cross my mind. But if I can recall, about a month later, we got the idea to print up fliers and see if our community members would attend and watch our shows" Jakk recalls
"Our first night, we only had like six or seven guys on the roster. But there actually were a lot of people that came to watch." James remembers
Among those in the crowd, was the new man to the community, Fred Ferris. His family had just moved in from Missouri and was a family of wrestling fans. His father, Gregory Ferris had grown up watching wrestlers like the killer Kowalski and Nature Boy Buddy Rogers. His mother, Tina Ferris had grown up watching wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Sgt. Slaughter, and Andre the Giant. Freddy was born in 1985 and was raised watching wrestling. He had never seen an event live because of his parents busy lives, His father was a real estate agent and would come home late at night. His mother was a nurse, so her schedule was busy as well. With parents away frome home, Freddy spent most of his time with his uncle John Ferris. John was an extreme fan and once beat a man to near death for saying wrestling was fake.
"For our first show, it went pretty good. The crowd was in to it and I figured we may have something here."-Andy said "I went to Jakk and told him we could get a few more guys and we could charge admission and have weekly shows. Naturally, Jakk loved the idea."
"After the idea was brought to me, we put up fliers asking for people who wanted to become wrestlers in our federation. And I can clearly remember, the first guy to see me was Freddy [Ferris]. He had some skills, but we helped him out and he became a great wrestler." Jakk told us.
When the casting call was answered, approximately 10 people showed up. All of who are still wrestling for the federation today.
"Freddy liked to do flips and crazy moves. I think in his head, his mission was not to beat the other guy, it was to entertain the crowd, and believe me, he did it." James says.
James Weren was one of the original five who started out. James's style is/was the same as Freddy's, except not as dangerous.
"Freddy was constantly getting hurt. His problem was that he did things without thinking, now that can be a good or bad thing, but it was mostly a bad thing." Cody said, who is currently out on an injury himself. "He would suggest to be in crazy matches, ladder matches, table matches and whatnot."
A ladder match is where a certain item is hung above the ring where it can only be reached using a ladder. And a table match is where the only way to win the match is but putting the opponent through a table to win.
"We didn't like to be fake, so we used real items, real tables, real chairs. We used the ticket sales and generous donations to purchase the items, and one time used them to hire a company to build us a [wooden] arena. Even though it cost us a pretty penny, i think it was for the best." Jakk explained
Freddy's winning maneuver was called the Ferris Wheel, or a 720 degree flip.
"Freddy would always take the move one step up. He would grab a ladder for leverage and he'd hit a 900 [degree finisher]. And he would try to find out ways to get higher to hit a bigger move." Andy
But this morning, things were different, during the daily check of the wrestling ring to make sure it wasn't broken to ensure no injuries, Jakk found something.
"Everything seemed okay, until I got to the bottom right turnbuckle. I found that the threads of it were getting stripped. So I told the guys and we called some professionals. They said it would be at least five hours until they could arrive and fix the problem."
The NwwF holds shows both in the morning and in the evening. Since the ring was broken, the guys decided to hold a more backyard type event.
"So we went to the arena and brought all of the fans to Jakk's yard and do a match or two. The match was the current champion, The Amateur vs Freddy Ferris. Wrestlers SuRgE, Foxx and Jakk decided to make it a tables match, so SuRgE and Foxx went to get the table.
"I really wasn't too keen on the idea, because of my injury." Cody pulled a groin muscle in a match few days ago. Although he said it was felling exceptionally better he didn't want to take any chances. "So me and James went to get the table from the arena and he started to goof around and eventually dropped his end of the table. He picked it up and began to goof off again. And like deja vu, the table fell again. I told him to stop it and hurry up. When we got to the event, the match already started, so we set the table up, but I noticed James's side was a little off. I checked it and found out that there was a screw missing, and another was loose. I was trying to fix it, but Andy came and took it away and set it up."
After that the match went back and forth as usual. Freddy then put Andy on the table and grabbed a ladder and propped it against Jakk's house.
" I wasn't sure what he was doing because in our federation, we don't plan out matches, we improvise to make it less predictible."
[Note:the NwwF is held in a trailer park, not normal houses]
Freddy climbed the ladder and onto the roof of Jakk's house. He began to taunt for the crowd and eventually jumped off, begining the rotations for his finisher.
"It seemed that the minute Freddy jumped, the table Andy was on, gave out. One side collapsed and Andy fell off of it and the table ended upside down and the legs folded in." James recalls " I was surprised I caught all of it because it happened in like a split second."
When happened next was tragic. Freddy landed on the hard ground face first to a loud thud. The crowd was stunned and and silent. Jakk, Cody, and James ran over to check on him.
"I checked his pulse.....nothing. I was so panicked, the adrenaline was flowing, it was such a rush."-Jakk
Jakk rolled Freddy over and blood drained from Freddy's mouth. He engaged cpr, but to no avail.
"I asked anyone for a cell phone and i called 911." Cody says
When the paramedics arrived, they tried to revive him, but it didn't work. The area was hushed and many were in tears.
"Its just one of those things you never expect to happen, but it does. And there is nothing you can do about it." James says, "But he accomplished his dream, he did a 1080 flip.He would be proud of himself. Now he is up there laying the smackdown on those angels [laughs and whipes a tear away from his eye].

Frederic William Ferris 1985-2004

You will be missed, and never forgotten, Rest In Peace.

----------------------

Damn...this is why I don't like Backyard Wrestling.
Mon 20/09/04 at 16:37
Regular
I apologise for this column being so poorly layed out...I got it from the BYW board at my other forums.

----------------------

At 5:30am Sunday September 19, five members of the Lake Geneva local wrestling frederation, the New World Wrestling Federation, gathered in the yard of the "owner" Jakk Ott.
"It seemed like a normal morning for us. We got together, had some breakfast and talked about the day."-Jakk
A normal morning it indeed seemed to be. Wrestlers in attendance were: James Weren, betterly known as Foxx, Andy Harris, betterly known as The Amateur, Jakk Ott, the owner, Cody Loiselle, betterly known as SuRgE, and Frederic Ferris, or betterly known as Freddy Ferris.
"We had just finished eating and we began to talk about stuff we would do later in the day"-Cody
The New World Wrestling Federation(NwwF) would be classified as a backyard wrestling federation. For those not to saavy on the concept, most b.y.w. federations revolve around brutal in your face, bloody, hardcore wrestling. But the Nwwf was different:
"We actually wanted a somewhat professional look to our federation, so we all pitched in and saved up enought money to buy a ring from [a retailer over the internet]. At first, we were just messing around, just having fun and at that time, making it a legitimate operation didn't even cross my mind. But if I can recall, about a month later, we got the idea to print up fliers and see if our community members would attend and watch our shows" Jakk recalls
"Our first night, we only had like six or seven guys on the roster. But there actually were a lot of people that came to watch." James remembers
Among those in the crowd, was the new man to the community, Fred Ferris. His family had just moved in from Missouri and was a family of wrestling fans. His father, Gregory Ferris had grown up watching wrestlers like the killer Kowalski and Nature Boy Buddy Rogers. His mother, Tina Ferris had grown up watching wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Sgt. Slaughter, and Andre the Giant. Freddy was born in 1985 and was raised watching wrestling. He had never seen an event live because of his parents busy lives, His father was a real estate agent and would come home late at night. His mother was a nurse, so her schedule was busy as well. With parents away frome home, Freddy spent most of his time with his uncle John Ferris. John was an extreme fan and once beat a man to near death for saying wrestling was fake.
"For our first show, it went pretty good. The crowd was in to it and I figured we may have something here."-Andy said "I went to Jakk and told him we could get a few more guys and we could charge admission and have weekly shows. Naturally, Jakk loved the idea."
"After the idea was brought to me, we put up fliers asking for people who wanted to become wrestlers in our federation. And I can clearly remember, the first guy to see me was Freddy [Ferris]. He had some skills, but we helped him out and he became a great wrestler." Jakk told us.
When the casting call was answered, approximately 10 people showed up. All of who are still wrestling for the federation today.
"Freddy liked to do flips and crazy moves. I think in his head, his mission was not to beat the other guy, it was to entertain the crowd, and believe me, he did it." James says.
James Weren was one of the original five who started out. James's style is/was the same as Freddy's, except not as dangerous.
"Freddy was constantly getting hurt. His problem was that he did things without thinking, now that can be a good or bad thing, but it was mostly a bad thing." Cody said, who is currently out on an injury himself. "He would suggest to be in crazy matches, ladder matches, table matches and whatnot."
A ladder match is where a certain item is hung above the ring where it can only be reached using a ladder. And a table match is where the only way to win the match is but putting the opponent through a table to win.
"We didn't like to be fake, so we used real items, real tables, real chairs. We used the ticket sales and generous donations to purchase the items, and one time used them to hire a company to build us a [wooden] arena. Even though it cost us a pretty penny, i think it was for the best." Jakk explained
Freddy's winning maneuver was called the Ferris Wheel, or a 720 degree flip.
"Freddy would always take the move one step up. He would grab a ladder for leverage and he'd hit a 900 [degree finisher]. And he would try to find out ways to get higher to hit a bigger move." Andy
But this morning, things were different, during the daily check of the wrestling ring to make sure it wasn't broken to ensure no injuries, Jakk found something.
"Everything seemed okay, until I got to the bottom right turnbuckle. I found that the threads of it were getting stripped. So I told the guys and we called some professionals. They said it would be at least five hours until they could arrive and fix the problem."
The NwwF holds shows both in the morning and in the evening. Since the ring was broken, the guys decided to hold a more backyard type event.
"So we went to the arena and brought all of the fans to Jakk's yard and do a match or two. The match was the current champion, The Amateur vs Freddy Ferris. Wrestlers SuRgE, Foxx and Jakk decided to make it a tables match, so SuRgE and Foxx went to get the table.
"I really wasn't too keen on the idea, because of my injury." Cody pulled a groin muscle in a match few days ago. Although he said it was felling exceptionally better he didn't want to take any chances. "So me and James went to get the table from the arena and he started to goof around and eventually dropped his end of the table. He picked it up and began to goof off again. And like deja vu, the table fell again. I told him to stop it and hurry up. When we got to the event, the match already started, so we set the table up, but I noticed James's side was a little off. I checked it and found out that there was a screw missing, and another was loose. I was trying to fix it, but Andy came and took it away and set it up."
After that the match went back and forth as usual. Freddy then put Andy on the table and grabbed a ladder and propped it against Jakk's house.
" I wasn't sure what he was doing because in our federation, we don't plan out matches, we improvise to make it less predictible."
[Note:the NwwF is held in a trailer park, not normal houses]
Freddy climbed the ladder and onto the roof of Jakk's house. He began to taunt for the crowd and eventually jumped off, begining the rotations for his finisher.
"It seemed that the minute Freddy jumped, the table Andy was on, gave out. One side collapsed and Andy fell off of it and the table ended upside down and the legs folded in." James recalls " I was surprised I caught all of it because it happened in like a split second."
When happened next was tragic. Freddy landed on the hard ground face first to a loud thud. The crowd was stunned and and silent. Jakk, Cody, and James ran over to check on him.
"I checked his pulse.....nothing. I was so panicked, the adrenaline was flowing, it was such a rush."-Jakk
Jakk rolled Freddy over and blood drained from Freddy's mouth. He engaged cpr, but to no avail.
"I asked anyone for a cell phone and i called 911." Cody says
When the paramedics arrived, they tried to revive him, but it didn't work. The area was hushed and many were in tears.
"Its just one of those things you never expect to happen, but it does. And there is nothing you can do about it." James says, "But he accomplished his dream, he did a 1080 flip.He would be proud of himself. Now he is up there laying the smackdown on those angels [laughs and whipes a tear away from his eye].

Frederic William Ferris 1985-2004

You will be missed, and never forgotten, Rest In Peace.

----------------------

Damn...this is why I don't like Backyard Wrestling.
Mon 20/09/04 at 18:31
Regular
I can't say I'll him or never forget him, because that just seems a bit pretentious if I've never heard of the guy before now. I blame his own dumb self, really.
Mon 20/09/04 at 19:03
Regular
"you've got a beard"
this is why it's best to learn how to do things PROPERLY and why backyard is so pitied in proper wrestling circles.

sucks though, a moment of bad luck combined with amateurish equipment and that's a life gone :(
Tue 21/09/04 at 09:09
Regular
"..."
19 is no age to die. I blame the 'owner' it's his responsibility to make sure his guys don't do anything to endanger themselves. I hope they all taske a long hard look at what they are doing now.
Tue 21/09/04 at 16:22
Regular
I dunno about you, though, but if the ring is unsafe, generally, I'd cancel the event.
Tue 21/09/04 at 16:25
Regular
"..."
DW wrote:
> I dunno about you, though, but if the ring is unsafe, generally, I'd
> cancel the event.

good point DW. I'm not sure of the logic of figuring no ring is somehow safer than a breaking one...
Thu 23/09/04 at 11:21
Regular
"Ow Yer"
A 1080 flip is a great achievement and its jusst sad it had to end the way it did but as you sed he went living his dream and doing what he loves to do

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.